TN proposed bill: Drivers who hit protesters immune to civil liability - Page 3
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American 2003TIDE's Avatar

Re: TN proposed bill: Drivers who hit protesters immune to civil liability

Quote Originally Posted by NationalTitles16 View Post
    Because the two scenarios are EXACTLY alike.
    So you guys are the only ones that get to sit here and say 1+1=3. Got it

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame NationalTitles16's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 2003TIDE View Post
    So you guys are the only ones that get to sit here and say 1+1=3. Got it
    Who exactly are "you guys"? You are the only person making absurd comparisons here.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

BamaNation All-American

This is awesome, I can hop in front of a moving car, and when you hit me, it will be your fault.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Bama Reb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MattinBama View Post
    You're right. Here's to hoping we get stuck in traffic from these great American citizens during a medical emergency and get to watch a family member die in our car.
    If I'm driving and have to choose which one lives and which one dies, guess who loses?
    I'd rather die tomorrow as a free man than live a hundred years bound in the chains of tyranny.

For those who have stood on the wall and fought in defense of others, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BamaPokerplayer View Post
    This is awesome, I can hop in front of a moving car, and when you hit me, it will be your fault.
    If you're dead, it won't do you much good.

Meanwhile, I have the right to slickest tongued attorney devil I can find to make the argument "only an idiot goes out in front of the car and this could happen to any one of you at any time."

Guess how that one is most likely going to come out?
    The first rule of Tidefans interactions - Selma does not use Google; Google uses Selma

You snowflakes are right. Impeding traffic has no place in protests. Someone impedes traffic , they should be shot. Just like they probably did to tank man.
    LOL, that's an impressively dense comparison. I applaud you.
    Some people are immune to good advice.

1st Amendment covers protests.
    Even the ACLU acknowledges that blocking streets without a permit is illegal. Do you believe just because one is protesting they can do whatever they wish?
    Some people are immune to good advice.

1st Amendment covers protests.
    Whoa now. That's making it as simplistic as possible.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

Football and Basketball Moderator

By the way, I misread "civil" as "criminal" in my mind multiple times. This isn't as sick obviously...I think it sends the wrong message though. Someone will make the same mistake I did and think they can run over protesters with impunity now.
    I owe it to the people to have a signature...so here goes nothing!

We are not endorsing anyone running over a person with a car, whether it is protestors or anyone else. If someone intentionally harms a person, they are going to be charged with a crime, period.

I think a lot of us our seeing what we want in this bill. It looks like the bill is intended to give a measure of protection from punitive lawsuits for people who are put in dangerous situations not of their choosing. The way I see it - the people that would be protected would be a person who thought his life was in danger and hit a protester trying to escape the area (see Reginald Denny), someone that was being blocked from reaching medical help and hit a protester trying to save a life, or a driver who didn't see the protesters and accidentally hit one (e.g. when the BLM protesters started marching on to the interstate in Atlanta during the middle of the night.)

BamaNation First Team

I think the thing is, this law makes a driver immune from "civil" lawsuits. It does not make him immune to criminal lawsuits, but that's already a different beast since in civil court negligence may or may not come into play, but you can be also responsible for what happens by accident even if you weren't technically doing anything wrong; but in criminal court some degree of negligence or intent has to be involved. So this is not about the right to do something intentional, like drive into somebody blocking your path (which is still certainly illegal unless the guy is a straight up threat) nor to drive fast through a street crowded with people (which would still be negligence) but it's only about being blamed for hitting someone by accident (due to ignorance of their being a protest) and being monetarily liable for damages. The whole point of the bill seems to be to attribute the negligence to be on the part of the protester who is intentionally placing himself in place to block a moving vehicle. In essence it is just saying, damages that happen in an accident when there is someone else intentionally trying to block traffic is not your responsibility. To be technical, it has nothing to do with people's rights one way or the other, but about situations in which an accident happens.

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    By the way, I misread "civil" as "criminal" in my mind multiple times. This isn't as sick obviously...I think it sends the wrong message though. Someone will make the same mistake I did and think they can run over protesters with impunity now.
    It doesn't mean a person can't be sued if they hit a protester; it just shifts the line where responsibility meets, so to speak. Now the protester has to show not only that he was struck, but also that the person driving was being negligent in some manner. It does not permit or protect negligence except accidentally if the protester can't show it. I don't have a problem with that, though. The flip side is the driver would have to show this person was in fact a protester and not a normal pedestrian.

Protestors shouldn't block streets.
    Protestors blocking streets shouldn't be run over.
    Is that too hard to understand in a civilized society?