Syrian refugee charged with multiple assaults involving underaged girls in Canada - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Syrian refugee charged with multiple assaults involving underaged girls in Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Displaced Bama Fan View Post
    Where did I "contend" that the proportion of radicalized jihadist attacks should actually be decreased?. I simply pointed out that the "left wing" attacks, imho, were not captured due to the "radicalization" of group such as BLM that spurred additional police attacks and other civilian-related attacks.
    If you increase the denominator and the numerator remains the same, the proportion decreases.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American Intl.Aperture's Avatar

Re: Syrian refugee charged with multiple assaults involving underaged girls in Canada

Quote Originally Posted by CharminTide View Post
    How many of those Jihadist attacks inside the U.S. were conducted by refugees? If any even make the list, it's a vanishingly small number.
    That's true, but I think most people's concerns aren't stemming from what has already happened due to refugees but what the situation is in places like Germany and a few other European nations who took in a TON of refugees. I admit I haven't looked at numbers or stats, just reflecting back what I have heard from others.
    “And what's strange, what would be marvelous, is not that God should really exist; the marvel is that such an idea, the idea of the necessity of God, could enter the head of such a savage, vicious beast as man.”
    - Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Is there a difference between refugee and immigrant? Vet the legal immigrants thoroughly and deny EVERY refugee. Seems that would alleviate some issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Intl.Aperture View Post
    That's true, but I think most people's concerns aren't stemming from what has already happened due to refugees but what the situation is in places like Germany and a few other European nations who took in a TON of refugees. I admit I haven't looked at numbers or stats, just reflecting back what I have heard from others.
    I understand that. Fear is the easiest tool of manipulation, and it's being used here to great effect.

The fact is that our refugee vetting has always been far more extensive than Germany's. Being across the Atlantic, we're harder to travel to than Europe, and we've also been more honest about the opportunities for refugees here. I have a friend who works in Germany's immigration office, and he says it's been a nightmare. Merkel made some broad promises at the start of this crisis which have backfired tremendously. Refugees were fleeing to Germany under the impression that they would be able to find a place to live, a job, a life, but there was simply no infrastructure in place for any of that, and certainly not in the volume needed. Many families used their last resources to escape, only to find that there were no opportunities for them in Germany. Then they're stuck, lacking the resources to take their families anywhere else. They feel a promise was broken that stranded they and their families in a German refugee camp without any more future than they had in Syria. That breeds resentment. And fortunately, that is a mistake we have avoided.

BamaNation All-American Intl.Aperture's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CharminTide View Post
    I understand that. Fear is the easiest tool of manipulation, and it's being used here to great effect.

The fact is that our refugee vetting has always been far more extensive than Germany's. Being across the Atlantic, we're harder to travel to than Europe, and we've also been more honest about the opportunities for refugees here. I have a friend who works in Germany's immigration office, and he says it's been a nightmare. Merkel made some broad promises at the start of this crisis which have backfired tremendously. Refugees were fleeing to Germany under the impression that they would be able to find a place to live, a job, a life, but there was simply no infrastructure in place for any of that, and certainly not in the volume needed. Many families used their last resources to escape, only to find that there were no opportunities for them in Germany. Then they're stuck, lacking the resources to take their families anywhere else. They feel a promise was broken that stranded they and their families in a German refugee camp without any more future than they had in Syria. That breeds resentment. And fortunately, that is a mistake we have avoided.
    This is the conversation that needs to be had.
    “And what's strange, what would be marvelous, is not that God should really exist; the marvel is that such an idea, the idea of the necessity of God, could enter the head of such a savage, vicious beast as man.”
    - Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

BamaNation All-American mikes12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Reb View Post
    There is one way that evidently no one has yet to consider. You make the punishment for terrorist attacks so unbelievably horrible that it borders on inhumane. Then you make examples of the first few who dare to carry out such attacks, just to show you're not not afraid to do so.
    You won't eliminate all terrorist attacks, but you'll stop enough of them that people will no longer be fearful of them in their everyday lives.
    Many of them are killed in the commission of their terror actions. I know the Chattanooga shooter was. I'm not sure how you punish someone who is dead.

One idea I've thought of (which I don't think would ever be implemented here) would be a citizen sponsor. If you believe we should take in refugees from violent cultures, then you can sponsor one. This would allow them entry, but if they commit a crime, the sponsor will be charged and punished as an accomplice.

I think it would be great if all the fighting age men were sent back to their country. They should be fighting for their rights not turning tail and running. It worked pretty well for the United States.

BamaNation Hall of Fame MattinBama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mikes12 View Post
    One idea I've thought of (which I don't think would ever be implemented here) would be a citizen sponsor. If you believe we should take in refugees from violent cultures, then you can sponsor one. This would allow them entry, but if they commit a crime, the sponsor will be charged and punished as an accomplice.
    Let's test that out with parents first. If your kid goes and does something stupid whether you had any control over it or not you get to go to jail too. Seems fair.

Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by mikes12 View Post
    Many of them are killed in the commission of their terror actions. I know the Chattanooga shooter was. I'm not sure how you punish someone who is dead.

I think one kind soul already tried that. His mutilated body was found in his home, and the "refugee" he sponsored is long gone. So much for that grand experiment!

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by bama_wayne1 View Post
    I think it would be great if all the fighting age men were sent back to their country. They should be fighting for their rights not turning tail and running. It worked pretty well for the United States.
    That would require that group of muslim men to take a stand (or even speak out against) radical islam. I think we have had that conversation on here about how little that has happened.

Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by GreatMarch View Post
    That would require that group of muslim men to take a stand (or even speak out against) radical islam. I think we have had that conversation on here about how little that has happened.
    I wouldn't bet on that happening anytime soon. It would almost take that same group of Muslim men watching their entire families being slaughtered as a retaliation for their own actions for them to see the light.

It's what I alluded to earlier. You can never win a war by showing weakness. That only emboldens them. You can only win by making it so mentally and psychologically unbearable for the enemy that they throw down their arms and surrender.
    Hiroshima and Nagasaki come to mind here.

BamaNation Hall of Fame MattinBama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Reb View Post
    I wouldn't bet on that happening anytime soon..
    I wouldn't either considering it's been happening for years. The Kurdish Muslims have been fighting & dying on the frontline against ISIS for years.

BamaNation All-SEC

[QUOTE=MattinBama;2982928]I wouldn't either considering it's been happening for years. The Kurdish Muslims have been fighting & dying on the frontline against ISIS for years.[/QUOT

As far as the Kurds fighting, it is interesting to note how many women fight on the front lines. When you go farther north, notice the number of Assyrian Christians fighting on the front lines and how many women and even teen aged people fighting.

And yet, if you talk refugee numbers to the US, it is surprisingly low for those two groups compared to other middle eastern sects.

I think the number of Assyrian Christian refugees admitted to the US in 2016 was something like less than 1% of the total number of Syrian refugees admitted. And, that is the discussion I believe we should have.