TN proposed bill: Drivers who hit protesters immune to civil liability - Page 4
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Bama Reb's Avatar

Re: TN proposed bill: Drivers who hit protesters immune to civil liability

Quote Originally Posted by Bamaro View Post
    Protestors shouldn't block streets.
    Protestors blocking streets shouldn't be run over.
    Is that too hard to understand in a civilized society?
    No, not for me. At the same time, being "civilized" automatically assumes that you conduct yourself according to the rules of society. In this case I think it means it means "If you'll stay out of the roadway, I agree to not drive on the sidewalk."
    I'd rather die tomorrow as a free man than live a hundred years bound in the chains of tyranny.

For those who have stood on the wall and fought in defense of others, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame NationalTitles16's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bamaro View Post
    Protestors shouldn't block streets.
    Protestors blocking streets shouldn't be run over.
    Is that too hard to understand in a civilized society?
    Generally, I agree. However, when we enter the realm of violent or menacing false imprisonment then the person responsible has committed a felony and by definition is either using or threatening to use violence to imprison someone. In that case a reasonable person might feel the need to protect himself and his wife and kids by escaping by whatever route possible even if the offending person (and perhaps even other people - very likely to be an accomplice or coconspirator) are in the way. IOW, it depends on the circumstances, as always. If you are standing peaceably in my way and no one with me is in danger I will stop and stay under my own protest. If we are in danger from your actions I will do whatever is necessary to remove us from an unsafe situation even if that means hurting you. That goes for direct harm from you or indirect harm like a medical emergency and you are knowingly in the way - depending on the situation I might be likely to inform you of the emergency and give you the opportunity to move before you kill my family member first.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    If you're dead, it won't do you much good.

Meanwhile, I have the right to slickest tongued attorney devil I can find to make the argument "only an idiot goes out in front of the car and this could happen to any one of you at any time."

Guess how that one is most likely going to come out?
    Solid points. I believe you are right, if I were to just jump in front of your car. However, if I say, "I am protesting," before jumping in front of your car, it is payday for me. Assuming I live of course.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Displaced Bama Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    If you're dead, it won't do you much good.

Meanwhile, I have the right to slickest tongued attorney devil I can find to make the argument "only an idiot goes out in front of the car and this could happen to any one of you at any time."

Guess how that one is most likely going to come out?
    Jim Adler, the Texas Hammer, says "Hello."

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tide1986's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 2003TIDE View Post
    Didn't realize the right to run over someone was a right.
    If one stands in traffic, hasn't he chosen his method of death? Let's call it assisted suicide.
    The Concord Blue Devils, 17-Time World Champions: 2015, 2014 (99.65), 2012, 2010, 2009, 2007, 2003, 1999, 1997, 1996, 1994, 1986, 1982, 1980, 1979, 1977, & 1976. Enriching the lives of young people through a commitment to youth development and performance excellence.

“The discovery of a wine is of greater moment than the discovery of a constellation. The universe is too full of stars.” ― Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by 2003TIDE View Post
    LOL.
    You have no regard for "domestic tranquility" or "the blessings of liberty"?
    The Concord Blue Devils, 17-Time World Champions: 2015, 2014 (99.65), 2012, 2010, 2009, 2007, 2003, 1999, 1997, 1996, 1994, 1986, 1982, 1980, 1979, 1977, & 1976. Enriching the lives of young people through a commitment to youth development and performance excellence.

“The discovery of a wine is of greater moment than the discovery of a constellation. The universe is too full of stars.” ― Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by MattinBama View Post
    You're right. Here's to hoping we get stuck in traffic from these great American citizens during a medical emergency and get to watch a family member die in our car.
    And that would be called murder.

BamaNation Hall of Fame jthomas666's Avatar

I may disagree with you, but I'm pretty sure you're not Hitler.

BamaNation Hall of Fame NationalTitles16's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jthomas666 View Post
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jthomas666 View Post
    I've seen this one, honestly surprised you posted it.
    Some people are immune to good advice.

BamaNation Hall of Fame jthomas666's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    I've seen this one, honestly surprised you posted it.
    Yeah, it was kind of a cheap way to....

...push some buttons.
    I may disagree with you, but I'm pretty sure you're not Hitler.

To be fair, if Nazis were blocking the street, I think everyone here would be channeling their inner Blues Brother.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Bama Reb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BamaPokerplayer View Post
    Solid points. I believe you are right, if I were to just jump in front of your car. However, if I say, "I am protesting," before jumping in front of your car, it is payday for me. Assuming I live of course.
    Which would depend on the roadway you choose to stand in protest. If it's in a less traveled county road, and the residents are sympathetic to your cause, you might live.
    If it's in an interstate highway where people are on their daily commute to and from work, and they don't have time for your reckless bs, then your chances of survival are slim to none.
    I'd rather die tomorrow as a free man than live a hundred years bound in the chains of tyranny.

For those who have stood on the wall and fought in defense of others, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.