Hypothetical: Who would have been impeached first? Hill or Don?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Displaced Bama Fan's Avatar

Hypothetical: Who would have been impeached first? Hill or Don?

Hillary obviously had a ton of secrets and baggage which I think would have led to her impeachment had she won. Don has really stepped up his game and forcing me to question his ability to govern rationally.

Maybe we should have an over under how quickly he will be impeached.

Thoughts?

2. Advertisement

Re: Hypothetical: Who would have been impeached first? Hill or Don?

Clinton was investigated over and over to no effect. Trump is just getting started and he acts like he is trying to run a private company, rather than the country and screwing up daily. So my answer is Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamaro View Post
    Clinton was investigated over and over to no effect. Trump is just getting started and he acts like he is trying to run a private company, rather than the country and screwing up daily. So my answer is Trump.
    I think it was just a matter of time for Hillary. Her days were numbered regardless. Either impeached or medically unqualified if all her medical issues/rumors were true.

Trump may be mentally incompetent at this point. I smooth hand off to a "Triumvirate" of Kushner, Tillerson & Mattis may be in order. I think all three are personality-wise, strong enough to stand up to and overrule "The Don."

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar

The GOP holds the House 241-194. They won't do it. Maybe if Pelosi is Speaker in 2019.

But the GOP has 52 Senate seats with just nine, including Strange, up in 2018. So it would be unlikely he'd be removed from office.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post
    The GOP holds the House 241-194. They won't do it. Maybe if Pelosi is Speaker in 2019.

But the GOP has 52 Senate seats with just nine, including Strange, up in 2018. So it would be unlikely he'd be removed from office.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't know...if he keeps up his ways, Ryan and McConnell may rebel.

BamaNation All-American

It's interesting that incompetence is an impeachable offense for the Governor of Alabama, but isn't for the President of the United States. Impeachment itself is akin to an indictment. But to be convicted and removed from office, the president has to be found guilty of "high crimes and misdemeanors," as those are interpreted by two-thirds of the Senate.

No way in today's environment that you could get two-thirds of the Senators to agree that the sky is blue, much less agree on the removal of a President.

Hillary might have gotten impeached. Maybe. It takes only a 50% +1 vote of the House to do that, and Republicans might have been able to muster 218 votes. But 67 Senators to vote to convict / remove from office? No way.

Given the current makeup of the House, the chances of Trump being impeached are about on a par with me winning the lottery. And like Hillary, no way the Senate gets 67 votes to convict / remove.
    You can't reason a man out of a position he didn't reason himself into.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Neither

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by 4Q Basket Case View Post
    It's interesting that incompetence is an impeachable offense for the Governor of Alabama, but isn't for the President of the United States. Impeachment itself is akin to an indictment. But to be convicted and removed from office, the president has to be found guilty of "high crimes and misdemeanors," as those are interpreted by two-thirds of the Senate.

No way in today's environment that you could get two-thirds of the Senators to agree that the sky is blue, much less agree on the removal of a President.
    The 25th amendment provides a way to remove the president for true incompetence (doing things some don't agree with is not incompetence). But it's probably a steeper hill to climb than impeachment because it requires a majority of the cabinet he appointed to do so.

As to the original question, put me in the "neither" camp. Even if the Dems had the numbers, I don't think they're looking forward to a Pence presidency.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tidewater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 4Q Basket Case View Post
    It's interesting that incompetence is an impeachable offense for the Governor of Alabama, but isn't for the President of the United States.
    Jonathan Turley (of my other alma mater, Geo. Washington U) said that "high crimes and misdemeanors" means whatever Congress wants to it mean, including wearing ugly ties, if they really want to.
    To illustrate, Turley said, that, if a serious international crisis was brewing and the President said, "Screw it. I'm going to go play golf." If he persisted in refusing to do his presidential duty, the Congress could impeach and remove, even though playing golf is not a crime.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Displaced Bama Fan View Post
    Hillary obviously had a ton of secrets and baggage which I think would have led to her impeachment had she won. Don has really stepped up his game and forcing me to question his ability to govern rationally.

Maybe we should have an over under how quickly he will be impeached.

Thoughts?
    I think Donald would be impeached first. It looks Clinton was selling the presidency to the highest bidder, through the Clinton Foundation. I am sure one of the many powerful people, that Clinton owed favors to because of the CF, would see to it she stayed in power. Toss in the fact, that a large number of supporters on the left have been bought, and it is easy to see that it would be virtually impossible to remove HC. On the the flip side, we have not see Donald's tax returns, so he might be just as shady.

I think it was just a matter of time for Hillary. Her days were numbered regardless. Either impeached or medically unqualified if all her medical issues/rumors were true.

Trump may be mentally incompetent at this point. I smooth hand off to a "Triumvirate" of Kushner, Tillerson & Mattis may be in order. I think all three are personality-wise, strong enough to stand up to and overrule "The Don."
    That was fake news and Trumps delusions.

BamaNation First Team

I don't know...if he keeps up his ways, Ryan and McConnell may rebel.
    Ryan won't last past 2018 ... he will be defeated in the primary from the alt-right.

BamaNation All-American mikes12's Avatar

Hillary is a hypothetical at this point, but I think she was too strongly connected, politically speaking, to be impeached. Also, as "first woman president", it would have been seen as sexist by those who look at everything primarily through the prism of race/sex/gender/orientation/identity/etc.