Fauxcahontas: sit down and shut up! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Tide1986's Avatar

Re: Fauxcahontas: sit down and shut up!

Quote Originally Posted by Tidewater View Post
    If you refer to my posts related the current state of politics in the US to the collapse of institutions in the declining years of the Roman Republic, you will detect that I do not support any move by current incumbents that undermines the viability of our republican institutions. The institutions are more important than any particular decision.
    Shutting Warren down is ungentlemanly and undermines collegiality.
    And attacking another senator from the floor of the Senate with unfounded allegations is gentlemanly and promotes collegiality?
    The Concord Blue Devils, 18-Time World Champions: 2017, 2015, 2014 (99.65), 2012, 2010, 2009, 2007, 2003, 1999, 1997, 1996, 1994, 1986, 1982, 1980, 1979, 1977, & 1976. Enriching the lives of young people through a commitment to youth development and performance excellence.

“The discovery of a wine is of greater moment than the discovery of a constellation. The universe is too full of stars.” ― Benjamin Franklin

2. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by CharminTide View Post
    It was apparently instituted because a string of insults in 1902 led to a fistfight on the Senate floor. Artist depiction:
    Part of me would love to see some of them duke it out in a boxing ring once in a while....to walk the walk.....in addition to talking the talk.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tide1986 View Post
    And attacking another senator from the floor of the Senate with unfounded allegations is gentlemanly and promotes collegiality?
    "Gentlemanly" is a sexist code word designed to subtly emphasize that women should not be senators. Therefore to refer to warren as being treated ungentlemanly is actually a compliment

I wonder if she invented Mazola.
    Last edited by CajunCrimson; February 10th, 2017 at 10:08 AM.
    Doc Holliday: [to Johnny Ringo, after shooting him in a duel] You're no daisy! You're no daisy at all. Poor soul, you were just too high strung

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tidewater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tide1986 View Post
    No it doesn't, but it keeps the Democrats in the wrong. I am not convinced that a thirty year old opinion from Coretta Scott King on Jeff Sessions is really relevant, but I do believe that Rule 19 cannot have the same relevance when the senator himself is the topic of debate. I would not cede to Mrs. King a veto on Federal judgeships (or, post-mortem, on UAGs) just because she was married to MLK. Warren's was a plain appeal to authority (invoking King's name).

For the same reason that speakers in a deliberative body orient their comments to the presiding officer ("Mr. Speaker, I rise in support of the bill ...") not to their opponents. It helps maintain collegiality.

I do believe that the Left believes that DOJ is their toy to play with, and they are vehemently opposed to anyone that does not share their vision playing with their toy. While the DOJ has done some good, they have also committed a ton of wrong, often in violation of plain provisions of the US Constitution. It was created to ensure one party gained a partisan political advantage, and, while it has switched its partisan allegiance to the other party, it is still mainly oriented to maintaining one party's partisan political advantage.

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

I chuckled at the absurd notion that a letter written by a guy 25 years earlier thanking a prominent person for "saving me from the draft" was not to be taken seriously as an argument because that was so long ago but citing a 30-year old written letter by a dead person is to be treated as an ex cathedra statement from the Pope to the faithful.

I suspect both Warren and McConnell were playing to their bases.

Her status as a liberal icon now gets elevated to those nutbags who tend to control the nomination process in both parties - the ones who think the reason Hillary lost is she wasn't liberal enough. (Note: This is true in both parties; Trump was primarily the product of too many candidates splitting the actual right-wing vote).
    The first rule of Tidefans interactions - Selma does not use Google; Google uses Selma

Lose a battle, win a war.

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CajunCrimson View Post
    "Gentlemanly" is a sexist code word designed to subtlety emphasize that women should not be senators. Therefore to refer to warren as being treated ungentlemanly is actually a compliment

I wonder if she invented Mazola.

???

http://articles.latimes.com/1995-04-...andrea-mazzola

The first rule of Tidefans interactions - Selma does not use Google; Google uses Selma

BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post

Corn Goodness!

Last edited by CajunCrimson; February 10th, 2017 at 10:13 AM.
    Doc Holliday: [to Johnny Ringo, after shooting him in a duel] You're no daisy! You're no daisy at all. Poor soul, you were just too high strung