Military Academy Recruiting?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Redwood Forrest's Avatar

Question Military Academy Recruiting?

Recruiting numbers for the past 5 years:

Army: 45, 38, 39, 25 & 13
    USAF: 48, 37, 28, 24 & 43
    Navy: 49, 37, 29, 22 & 23

Do the Military Academies have special rules to sign so many players? I wonder what gives with this?
    I do not believe in atheists, therefore they do not exist.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American 1FitToBeTide's Avatar

Re: Military Academy Recruiting?

Not sure about the big difference in recruiting numbers, Red, not finding an explanation online. However I did find this really interesting article on some of the challenges military academy coaches have to face in signing quality athletes. For instance, I had never heard of the weight limit, 221 lbs (!) max, for a signee to the AF Academy. They have to graduate at that weight also. It went on to say that consequently, lots of the guys have to do some major shedding of poundage in order to meet graduate requirements. It's an interesting read.

CLICK

"When you are arguing against Him, you are arguing against the very power that makes you able to argue at all." C.S. Lewis

"Aim at Heaven and you will get Earth thrown in. Aim at Earth and you will get neither." C.S Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by 1FitToBeTide View Post
    Not sure about the big difference in recruiting numbers, Red, not finding an explanation online. However I did find this really interesting article on some of the challenges military academy coaches have to face in signing quality athletes. For instance, I had never heard of the weight limit, 221 lbs (!) max, for a signee to the AF Academy. They have to graduate at that weight also. It went on to say that consequently, lots of the guys have to do some major shedding of poundage in order to meet graduate requirements. It's an interesting read.

CLICK
    To be sure the military schools face a rough road to travel. I have often wondered why they don't relax their standard for athletes or drop down to division II. Navy and Air Force seem to be playing around mid-level in FBS but poor Army has lost to Division II often in the past few seasons. Navy and Air Force could probably be playing for championships in Div II.

The best players want to go pro, not go enlistment. So if you can't recruit the best players, why not drop down?

Being able to recruit extra two stars doesn't seem to help them much.

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Remember, everyone at a military academy is on a full scholarship, if you want to call it that - no one pays to attend. So anyone who participates in football counts following standard NCAA rules. They have to have special rules of some sort or they would be at an even greater disadvantage.

Technically all players for them are under a scholarship. Even walk ons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Redwood Forrest View Post
    Recruiting numbers for the past 5 years:

Army: 45, 38, 39, 25 & 13
    USAF: 48, 37, 28, 24 & 43
    Navy: 49, 37, 29, 22 & 23

Do the Military Academies have special rules to sign so many players? I wonder what gives with this?
    Is it fair to say 5 years ago a lot of those you men were deployed somewhere? I don't know just asking. If so, they ought to be allowed to replenish their roster.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Remember, everyone at a military academy is on a full scholarship, if you want to call it that - no one pays to attend. So anyone who participates in football counts following standard NCAA rules. They have to have special rules of some sort or they would be at an even greater disadvantage.
    I am confused. Do you mean they have no walk-ons and this is how they get some?

BamaNation All-American TheRealPokeChop's Avatar

GI bill pays for their education, they then go into active service after graduation

BamaNation All-SEC

From another point of view they have no sports scholarships at all, since there is no tuition to remit. You could say their players are all walk-ons I suppose, the recruited ones like preferred walk-ons.

BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LA4Bama View Post
    From another point of view they have no sports scholarships at all, since there is no tuition to remit. You could say their players are all walk-ons I suppose, the recruited ones like preferred walk-ons.
    Doesn't matter. If you are under scholarship and you play football, it counts. Otherwise schools would just give out limitless academic scholarships to get around the rules. These kids pay nothing. They are all under scholarship.

The rules for the academies are a little different. Everyone there gets full tuition, room, board and a small monthly stipend. The numbers are also skewed because of the prep schools. Candidates that are academically marginal (primarily athletes and prior service) go to USMA prep school for a year and if they make the grade enroll the following year as plebes to complete the four year academic program (this is a defacto redshirt year). Because your scholarship is not tied to athletic participation there is also a higher attrition rate than at normal schools where kids will quit sports to focus on academics or leave the academy entirely before starting their junior year (historically as high as 1/3 of the student body).

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Doesn't matter. If you are under scholarship and you play football, it counts. Otherwise schools would just give out limitless academic scholarships to get around the rules. These kids pay nothing. They are all under scholarship.
    That was my point, but since they don't have to play the sport to have the scholarship, I emphasized the de facto absence of sports scholarships.

To be sure the military schools face a rough road to travel. I have often wondered why they don't relax their standard for athletes or drop down to division II. Navy and Air Force seem to be playing around mid-level in FBS but poor Army has lost to Division II often in the past few seasons. Navy and Air Force could probably be playing for championships in Div II.

The best players want to go pro, not go enlistment. So if you can't recruit the best players, why not drop down?

Being able to recruit extra two stars doesn't seem to help them much.
    They don't go on enlistment, as you put it. When you graduate from a service academy, you are commissioned as an officer. My understanding is that a service academy diploma is looked on as an elite diploma. I know your point is that top players don't want to go in the military, but I wanted to clarify the point.