Drought over? Lake Oroville flowing over emergency spillway for first time ever... - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame seebell's Avatar

Re: Drought over? Lake Oroville flowing over emergency spillway for first time ever..

When do the mudslides start?

2. Advertisement
    FB|BB Moderator NationalTitles16's Avatar

Re: Drought over? Lake Oroville flowing over emergency spillway for first time ever..

Quote Originally Posted by seebell View Post
    When do the mudslides start?
    They already have.

https://www.google.com/search?q=muds...rnia&tbs=qdr:w
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

BamaNation Hall of Fame Displaced Bama Fan's Avatar

The spillway has washed out. Too much rain.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...s-amid-storms/
    Last edited by Displaced Bama Fan; February 11th, 2017 at 09:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NationalTitles16 View Post
    SaaStr?
    no, I was in Mountain View and San Jose this week not San Fran
    "There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist." - Terry Pratchett

BamaNation All-SEC

]Oops, posted this in the wrong thread a minute ago. Too many CA threads! Anyway, crazy but the damn may not hold that are saying. Mandatory evacuation for the area. Yikes!
    http://www.sacbee.com/news/state/cal...132332499.html
    "You look at 30 feet times the area of the reservoir," he said. "That is how much water is going to come out. That is a huge volume of water."
    Last edited by LA4Bama; February 12th, 2017 at 09:45 PM.

Yeah. It's actually not the dam but the emergency spillway which has been eroded at its base by overflow. The main spillway is lined but developed a big hole so they slowed the flow there. They had to open that back up to 100,000cfs and that has taken some pressure off the emergency spillway. Thankfully it hasn't gone yet and may not if luck holds out. My cousin is a little further downriver and has already evacuated.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by NationalTitles16 View Post
    Yeah. It's actually not the dam but the emergency spillway which has been eroded at its base by overflow. The main spillway is lined but developed a big hole so they slowed the flow there. They had to open that back up to 100,000cfs and that has taken some pressure off the emergency spillway. Thankfully it hasn't gone yet and may not if luck holds out. My cousin is a little further downriver and has already evacuated.
    Hm it seems they backed off the earlier accountt. There was a reported concern that the damaged spillway would basically give way much more quickly than first predicted thereby heavily increasing the outflow. Seems that was a mistake now.

Lake level has dropped to 0.02 feet above the emergency spillway. They have been forced to keep high flow going on the damaged main spillway in order to relieve pressure off the emergency spillway. Levees downstream might fail. My cousin downriver lives about 1/4 from the river and is not protected by the levee. The jail nearby is being evacuated now. Flooding of low lying areas is a virtual certainty now.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

BamaNation All-American Elefantman's Avatar

Not out of the woods yet. More rain coming on Wednesday.
    "I'm a loner. And a loner has got to be alone"
    Jesse

Quote Originally Posted by LA4Bama View Post
    Hm it seems they backed off the earlier accountt. There was a reported concern that the damaged spillway would basically give way much more quickly than first predicted thereby heavily increasing the outflow. Seems that was a mistake now.
    Not so much a mistake as good fortune. The erosion was not as bad as previously believed, opening the main spigot has helped, and they are lowering the lake level a few feet to take pressure off as well as bringing in rock/filler to shore up the base. It's still a dangerous situation and downriver flooding is a near certainty. KRCR is reporting live now.

My cousin lives next door to someone who works at the dam. They were sent home this morning to evacuate their own family. Everyone there has gone to higher ground.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Elefantman View Post
    Not out of the woods yet. More rain coming on Wednesday.
    1-2" expected Wed-Thurs. Hopefully they can get the lake lowered enough before then and maybe get some filler up there to shore up the base.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

188,000 have been evacuated as a precaution.

BamaNation All-American sabanball's Avatar