Bama hosting uk

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Yes, typically it does. In my post, however, it didn't.... I thought I made that ultimately clear.... If I thought the team quit, I'd say they did. I watched the game, and know they didn't. I also know, that if a team commits more turnovers than the opponent at home and hits 9-of-26 from the charity stripe, they're not all mentally there for the entire 40 minutes. I thought the referees, on the whole, were decent - besides the two travelling calls they missed and one or two fouls on Dazon that weren't.... .Usually, when playing KY, there is a lot larger gap in officiating. This game wasn't nearly as horrid as years' past.
Agreed the officiating wasn't as bad as we've seen some years. It was still pretty dang bad. In no way was it "decent."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Bottom line: Competed throughout, kept themselves from being competitive throughout.

Yes, typically it does. In my post, however, it didn't.... I thought I made that ultimately clear.... If I thought the team quit, I'd say they did. I watched the game, and know they didn't. I also know, that if a team commits more turnovers than the opponent at home and hits 9-of-26 from the charity stripe, they're not all mentally there for the entire 40 minutes. I thought the referees, on the whole, were decent - besides the two travelling calls they missed and one or two fouls on Dazon that weren't.... .Usually, when playing KY, there is a lot larger gap in officiating. This game wasn't nearly as horrid as years' past.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Probably best to acknowledge it was a poor choice of words and move on.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
This one was simply due to self inflicted wounds. No the officials didn't help us but this was a winnable game. UK was well short of their season average in scoring. 35% from the free throw line is unacceptable at this level. We hit our free throws and I think we win. It is as simple as that. The careless mental turnovers are what cost us. The 3 to begin the 2nd half were a killer. We just do not have a ball handler. Our assist to TO ratio has to be amoung the worst in the country. They rebounded with us and that was huge as well. We needed all the extra shots we could get.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Just wanted to say sorry for the loss today. I turned on your game after ours finished and saw some of the things mentioned above. They are all correctable in my opinion and you have a great coaching staff that will work on it so hang in there.....

I also did not see any quit from your players - they played very hard!

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
From what I saw, this Alabama team should beat this UK team when playing in Tuscaloosa. This was frustrating, some of it the usual wash-rinse-repeat; unforced turnover-missed free throws-bad calls by refs. Overall the refs weren't too bad but they blew more calls in UK's favor and some late were awful. (UK player over Taylor's back going for a put back and Taylor gets called for foul?)

UK did make some really good baskets to stop a couple of Bama runs so they deserve some credit for that. Otherwise, Bama just didn't take advantage when they had multiple opportunities.

One play I really liked late in the game. Taylor (maybe Hall) jumped out high when Ingram had the ball and appeared to be coming out to set a pick. Ingram beat his man off the dribble and drove to the basket. I don't know if the big man was going to set a pick or just coming out to pull the UK big out of the paint freeing Bama up for the drive.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I "tried" to watch most of the game. Fast forwarded thru most of it, especially the second half. My observations:

1. We pass up too many open looks to try to drive to the basket.
2. Related to #1, we have to work too hard to get a basket. In camparisoin, KY seemed to get plenty of open, easy looks.
3. We turn the ball over too much because we "over pass" (related to #1 too).
4. The reason we don't take those open looks is because we don't have any great shooters. It's been my complaint about Bama basketball for years now going back to Grant. We recruit great althletes but I can't remember the last pure shooter we've had. When a great shooter gets an open look he doesn't pass the ball to another player...he doesn't drive to the basket...he doesn't drive and then make a bad pass...HE SHOOTS THE ROCK. I think Coach Avery is trying to rectify the problem. Got some guys coming in that hopefully can shoot the ball.
5. The quickest way to see how we don't have any shooters is to look at what happens when we go to the free throw line. I will admit that even for average shooters we are terrible at the charity stripe, but the free throw line is the quickest insight into a players ability to shoot the ball.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
While we deserved the loss, UK earned their Hiking merit badge with all the walking they did yesterday.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.