Offensive coordinator discussion/odds...

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
New England Patriots tight end coach Brian Daboll could be heading south.

Daboll is a candidate for Alabama’s offensive coordinator job. Daboll is expected to interview with the Crimson Tide, per Bruce Feldman of FOX Sports. The position became open after Steve Sarkisian left Alabama to become the Atlanta Falcons offensive coordinator.

The Patriots’ tight end coach has spent the last 11 seasons in New England.

Daboll was a graduate assistant under Nick Saban while Saban was coaching at Michigan State.
Since he was a TE coach for New England, maybe we would throw the ball to the TE for a change.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC

Daboll is a candidate for Alabama’s offensive coordinator job. Daboll is expected to interview with the Crimson Tide, per Bruce Feldman of FOX Sports. The position became open after Steve Sarkisian left Alabama to become the Atlanta Falcons offensive coordinator.

Daboll was a graduate assistant under Nick Saban while Saban was coaching at Michigan State.
Since he was a TE coach for New England, maybe we would throw the ball to the TE for a change.
Not to be argumentative but I think the concentration should be stretching the field vertically no matter who ends up the OC. Once that's established as a threat the TE's and RB's out of the backfield can be more involved and effective.

HartselleTider

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012

Pretty sure he was calling plays for the Dolphins at some point in the past 11 years.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
...Brian Daboll. I'd want to act like those play calling stints never happened if I were him...
For sure the Miami gig, where he had the dubious distinction of being succeeded after one year as Dolphins' OC by "Sherman the Accountant," a/k/a Mike Sherman, who himself had succeeded Fraudchione at aTm after Green Bay kicked him to NFL head coaching curb despite a .600 winning record. Interestingly, though the NFL has bypassed him for life on getting another top job, Sherman the Accountant is again a head coach - at a regional high school not far from Foxboro where he went 0-8 his first year before improving to 3-7. Can you say Dumbo Jr.?

Back to Daboll - if he's a taker for Saban is all that counts.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Not to be argumentative but I think the concentration should be stretching the field vertically no matter who ends up the OC. Once that's established as a threat the TE's and RB's out of the backfield can be more involved and effective.
Using the TE and stretching the field vertically can work together well though. Establishing the TE in the seam will occupy the LB in the short zone and a S in the deeper zone. That helps the run and also helps prevent a WR from being doubled deep by keeping the safeties attention. For that matter, our shortest TE is 6'4". a jump ball or two deep to a TE isn't the worst idea in the world...

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
Not that there is any pressing need to have the new OC hired quickly but I would not have guessed the search would have gone on this long without resolution. I'm sure there are plenty of qualified candidates there, many of which I'm sure we know nothing about. I'm guessing the delay is more about him wanting to get this decision right so that it sticks for a few years.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Not that there is any pressing need to have the new OC hired quickly but I would not have guessed the search would have gone on this long without resolution. I'm sure there are plenty of qualified candidates there, many of which I'm sure we know nothing about. I'm guessing the delay is more about him wanting to get this decision right so that it sticks for a few years.
This and not expecting to have to find a new OC in February.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I'm little surprised that he hasn't really announced by now, but I see Saban is being patient with this hire. I also think he's reaching out to other people to see if anyone is interested because I can't imagine Godsey and Daboll having to wait a while to find out if they got the job or not.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I'm little surprised that he hasn't really announced by now, but I see Saban is being patient with this hire. I also think he's reaching out to other people to see if anyone is interested because I can't imagine Godsey and Daboll having to wait a while to find out if they got the job or not.
With pro guys there is always the question of will they relish recruiting? If you don't enjoy that aspect of the game I don't think you can succeed long term in college coaching.

Jkl0802

1st Team
Apr 9, 2015
Stuttgart, Germany
Using the TE and stretching the field vertically can work together well though. Establishing the TE in the seam will occupy the LB in the short zone and a S in the deeper zone. That helps the run and also helps prevent a WR from being doubled deep by keeping the safeties attention. For that matter, our shortest TE is 6'4". a jump ball or two deep to a TE isn't the worst idea in the world...
When's the last time anyone saw an Alabama QB just throw a jump ball out to a covered receiver? I haven't seen one pass thrown this way since CKS arrived, instead we throw the ball away. Height and frame are still good .... along with a whole lot of speed.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
McCarron and GMac threw plenty of contested balls, Heck I don't think Norwood ever caught a pass where he was not blanketed. Blake threw tons of jump passes to Cooper and Coker threw some to Ridley, But last year I can't think of any. I expect that at first but I'm surprised they didn't attempt to expand Hurts more than they did.

Bottom line is that Blake Barnett was supposed to be the guy and he couldn't seem to deal with the pressure of live action. He had a much better arm for sure but just couldn't manage bodies flying everwhere the way Hurts could.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
McCarron and GMac threw plenty of contested balls, Heck I don't think Norwood ever caught a pass where he was not blanketed. Blake threw tons of jump passes to Cooper and Coker threw some to Ridley, But last year I can't think of any. I expect that at first but I'm surprised they didn't attempt to expand Hurts more than they did.

Bottom line is that Blake Barnett was supposed to be the guy and he couldn't seem to deal with the pressure of live action. He had a much better arm for sure but just couldn't manage bodies flying everwhere the way Hurts could.
I May be wrong on this, but I don't think I ever saw Blake Sims throwing jump passes to them. I don't remember Coker doing the same. Why would you expect Hurts to do the same?

Why do you say that BB was supposed to be the guy? The media expected BB to be the guy... Everyone got fair chance and BB lost... so... With that in mind.. I'll say BB throws beautiful pass down the field better than Hurts at the point, but Hurts had that strong leadership and calm presence on the field that won him the job.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
With pro guys there is always the question of will they relish recruiting? If you don't enjoy that aspect of the game I don't think you can succeed long term in college coaching.
Some don't mind, some do. There's always a good chance that a pro guy coming to Alabama would probably be limited first year, get used to it and then get more duties in second year.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.