Offensive coordinator discussion/odds...

RobK

All-SEC
Aug 27, 2004
Holts Summit, MO
knodell.blog-city.com
If someone already with the program (Locksley ) or very recently so ( Napier ) were CNS` first choice and wanted the job, does anyone think that it probably would have already happened?
With Napier I would say that is most likely true. If Coach Saban wanted him for the job, and if he wanted the job, then why spend another day in Tempe? With Locksley, it may be a little more complicated given the mix of open offensive positions and talking to different people, seeing who might fit where.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Well, here's to hoping it's not anyone the fans are currently focusing on...
Dan Enos seems a popular choice from scanning the other thread...you don't like him?

While I doubt Chip Kelly, if CNS chose that direction, I think he'd been considered a homerun hire, wouldn't you?

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Dan Enos seems a popular choice from scanning the other thread...you don't like him?

While I doubt Chip Kelly, if CNS chose that direction, I think he'd been considered a homerun hire, wouldn't you?
Certainly would be the biggest " splash ". I don`t see how anyone would dispute that. Having said that though, I personally think that the question is begged as to whether or not he`d be the best fit as far as philosophy/need is concerned. FWIW (essentially nothing ), I`m in the Dan Enos camp myself.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Certainly would be the biggest " splash ". I don`t see how anyone would dispute that. Having said that though, I personally think that the question is begged as to whether or not he`d be the best fit as far as philosophy/need is concerned. FWIW (essentially nothing ), I`m in the Dan Enos camp myself.
I'm with you on Enos...love what he's done at Arkansas.

Harmost

All-American
Sep 19, 2005

There was definitely a bit of exaggeration there. Either of those would be nice, and I kinda-sorta like the idea of Bloomgren. I was more referring to the crop of NFL (or, recently fired from the NFL) guys with "ehhh"-at-best track records that have been getting recent mention. If the best you can do to talk yourself into a guy is "well, it's hard to judge NFL assistants"...

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006

I just don't see it. Home run hire in what way? Name recognition? Nothing he is known for fits what we do (or need to be doing for that matter).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I just don't see it. Home run hire in what way? Name recognition? Nothing he is known for fits what we do (or need to be doing for that matter).

So you don't think we need to run the ball? Because that's what Kelly would do. With out OL, he would be able to run more power, too. He never had the talent at Oregon that he would have here.

That being said, I don't expect him to be hired.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
So you don't think we need to run the ball? Because that's what Kelly would do. With out OL, he would be able to run more power, too. He never had the talent at Oregon that he would have here.

That being said, I don't expect him to be hired.
His philosophy has not translated well to the NFL, imo. Otherwise he wouldn't be looking for a job at the moment. Our roster top to bottom more closely resembles a NFL roster. So I believe we need to run an offense more tailored to showcase the talent on our roster. Doubling down on the spread running or passing doesnt do that and will undermine the talent in our roster.

I will say it again the 10+ carries that our QB gets per game is 10+ carries that a 5 star RB or WR is not getting. Sooner or later you won't have the 5 star RB or WR on the team because they will go where they can get those touches. Next thing you know you miss on an elite dual threat QB and, voila!, you just turned yourself into Auburn.

What is Oregon now without an elite QB to run that offense? Their coach just got fired who some think is worthy to come coach our offense. Gus is on the hot seat because of not having the elite DT QB to run his offense. There 4 other skills positions on offense for a reason. I just don't understand the desire to move in this direction when all its going to do is create more volatility in the performance of our team. Had we not had a defense score, once in a lifetime, 15 touchdowns last year we likely would not have been in the NCG in the first place and we all would bemoaning about ditching the read option altogether.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
His philosophy has not translated well to the NFL, imo. Otherwise he wouldn't be looking for a job at the moment. Our roster top to bottom more closely resembles a NFL roster. So I believe we need to run an offense more tailored to showcase the talent on our roster. Doubling down on the spread running or passing doesnt do that and will undermine the talent in our roster.

I will say it again the 10+ carries that our QB gets per game is 10+ carries that a 5 star RB or WR is not getting. Sooner or later you won't have the 5 star RB or WR on the team because they will go where they can get those touches. Next thing you know you miss on an elite dual threat QB and, voila!, you just turned yourself into Auburn.

What is Oregon now without an elite QB to run that offense? Their coach just got fired who some think is worthy to come coach our offense. Gus is on the hot seat because of not having the elite DT QB to run his offense. There 4 other skills positions on offense for a reason. I just don't understand the desire to move in this direction when all its going to do is create more volatility in the performance of our team.

Do you understand Kelly's system?

His issue in the NFL wasn't scheme. It was personnel. He couldn't manage it. Think he's over the roster in Tuscaloosa?

