Offensive coordinator discussion/odds...

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Bizarre to me. Not sure what we see in him at all... although if Saban and Belichick both think highly of him, surely there's something there. But wow, his record outside the NE safety net has been abysmal.

Just got to be hopeful here: that he's improved since his past OC days, that his failures were the fault of everyone else around him, that we have too much talent not to be good, that we're not making our version of a Cam Cameron hire, etc.
You don't watch much of the NFL, do you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
Bizarre to me. Not sure what we see in him at all... although if Saban and Belichick both think highly of him, surely there's something there. But wow, his record outside the NE safety net has been abysmal.

Just got to be hopeful here: that he's improved since his past OC days, that his failures were the fault of everyone else around him, that we have too much talent not to be good, that we're not making our version of a Cam Cameron hire, etc.
There are only a hand full of NFL teams that have the personell to win. The rest are just there taking up space. It's not as competative as it used to be. Free Agency killed part of it and the other problem is that owners won't give coaches time to build the program. None of the teams this guy coached had any chance of real success. His last stint as OC they won 6 of the last 8 games I think with mostly garbage players.

Tiderollin32

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2012
So of Daboll is hired I'm assuming he will coach Wide Receivers. Pannuzio coaches TE and ST. That leaves Locksley to coach QB's? Trickett?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
So of Daboll is hired I'm assuming he will coach Wide Receivers. Pannuzio coaches TE and ST. That leaves Locksley to coach QB's? Trickett?
Not sure. Locksley has coached pretty much every offensive position. If the 10th assistant is approved, I suspect Daboll is solely an OC with Trickett coaching QBs and Locks coaching the WRs.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
One thing that won't be a problem for the new OC is available talent to work with. I read one of the linked articles above that said at all three of his stops as OC in the NFL he didn't have a QB to work with. That won't be a problem this go 'round.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
He was the heir apparent to McDaniels. That's how much Belichick thinks of him. I know his NFL OC stops are dismal, but those were bad teams with bad QBs. Even Saban was 6-10 with a great D, 4th in the NFL, and bad QBs - Harrington and Cleo Lemon.

Record as NFL OC

2009 Clev Mangini 5-11: Brady Quinn 9, Derek Anderson 7

2010 Clev Mangini 5-11: Colt McCoy 8, "old" Jake Delhomme 4, Seneca Wallace 4

2011 Mia Bowles 3, Sapraono 13 6-10: Matt Moore 12, Chad Henne 4

2012 KC Crennel 2-14: Matt Cassel 8, Brady Quinn 8

Not a good or even decent team, HC or QB among them. You can find rationale for just about anything, but again, he was reportedly the heir apparent to McDaniels. His philosophy is also more in line with pre-Kiffin Saban. It's encouraging that 3 teams in succession wanted him. Most of all, he is someone that Coach Saban really wanted. My understanding is that it was not if Bama wanted him, but whether BD would leave NE for Bama.

Last edited:

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I looked at his 2011 season with the Dolphins. Under his leadership QB Matt Moore and RB Reggie Bush had their best seasons as pro players. In the case of Moore it was far and away his best season. It was also his last season as a starter. Bush had more yards in seasons following 2011 but his 5 YPC average was the best of his career. Brandon Marshall was a pro bowl reciever that season.

It's of course all reletative to talent, but to say the man can't get production is incorrect.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Not arguing here, but I'm curious as to the reasoning behind the statement. I googled him and he's been a coach for only two years, and that was in JUCO. What am I missing?
My pure speculation is that Coach probably knows the kid having coached with his dad and played against him a couple of years ago in Atlanta. Kid has a pretty good body of work as a player and street cred as a coaches son so Saban has probably kept up with him the past couple of years. Coach has a pretty good track record of spotting talent on the field in more ways than one with a few exceptions now and again.

Tidal Surge

Scout Team
Dec 17, 2009
Ft Walton Beach
"Insider" on BOL is saying Daboll is a done deal.

Our three hires appear to be final:

Daboll - Offensive Coordinator
Locksley - Wide Receivers
Pannunzio - Tight Ends/Special Teams

Hearing also that Dan Werner may join staff as analyst. I'm thinking once 10th coach is approved he would be promoted to on-field QB Coach.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
"Insider" on BOL is saying Daboll is a done deal.

Our three hires appear to be final:

Daboll - Offensive Coordinator
Locksley - Wide Receivers
Pannunzio - Tight Ends/Special Teams

Hearing also that Dan Werner may join staff as analyst. I'm thinking once 10th coach is approved he would be promoted to on-field QB Coach.
Interesting because I thought It would be Clint Trickett that would do QB coaching as the 10th coach....

Tidal Surge

Scout Team
Dec 17, 2009
Ft Walton Beach
Interesting because I thought It would be Clint Trickett that would do QB coaching as the 10th coach....
Werner's experience and track record as a QB coach and passing game coordinator is light years beyond Tricket's. Werner would be a great addition as a QB (DT & PS) "whisperer" to mentor our three young QBs and Tricket too, another great offensive mind on staff, and potential future Bama Co-OC or OC.

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.