Offensive coordinator discussion/odds...

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I'm starting to think Eric Kiesau will be Bama's next OC or Co-OC & QB coach. I think Saban's been considering other options, but that Kiesau has been at or near the top of his board all along. I think it may be announced very soon. No inside info, jmo.
That would be an interesting hire. Here is the article that gives some background on Kiesau when Fresno St hired him when he was an analyst at Bama.

http://www.fresnobee.com/sports/col...-state/bulldogs-football/article52529340.html

Tidal Surge

Scout Team
Dec 17, 2009
Ft Walton Beach
Kiesau worked as analyst at Bama for a year, closely with Lane, responsible for converting to his no-huddle & terminology system. Played QB, solid QB & WR position coach. Position coach, passing game coordinator and OC experience -- under Chris Petersen, Jeff Tedford, Dan Hawkins, Steve Sarkesian, Charlie Weiss.

Liked and sought to learn and adopt Saban's coaching & organizational philosophies while at Bama. Hawkin's OC at Colorado, Sark's OC at UW, and OC & interim HC at Fresno St. Now WR coach at Boise St., for only a month or so. Good OC results at UW, less than stellar results at Colorado & Fresno attributable to lack of player talent. Justin Wilcox (new HC at Cal.) recently came very close to hiring him as OC.

Knows Bama culture, athletic dept., coaches, offensive system & terminology -- smooth transition. Good/right acumen & experience, age/maturity level. Should be able to improve our passing game performance. Tireless work ethic, both coaching & recruiting. Broad western recruiting experience & ties.

It appears Kiesau Would like working for Saban and can/will do what Saban wants offensively, avoiding the need for arse chewings. Fairly likely to stick around for a few seasons, too. Overall, a solid choice and good fit -- seems well equipped to do what Sark was hired to do. All things considered, he's perhaps the best choice for what Saban likely feels he needs and wants.

Perhaps Kieseau is the leader in the clubhouse and the reason Saban has only brought in one guy (Godsey) so far to interview. Kiesau would not even need to come in for an interview or to see what Bama is all about. He already spent a year on Bama's staff.

Last edited:

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006
I'm starting to think Eric Kiesau will be Bama's next OC or Co-OC & QB coach. I think Saban's been considering other options, but that Kiesau has been at or near the top of his board all along. I think it may be announced very soon. No inside info, jmo.
Is this just totally a gut hunch?

JaxTider

Suspended
Jan 10, 2017
I posted previously, that I believe a good passing game manager is best for bama. like others have said, when a team is able to get 5 star rbs, receivers, linemen, why do we need a hot shot dual qb. there are not that many successful in college or pro football. gee, the super bowl two great dual qbs in brady, and ryan. and even cam is no longer threat as running qb. banged up all the time. Deshaun Watson, is a perfect qb with a lot of talent. he will not be successful in the nfl in my opinion. look around, where are all the dual qbs. they are on teams that average rbs, and receivers. tua might be the exception because has the arm. we had a great receiving corp, and rbs this past year. our receivers were not utilized. bo stayed healthy half way thru the season, with harris, Jacobs proving sound running mates. the weakest part of our offense ending up against tough competition, knowing keep lalen from hurting you with his rushes would defeat us, and it did. when you only get 2 of 13 tries on third down, you are in trouble, and if the majority of your points are on big plays, good luck. our best defense did all they could but playing 90 downs was too much. I completely blame our coaching staff with that loss, the same with loss with blake simms in ohio state game. once again, wouldn't a coker, McCarron, type would have won that game. once again the team went away from run game fourth quarter, and were abusing their left side defense. I really find it hard for lalen to perfect a all field passing game, or a deep passing game. he has to learn to read defenses, and get rid of the ball sooner.
I think it is a false choice. Your presuming we're giving up effective passing in exchange for a duel threat.

I will remind you that it is not likely that AJ would have won that Clemson game as a sophomore.

It's a matter of experience.

last year speaks more about the lack of development of our upper class QBs than it does about the relative merits of a dual threat versus traditional drop back QB. We needed a duel threat last year because we didn't have an effective passer.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Good to hear a new name in Kiesau. Didn't know anything about him (didn't even recognize his name), but I like what I read in the linked article.

Big-time experience as an OC. Time in the Saban Home for Fired Coaches. He's clearly a west coast guy, but 3-4 years in Tuscaloosa could benefit both. Like him a lot more than many of the names mentioned.

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
You do realize that the Charlie that served as an analyst here at Bama was Weis' son, right?

Oh... and Weis Jr. was hired at FAU with Kiffin.
I knew I was courting confusion when I wrote that, as Charlie's son was the only one to actually have been officially on staff. But Charlie himself has served as a "consultant," we'll call it, in the past. What I was trying to communicate was that he'd worked with the staff before. Obviously should have worded it differently.

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
I'd soft-pedal that one for now. I asked about that one tonight and either there's nothing there, or there's something there and the school is being coy about it. If I had to put him on my original list he'd be middle of the pack, in terms of probability.