So a fired HC isn't worthy to be a Bama OC? Because Bama just won three straight SEC championships with a fired HC as its OC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

I agree with this part of your post.

Like you...I prefer my 5 star RB or Wide Receiver to get more touches than my qb when it comes to running the ball.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.

Dan Enos to me seems to fit what we do well. He really coached up both of the Allen brothers at Arky. I know you can't use this as a measurement , but they did put 30 on our D last year. Not too many did that out of that scheme.

ElkhartTider

All-American
Jan 13, 2005
Elkhart, Indiana
Charlie Weis, unemployed: He's served as an analyst here and has a good relationship with Saban, but post-Notre Dame he's had a checkered resume and seemed to have lost his edge as a playcaller. Great QB guy, though. 20-1.
You do realize that the Charlie that served as an analyst here at Bama was Weis' son, right?

Oh... and Weis Jr. was hired at FAU with Kiffin.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

No to Chip Kelly. Two different philosophies, two men used to doing things their own way... Never work.

bamanix

1st Team
Mar 24, 2010
I posted previously, that I believe a good passing game manager is best for bama. like others have said, when a team is able to get 5 star rbs, receivers, linemen, why do we need a hot shot dual qb. there are not that many successful in college or pro football. gee, the super bowl two great dual qbs in brady, and ryan. and even cam is no longer threat as running qb. banged up all the time. Deshaun Watson, is a perfect qb with a lot of talent. he will not be successful in the nfl in my opinion. look around, where are all the dual qbs. they are on teams that average rbs, and receivers. tua might be the exception because has the arm. we had a great receiving corp, and rbs this past year. our receivers were not utilized. bo stayed healthy half way thru the season, with harris, Jacobs proving sound running mates. the weakest part of our offense ending up against tough competition, knowing keep lalen from hurting you with his rushes would defeat us, and it did. when you only get 2 of 13 tries on third down, you are in trouble, and if the majority of your points are on big plays, good luck. our best defense did all they could but playing 90 downs was too much. I completely blame our coaching staff with that loss, the same with loss with blake simms in ohio state game. once again, wouldn't a coker, McCarron, type would have won that game. once again the team went away from run game fourth quarter, and were abusing their left side defense. I really find it hard for lalen to perfect a all field passing game, or a deep passing game. he has to learn to read defenses, and get rid of the ball sooner.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011

With Chip, our OFFENSE would average being on the field for 15 to 18 minutes per game and the DEFENSE would get TOTALLY WORN OUT averaging 42 to 45 minutes.

Nope! Not a good hire. However, I don't think Coach Saban would let that happen no matter who the OC is.

We need to control the ball and drive it down opponents throat and leave their defense gasping for breath.

Our offense in the Clemson game just wore out our defense. If we had controlled the ball in that game for 35 to 40 minutes, no way we would have lost.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I posted previously, that I believe a good passing game manager is best for bama. like others have said, when a team is able to get 5 star rbs, receivers, linemen, why do we need a hot shot dual qb. there are not that many successful in college or pro football. gee, the super bowl two great dual qbs in brady, and ryan. and even cam is no longer threat as running qb. banged up all the time. Deshaun Watson, is a perfect qb with a lot of talent. he will not be successful in the nfl in my opinion. look around, where are all the dual qbs. they are on teams that average rbs, and receivers. tua might be the exception because has the arm. we had a great receiving corp, and rbs this past year. our receivers were not utilized. bo stayed healthy half way thru the season, with harris, Jacobs proving sound running mates. the weakest part of our offense ending up against tough competition, knowing keep lalen from hurting you with his rushes would defeat us, and it did. when you only get 2 of 13 tries on third down, you are in trouble, and if the majority of your points are on big plays, good luck. our best defense did all they could but playing 90 downs was too much. I completely blame our coaching staff with that loss, the same with loss with blake simms in ohio state game. once again, wouldn't a coker, McCarron, type would have won that game. once again the team went away from run game fourth quarter, and were abusing their left side defense. I really find it hard for lalen to perfect a all field passing game, or a deep passing game. he has to learn to read defenses, and get rid of the ball sooner.
So you blame the coaching staff for the two losses with mobile QBs because they didn't run enough, but you think the OC would run the ball more with a pure passer in McCarron?

That's what lost us the 2013 Iron Bowl. Nuss didn't pass enough when the defense was loading the box to stop the run.

And you mention the Super Bowl having two pro style QBs, which by your post would indicate the run game is used more. Atlanta wishes they ran more in the second half.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Tidal Surge

Scout Team
Dec 17, 2009
Ft Walton Beach
I'm starting to think Eric Kiesau will be Bama's next OC or Co-OC & QB coach. I think Saban's been considering other options, but that Kiesau has been at or near the top of his board all along. I think it may be announced very soon. No inside info, jmo.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.