TN proposed bill: Drivers who hit protesters immune to civil liability

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Protestors shouldn't block streets.
Protestors blocking streets shouldn't be run over.
Is that too hard to understand in a civilized society?:rolleyes:
Generally, I agree. However, when we enter the realm of violent or menacing false imprisonment then the person responsible has committed a felony and by definition is either using or threatening to use violence to imprison someone. In that case a reasonable person might feel the need to protect himself and his wife and kids by escaping by whatever route possible even if the offending person (and perhaps even other people - very likely to be an accomplice or coconspirator) are in the way. IOW, it depends on the circumstances, as always. If you are standing peaceably in my way and no one with me is in danger I will stop and stay under my own protest. If we are in danger from your actions I will do whatever is necessary to remove us from an unsafe situation even if that means hurting you. That goes for direct harm from you or indirect harm like a medical emergency and you are knowingly in the way - depending on the situation I might be likely to inform you of the emergency and give you the opportunity to move before you kill my family member first.

BamaPokerplayer

All-American
Oct 10, 2004
If you're dead, it won't do you much good.

Meanwhile, I have the right to slickest tongued attorney devil I can find to make the argument "only an idiot goes out in front of the car and this could happen to any one of you at any time."

Guess how that one is most likely going to come out?
Solid points. I believe you are right, if I were to just jump in front of your car. However, if I say, "I am protesting," before jumping in front of your car, it is payday for me. Assuming I live of course.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
If you're dead, it won't do you much good.

Meanwhile, I have the right to slickest tongued attorney devil I can find to make the argument "only an idiot goes out in front of the car and this could happen to any one of you at any time."

Guess how that one is most likely going to come out?
Jim Adler, the Texas Hammer, says "Hello."

Aledinho

All-SEC
Feb 22, 2007
To be fair, if Nazis were blocking the street, I think everyone here would be channeling their inner Blues Brother.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
Solid points. I believe you are right, if I were to just jump in front of your car. However, if I say, "I am protesting," before jumping in front of your car, it is payday for me. Assuming I live of course.
Which would depend on the roadway you choose to stand in protest. If it's in a less traveled county road, and the residents are sympathetic to your cause, you might live.
If it's in an interstate highway where people are on their daily commute to and from work, and they don't have time for your reckless bs, then your chances of survival are slim to none.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Hey Reb, let's go into business together. National franchise called "Road Kill Rentals". We rent equipment and driver to municipalities to clear the streets of protesters. A combo of Mad Max and the Soylent Green harvester.

If you will be the driver I will try and set up a demo road clearance ASAP.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
It's probably not a good idea to post on Tidefans that you would, in fact, hit someone if it arose because that would sort of signal INTENT.

Again - it seems stupid to me that anyone would think they could just rush out onto the Interstate as happened in Memphis last year and then get shocked if you get plowed. It's a bit different if you're say down in Dealey Plaza.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Protests are a fundamental part of American discourse. But my experience is that people believe illegal acts committed under the guise of political protest are OK if the beholder agrees with the purpose of the protest, but are crimes of the beholder doesn't agree.

Personally, I think the right to protest doesn't include the ability to commit other acts that are illegal.

So if I get up one morning and decide I'm going to block I-65 just because I want to have fun watching the disruption it causes, I don't think anyone here would contend that it was a legal act.

The fact that I carry a sign protesting abortion or Trump's travel ban, or anything else doesn't allow me to skate.

Protest anything you want as long as you want. Just don't commit other illegal acts in the process.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Protests are a fundamental part of American discourse. But my experience is that people believe illegal acts committed under the guise of political protest are OK if the beholder agrees with the purpose of the protest, but are crimes of the beholder doesn't agree.

Personally, I think the right to protest doesn't include the ability to commit other acts that are illegal.

So if I get up one morning and decide I'm going to block I-65 just because I want to have fun watching the disruption it causes, I don't think anyone here would contend that it was a legal act.

The fact that I carry a sign protesting abortion or Trump's travel ban, or anything else doesn't allow me to skate.

Protest anything you want as long as you want. Just don't commit other illegal acts in the process.
Yeah, I'm sure leftists would flip flop on their "protest" stance if a protest were to block access to a planned parenthood clinic.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.