I'd say the betting leaders at this time are Daboll and Godsey.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
I'd soft-pedal that one for now. I asked about that one tonight and either there's nothing there, or there's something there and the school is being coy about it. If I had to put him on my original list he'd be middle of the pack, in terms of probability.

I'd say the betting leaders at this time are Daboll and Godsey.

Rodney Orr was 99.1 FM in Birmingham just now saying this - and he said don't be surprised to see an announcement in the next 48 hours.

Also said he thinks D. Craig goes to Oregon with the possibility of Tracy Rocker or Gene Chizik as an analyst. (Personally doubt the Chizik part).

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Rodney Orr was 99.1 FM in Birmingham just now saying this - and he said don't be surprised to see an announcement in the next 48 hours.

Also said he thinks D. Craig goes to Oregon with the possibility of Tracy Rocker or Gene Chizik as an analyst. (Personally doubt the Chizik part).
What the h*ll would Cheese Whiz be analyzing, 'Bama's FCA chapter?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
What the h*ll would Cheese Whiz be analyzing, 'Bama's FCA chapter?
Take it FWIW, but Orr says CNS is "high" on Cheezenip.

It would just seem odd to have him around T-town, but it almost be worth it to see how the Barners would invalidate it.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Take it FWIW, but Orr says CNS is "high" on Cheezenip.

It would just seem odd to have him around T-town, but it almost be worth it to see how the Barners would invalidate it.
Chizik has a great defensive mind. Saban uses his analysts in very specific ways. Saban needs someone to do 3rd down analysis, for instance. This is what Sark did, and that focus on 3rd down play really paid off last year for Alabama (see improvement year over year from 2015 to 2016 season).

If Saban is after Chizik, it is for something like that. Something that will allow his strengths to help the Tide win games. I doubt that he would bring in Chizik for an on-field role.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Kiesau worked as analyst at Bama for a year, closely with Lane, responsible for converting to his no-huddle & terminology system. Played QB, solid QB & WR position coach. Position coach, passing game coordinator and OC experience -- under Chris Petersen, Jeff Tedford, Dan Hawkins, Steve Sarkesian, Charlie Weiss.

Liked and sought to learn and adopt Saban's coaching & organizational philosophies while at Bama. Hawkin's OC at Colorado, Sark's OC at UW, and OC & interim HC at Fresno St. Now WR coach at Boise St., for only a month or so. Good OC results at UW, less than stellar results at Colorado & Fresno attributable to lack of player talent. Justin Wilcox (new HC at Cal.) recently came very close to hiring him as OC.

Knows Bama culture, athletic dept., coaches, offensive system & terminology -- smooth transition. Good/right acumen & experience, age/maturity level. Should be able to improve our passing game performance. Tireless work ethic, both coaching & recruiting. Broad western recruiting experience & ties.

It appears Kiesau Would like working for Saban and can/will do what Saban wants offensively, avoiding the need for arse chewings. Fairly likely to stick around for a few seasons, too. Overall, a solid choice and good fit -- seems well equipped to do what Sark was hired to do. All things considered, he's perhaps the best choice for what Saban likely feels he needs and wants.

Perhaps Kieseau is the leader in the clubhouse and the reason Saban has only brought in one guy (Godsey) so far to interview. Kiesau would not even need to come in for an interview or to see what Bama is all about. He already spent a year on Bama's staff.
Correct me if I'm wrong.. did he just get a job at Boise State as HC?

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
Do you understand Kelly's system?

His issue in the NFL wasn't scheme. It was personnel. He couldn't manage it. Think he's over the roster in Tuscaloosa?

So a fired HC isn't worthy to be a Bama OC? Because Bama just won three straight SEC championships with a fired HC as its OC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Like how he had a power runner in DeMarco Murray, trying to run whatever it is he was trying to run with the Eagles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StatHaldol

Scout Team
Oct 23, 2011
Lake Darbonne, Louisiana
New England Patriots tight end coach Brian Daboll could be heading south.

Daboll is a candidate for Alabama’s offensive coordinator job. Daboll is expected to interview with the Crimson Tide, per Bruce Feldman of FOX Sports. The position became open after Steve Sarkisian left Alabama to become the Atlanta Falcons offensive coordinator.

The Patriots’ tight end coach has spent the last 11 seasons in New England.

Daboll was a graduate assistant under Nick Saban while Saban was coaching at Michigan State.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Chizik has a great defensive mind. Saban uses his analysts in very specific ways. Saban needs someone to do 3rd down analysis, for instance. This is what Sark did, and that focus on 3rd down play really paid off last year for Alabama (see improvement year over year from 2015 to 2016 season).

If Saban is after Chizik, it is for something like that. Something that will allow his strengths to help the Tide win games. I doubt that he would bring in Chizik for an on-field role.
Now, I think Chizik was a good DC at Alburn, Texas, and UNC. If he could help us continue beating the Barn, et al, that would be fine with me. I'm sure Coach Saban will do the RIGHT thing.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.