Fauxcahontas: sit down and shut up!

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
I'm glad I never watch NRA TV. I had to take a BC Powder after watching that.

Brief history of Rule 19

https://www.theatlantic.com/politic...e-rule-that-silenced-elizabeth-warren/516042/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...very-loosely-enforced/?utm_term=.eb8a0689fc80

Are you aware that several Senators read the Coretta King letter the next day on the Senate floor without objection?
Are you aware that the Republican Senate rejected Sessions for a federal judgeship? I guess times have changed.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Are you aware that the Republican Senate rejected Sessions for a federal judgeship?
So, your position is that Session is a racist?
I guess times have changed.
Yeah, some time after "We'll just have to win, then."

One of the Democrats said "Rule 19 against criticizing a member of the Senate cannot apply when the subject of the debate is the fitness of a member as a nominee." I actually think this argument has some merit. I believe Rule 19 is to prevent a Senator from saying, "I oppose this bill and oh, by the way, Senator Leghorn is a scumbag."

Last edited:

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
One of the Democrats said "Rule 19 against criticizing a member of the Senate cannot apply when the subject of the debate is the fitness of a member as a nominee." I actually think this argument has some merit. I believe Rule 19 is to prevent a Senator from saying, "I oppose this bill and oh, by the way, Senator Leghorn is a scumbag."
It was apparently instituted because a string of insults in 1902 led to a fistfight on the Senate floor. Artist depiction:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I doubt if he is a racist. You agree that what I stated in my post is factual?
If you refer to my posts related the current state of politics in the US to the collapse of institutions in the declining years of the Roman Republic, you will detect that I do not support any move by current incumbents that undermines the viability of our republican institutions. The institutions are more important than any particular decision.
Shutting Warren down is ungentlemanly and undermines collegiality.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
It was apparently instituted because a string of insults in 1902 led to a fistfight on the Senate floor. Artist depiction:

content/uploads/sites/21/2017/02/senatefight.jpg[/IMG]
Here was the House version:

Charles Sumner was, well, unable to defend himself. In Massachusetts, being a wussy makes a guy a hero.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
If you refer to my posts related the current state of politics in the US to the collapse of institutions in the declining years of the Roman Republic, you will detect that I do not support any move by current incumbents that undermines the viability of our republican institutions. The institutions are more important than any particular decision.
Thank you TW. Rarely do we find ourselves in agreement, but I do respect your opinion and admire your breadth of knowledge, to which mine pales in comparison.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
And attacking another senator from the floor of the Senate with unfounded allegations is gentlemanly and promotes collegiality?

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
And attacking another senator from the floor of the Senate with unfounded allegations is gentlemanly and promotes collegiality?
"Gentlemanly" is a sexist code word designed to subtly emphasize that women should not be senators. Therefore to refer to warren as being treated ungentlemanly is actually a compliment ;)

I wonder if she invented Mazola.

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
No it doesn't, but it keeps the Democrats in the wrong. I am not convinced that a thirty year old opinion from Coretta Scott King on Jeff Sessions is really relevant, but I do believe that Rule 19 cannot have the same relevance when the senator himself is the topic of debate. I would not cede to Mrs. King a veto on Federal judgeships (or, post-mortem, on UAGs) just because she was married to MLK. Warren's was a plain appeal to authority (invoking King's name).

For the same reason that speakers in a deliberative body orient their comments to the presiding officer ("Mr. Speaker, I rise in support of the bill ...") not to their opponents. It helps maintain collegiality.

I do believe that the Left believes that DOJ is their toy to play with, and they are vehemently opposed to anyone that does not share their vision playing with their toy. While the DOJ has done some good, they have also committed a ton of wrong, often in violation of plain provisions of the US Constitution. It was created to ensure one party gained a partisan political advantage, and, while it has switched its partisan allegiance to the other party, it is still mainly oriented to maintaining one party's partisan political advantage.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I chuckled at the absurd notion that a letter written by a guy 25 years earlier thanking a prominent person for "saving me from the draft" was not to be taken seriously as an argument because that was so long ago but citing a 30-year old written letter by a dead person is to be treated as an ex cathedra statement from the Pope to the faithful.

I suspect both Warren and McConnell were playing to their bases.

Her status as a liberal icon now gets elevated to those nutbags who tend to control the nomination process in both parties - the ones who think the reason Hillary lost is she wasn't liberal enough. (Note: This is true in both parties; Trump was primarily the product of too many candidates splitting the actual right-wing vote).

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.