BJ Emmons Undergoing A Second Surgery Today

WPtider

1st Team
Jan 10, 2006
DC
Don't want to speculate on the kids medical problems but typically Lis Franc fractures are treated with screws to maintain a normal relationship while the injured bone/ligament heals. Its not uncommon to take the screws out with a second surgery 3 months later so they don't break when he starts putting weight on it. Just speculation on my part but if that's the reason for the surgery its not unexpected. You guys are right that this can be a bad injury especially if not diagnosed quickly and stabilized in an anatomic position (high rate of long-term midfoot arthritis).

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Don't want to speculate on the kids medical problems but typically Lis Franc fractures are treated with screws to maintain a normal relationship while the injured bone/ligament heals. Its not uncommon to take the screws out with a second surgery 3 months later so they don't break when he starts putting weight on it. Just speculation on my part but if that's the reason for the surgery its not unexpected. You guys are right that this can be a bad injury especially if not diagnosed quickly and stabilized in an anatomic position (high rate of long-term midfoot arthritis).
Let's hope that's the case and it's not one where they are having to do additional work to repair it.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
Thanks. We tend to focus on the worst possible scenarios.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
While we had good runningbacks ahead of Eddy Lacey, he seemed to be injury prone for his first few years. Never was a full time starter until around his senior year.
Reading some of these posts I wonder how many gave up on him ever being the workhorse in our backfield. He seems to have done OK for a kid with a few injury problems.
One thing I like about our RB rotation is most players have time to develop without being beaten down or used up. The best usually rise to the top after a few years. Hopefully Emmons will recover 100%, get stronger and be a huge asset to our backfield before his eligibility runs out.

:BigA:

MobileCrimson

1st Team
Feb 27, 2014
While we had good runningbacks ahead of Eddy Lacey, he seemed to be injury prone for his first few years. Never was a full time starter until around his senior year.
Reading some of these posts I wonder how many gave up on him ever being the workhorse in our backfield. He seems to have done OK for a kid with a few injury problems.
One thing I like about our RB rotation is most players have time to develop without being beaten down or used up. The best usually rise to the top after a few years. Hopefully Emmons will recover 100%, get stronger and be a huge asset to our backfield before his eligibility runs out.

Eddie Lacy left Alabama as a redshirt junior in 2012. He never was a senior.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011

I don't read any of this as folks giving up on BJ. It's not that he has been injury prone. It's that this particular injury can be quite difficult to recover from and everyone is hoping that he does. Eddie also wasn't in as much danger getting lost on the depth chart as our RB corps wasn't as deep as it is now because in 2010 and 2011 we basically whiffed at RB (Nudie, Corey Grant and Dee Hart). I know Nudie was a great player for us, but early injuries set him way back and put him in a different role. Net it all out, behind TR we had Eddie and Yeldon then when TR was gone, we had Eddie, Yeldon and the 4 freshman in the big RB class we had to sign to have depth (yet only ended up with one player from that group). On today's roster it's easier for a guy to slide down. Bo, D. Harris and Jacobs are all going to get reps. N. Harris will be hard to hold off for a spot if Bj isn't 100%, and Richardson is a really good back as well.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

The key part for Eddie was he was behind two first round draft picks. Of course, he didn't get too much playing time until they were gone.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.