Question: Getting out of your vehicle and approaching another vehicle in anger.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Getting out of your vehicle and approaching another vehicle in anger.

I guess the latest example of this would be the Joe McKnight case. Though I don't think McKnight approached the shooter's car "in anger". But approached the vehicle nonetheless. A more local example for me was a few months ago a guy was shot in the wal mart parking lot (less than five miles from my house) because he got mad at a guy for "cutting him off" in traffic.

Last night a person I do taxes for dropped their stuff off by the house. I could tell he appeared flustered and I found out why. He said as he was coming over he was stopped at a traffic light. The guy in front of him gets out of his vehicle, approaches his vehicle "ticked off" and commences to "cussin' him out" because he thought he was being "tailgated". My client told me he'd never had that happen before and he certainly didn't think he was tailgating the guy. But one thing he said that prompted me to start this thread. He said "Though the guy ultimately didn't lay a hand on me. I truly and genuinely felt I was in danger and was a split second from pulling my pistol on the guy."

Wow! This could happen to anybody and it begs the question (for me at least). If you truly feel you are in danger do you legally have to wait for the person to physically attack you before defending yourself? I know the laws maybe different from state to state.

On the other side of the coin. Over the years I've known people who have been the person to get out of the vehicle and walk back to the other person's car to "cuss them out". I personally think that is a very, very dangerous thing to do. Especially in today's society.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

2. Advertisement

Re: Getting out of your vehicle and approaching another vehicle in anger.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    Wow! This could happen to anybody and it begs the question (for me at least). If you truly feel you are in danger do you legally have to wait for the person to physically attack you before defending yourself? I know the laws maybe different from state to state.
    The laws do vary by state but for the most part, if you reasonably believe your life is in danger you can defend yourself - you don't have to wait to be attacked in most states.

'Reasonable' being the operative word here. I'd have a tough time convincing a jury that I was in fear for my life from an unarmed 5' female...

On the other side of the coin. Over the years I've known people who have been the person to get out of the vehicle and walk back to the other person's car to "cuss them out". I personally think that is a very, very dangerous thing to do. Especially in today's society.
    It's stupid. If someone has done something bad / dangerous enough you feel the need to confront them, let the police handle it.
    Last edited by crimsonaudio; February 9th, 2017 at 11:57 AM.
    To err is human, to really foul things up requires a computer.

It would seem that folk would learn. However, most of these incidents come down to the traffic incident being the "last straw." The aggressor is having a bad day, week or life...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaJama17's Avatar

Just don't do it...easy answer.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tidewater's Avatar

Happened to a friend of mine in Fort Smith, Arkansas. As the angry stranger approached our car (I was the passenger), my friend reached for his .45. Then he though better of it and just sped away.
    Probably better for all parties involved, including me (which was the most important consideration).

Of course, you could just buy a car with a trunk monkey.

It's never a good idea to leave your legal space and travel to someone else's to abuse them verbally or otherwise. As BamaJama17 said, "Just don't do it." People who are afraid will hurt you. Confronting someone you don't know is bad manners and some people won't tolerate it. (See Lonesome Dove)

BamaNation Hall of Fame

I used to be the type to lay on my horn if someone cut me off, or something like that. Now, I just let people go on about their way. I don't travel armed (yet) and I'm not about to take a risk even if I were. If someone approached my car, you better believe I'd be doing everything to get away from the situation.

BamaNation Hall of Fame uafan4life's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tidewater View Post
    Happened to a friend of mine in Fort Smith, Arkansas. As the angry stranger approached our car (I was the passenger), my friend reached for his .45. Then he though better of it and just sped away.
    Probably better for all parties involved, including me (which was the most important consideration).

Of course, you could just buy a car with a trunk monkey.
    Technically, that's a "Trunk Ape" but I still kind of want one!
    I have yet to figure out why common sense and common courtesy are called common.
    - Unknown

Tradition is always under construction.
    - Nick Saban

BamaNation All-American mikes12's Avatar

In general, it's a bad idea to let your anger control you. That's why I don't say anything or make any decisions when I'm mad. Wait until you're clear headed and re-evaluate.

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    The laws do vary by state but for the most part, if you reasonably believe your life is in danger you can defend yourself - you don't have to wait to be attacked in most states.

'Reasonable' being the operative word here. I'd have a tough time convincing a jury that I was in fear for my life from an unarmed 5' female...

It's stupid. If someone has done something bad / dangerous enough you feel the need to confront them, let the police handle it.

Of course. Probably no need to worry. It's when the person is 6'2, 230 lbs and screaming like a lunatic that you start having to make some crucial decisions.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exists, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Years ago, I pulled out from a store and stopped behind a car at the nearby intersection. The guy in front of me started looking back and flipping me off. I was in a small pickup and he was in a Z (maybe 280Z; it's been a while) and it was night. I figured he must have thought I had my bright lights on with him being in such a low car.

I flashed my lights at him out of courtesy to let him know that I did not have my brights on; this seemed to tick him off even more. I then did a shave-and-a-haircut honk at him because at this point he seemed ridiculous. He pulled off into a nearby parking lot; I realized after I went past him that he wanted me to follow. I was dying to know what he was upset about (okay, I wasn’t really going to die for it). Still don’t have a clue.

You stop in front of me, exit your car and come towards mine in a threatening manner...you will be greeted by a 9mm Shield.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tidewater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by uafan4life View Post
    Technically, that's a "Trunk Ape" but I still kind of want one!
    "Trunk Ape" or "Trunk Chimp" doesn't have the same ring to it.