Offensive coordinator discussion/odds...

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Some don't mind, some do. There's always a good chance that a pro guy coming to Alabama would probably be limited first year, get used to it and then get more duties in second year.
With CNS at the forefront of our recruiting, an OC who is not a great recruiter (or who had little experience in the area) wouldn't be as great of a concern IMO.

Tidal Surge

Scout Team
Dec 17, 2009
Ft Walton Beach
The trending consensus appears to be that Daboll and Godsey are the #1 & #2 guys. But if Saban surprises again with an unexpected OC hire, maybe Jedd Fisch is a possibility. Perhaps Eric Kiesau is more of a possibility to replace Napier. A tweet from last night: https://twitter.com/MarkJennings55/status/831735220382613504 "BIG NEWS COMING. I HEAR COACH HAS HIS MAN." From his recent tweets, he appears to sometimes learn stuff before it's reported, like Sark leaving and Larry Porter to AU.

Last edited:

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Not jump passes a la Tebow; jump passes as in "I'm throwing this to you, go get it!" AJ threw a bunch of balls into one-on-one coverage expecting our guy to either make the catch or break up the interception. Jake threw into triple coverage at the goal line in the SEC Championship game, yet Stewart outjumped everyone and came up with the ball.

I May be wrong on this, but I don't think I ever saw Blake Sims throwing jump passes to them. I don't remember Coker doing the same. Why would you expect Hurts to do the same?

Why do you say that BB was supposed to be the guy? The media expected BB to be the guy... Everyone got fair chance and BB lost... so... With that in mind.. I'll say BB throws beautiful pass down the field better than Hurts at the point, but Hurts had that strong leadership and calm presence on the field that won him the job.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I May be wrong on this, but I don't think I ever saw Blake Sims throwing jump passes to them. I don't remember Coker doing the same. Why would you expect Hurts to do the same?

Why do you say that BB was supposed to be the guy? The media expected BB to be the guy... Everyone got fair chance and BB lost... so... With that in mind.. I'll say BB throws beautiful pass down the field better than Hurts at the point, but Hurts had that strong leadership and calm presence on the field that won him the job.
This clip has a few from Coker to Adarius
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8KH_JmA56E

This one has some from both Sims and Coker to Cooper:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3X3h8p-_Xo

it's not been a huge part of what we have done in the past, but we did it enough to have some success, which made the S play more of the field. We didn't use the TE for this role much, but that's the point of the earlier comment - maybe we should have since we had a TE that probably would have won a majority of contested throws.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Jalen had two problems throwing the long ball: accuracy and accuracy

He often threw it 5-10 yards over our players head and he often was 3-5 yards wide of the player...usually on the out of bounds side.

He's got the arm, but he had no confidence in this type of throw all year long except for one or two exceptions.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011

He often threw it 5-10 yards over our players head and he often was 3-5 yards wide of the player...usually on the out of bounds side.

He's got the arm, but he had no confidence in this type of throw all year long except for one or two exceptions.
agreed - I started to wonder if Saban and Kiffen had drilled into his head to ONLY throw it where no one other than our guys could get it that he was over compensating instead of putting it where our guys at least had some chance at a catch...

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
Not to be argumentative but I think the concentration should be stretching the field vertically no matter who ends up the OC. Once that's established as a threat the TE's and RB's out of the backfield can be more involved and effective.
Using the TE and stretching the field vertically can work together well though. Establishing the TE in the seam will occupy the LB in the short zone and a S in the deeper zone. That helps the run and also helps prevent a WR from being doubled deep by keeping the safeties attention. For that matter, our shortest TE is 6'4". a jump ball or two deep to a TE isn't the worst idea in the world...
That's my point. Jalen has the arm but his reads, decisions, timing and accuracy will have to improve to keep the opposing defense honest and on their heels. Hopefully he'll get the opportunity to work with Whitfield over the summer break. He's capable. And I expect he'll get it sooner rather than later.

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006
That's my point. Jalen has the arm but his reads, decisions, timing and accuracy will have to improve to keep the opposing defense honest and on their heels. Hopefully he'll get the opportunity to work with Whitfield over the summer break. He's capable. And I expect he'll get it sooner rather than later.
Dosen't Whitfield cost a lot of money? Maybe his family dosen't have that kind of funds? Don't know.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
Poster on another forum with earned credibility said "An offer is out to Daboll. Should know within 48 hours."
I checked with the psychic hotline. They told me they could tell me the secrets of the universe for $29.99, but they had no clue what CNS was going to do. I guess we will have to wait and see.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL

And accuracy.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Dosen't Whitfield cost a lot of money? Maybe his family dosen't have that kind of funds? Don't know.
Doesn't matter where they get the money from... if Hurts want to get a QB coach, let him. It's not our business to know where they get the money from. I also wan't to point out that and I may be wrong, but every qb under Saban who started received QB trainings at some point.

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Poster on another forum with earned credibility said "An offer is out to Daboll. Should know within 48 hours."
We believe this is accurate information. I expect Daboll to either be at Alabama or out of the running entirely by the end of the week.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
We believe this is accurate information. I expect Daboll to either be at Alabama or out of the running entirely by the end of the week.
Daboll seems to be well respected. Having worked for Belichick that long, you know the guy gives 100%. I also liked the fact that a reporter in Boston said he was in charge of the Pats' running game.

Harmost

All-American
Sep 19, 2005
Bizarre to me. Not sure what we see in him at all... although if Saban and Belichick both think highly of him, surely there's something there. But wow, his record outside the NE safety net has been abysmal.

Just got to be hopeful here: that he's improved since his past OC days, that his failures were the fault of everyone else around him, that we have too much talent not to be good, that we're not making our version of a Cam Cameron hire, etc.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.