TPD: Lester Cotton Arrested Friday Night on Drug Charges

MikeD

Suspended
Feb 24, 2007
I wish the Government would just go ahead legalize it's use..Folks come hell or highwater are going to smoke weed, there's lots of lawful & monetary consequences when folks gets busted, it's going to eventually become legal to smoke & possess one of these days..I just wish they would just go ahead by legalizing it nationally..
Or people could just be responsible for their actions. Tough concept for this generation.

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
It's funny that when something like this happens to players on other teams we remark about what a control problem they have on that team but when a player for Bama does it it's either no big deal or everybody does it or it ought not be illegal, etc.

At this point and time it is still illegal in most states to smoke MJ. At some point and time these young men must understand that there are choices in life and you can make good ones and bad ones and there are consequences. I don't care what your stance is as far as should MJ should be legal or illegal. That's a large problem with our society today.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
It's funny that when something like this happens to players on other teams we remark about what a control problem they have on that team but when a player for Bama does it it's either no big deal or everybody does it or it ought not be illegal, etc.
The only time we bring up a control problem at another program is when it's a constant issue. And when it comes to pot, the "it ought not be illegal" stance isn't Alabama-exclusive.

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
The only time we bring up a control problem at another program is when it's a constant issue. And when it comes to pot, the "it ought not be illegal" stance isn't Alabama-exclusive.
It may not be Alabama exclusive but it's not illegal in JUST Alabama, either. Don't like the law? Lobby for a change in the law. Until then, and unless it is changed, how about teaching personal responsibility and respect for the law instead of the it's not my fault that it's illegal defense?

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
It may not be Alabama exclusive but it's not illegal in JUST Alabama, either. Don't like the law? Lobby for a change in the law. Until then, and unless it is changed, how about teaching personal responsibility and respect for the law instead of the it's not my fault that it's illegal defense?
I think you are misrepresenting what RTR91 was suggesting to make your point.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
You implied posters only say pot shouldn't be illegal when an Alabama player gets busted. I was saying that's not the case. Those on here that feel pot should be legal make their feelings heard no matter the team or player.

That is all.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The government created this problem with its "war on drugs". I don't know a single person who respects drug laws, and my friends are not drug users (well, other than alcohol :biggrin:). Lack of respect breeds contempt, both for the laws and those trying to enforce them.

IMO, folks who want to use drugs are going to use them - period.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The government created this problem with its "war on drugs". I don't know a single person who respects drug laws, and my friends are not drug users (well, other than alcohol :biggrin:). Lack of respect breeds contempt, both for the laws and those trying to enforce them.

IMO, folks who want to use drugs are going to use them - period.
This is the crux of it. We're never going to remove the social cost of drug abusers by prohibition but we can remove the social cost of drug trafficking by providing legal venues of commerce for those goods. That doesn't jive with the puritanical/evangelical roots of this nation though. The point isn't whether prohibition is effective in reality. The goal is to break the human spirit as one would break a horse through total abstinence from corrupting forces. Pragmatic rationale on what is the greater good for society doesn't matter to people in this mindset. The goal isn't what is attainable. The goal is what is unattainable for all intents and purposes: godliness. It doesn't matter if prohibition creates mobs and violence and untreated sickly people. The only point is that it has no place in what they reckon is God's plan for society (whatever that may mean over the generations).

dooger

Suspended
Dec 4, 2016
I'm not being cynical or anything... I understand we as a fan will post stories about like this, but I hope the thread don't end up like the one with previous players getting arrested ( Cam Robinson, Hootie Jones, etc..)
Its unfortunate. In Washington or Colorado he would not be stopped.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
This is the crux of it. We're never going to remove the social cost of drug abusers by prohibition but we can remove the social cost of drug trafficking by providing legal venues of commerce for those goods. That doesn't jive with the puritanical/evangelical roots of this nation though. The point isn't whether prohibition is effective in reality. The goal is to break the human spirit as one would break a horse through total abstinence from corrupting forces. Pragmatic rationale on what is the greater good for society doesn't matter to people in this mindset. The goal isn't what is attainable. The goal is what is unattainable for all intents and purposes: godliness. It doesn't matter if prohibition creates mobs and violence and untreated sickly people. The only point is that it has no place in what they reckon is God's plan for society (whatever that may mean over the generations).
Over 52,000 people in the US died in 2015 with cause of death as drug overdose - the leading cause of accidental death. It's likely (based on a recent study in Atlanta that analyzed coroner records and found large number of suicides and other teen/youth deaths with a root cause of addiction) that there are just as many deaths that are caused by drugs, but that are not categorized correctly so the number could be over 100k. Opioids account for close to 40% of that number. With some drugs it's ok to debate whether they should or should not be legal or we should try and prohibit them, but for drugs like heroin that can create addiction and kill so quickly and in such great numbers, in my opinion, we have a duty to ask our law enforcement to try and stop these substances from entering our country and putting the maximum potential punishment on those who smuggle them in. However, we should stop considering addicts as criminals and more as victims. Addicts need treatment, not prison. Dealers deserve far more punishment than they are receiving in the current framework.

kayakerjess

All-American
Sep 9, 2005
Colorado
Its unfortunate. In Washington or Colorado he would not be stopped.
Not true. It's still illegal to be smoking in your car, just like an open container law for alcohol. If you are carrying a sealed container, that's one thing. But you better believe if you are toking it up in a moving car enough that a cop can smell it, you will get caught. It's not a free-for-all...

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
There's another gray hair added to Coach Saban's head. In my case, I don't get any grayer, I just lose them.

These are the things that bring grief and gray hairs into the lives of parents, coaches, teachers, administrators, et al. Please give Coach
Saban a break and a prayer! He's looking to find the very best coaches to teach you the game and bringing in the best people to help MOTIVATE and
direct players to a FUTURE of SUCCESS whether that be football or just a successful life.

Be the best you can be. Get HIGH off of just being alive, helping the less fortunate, making a child smile, teaching a child how to do something POSITIVE in their life,
being a good role model for our youngsters, etc.

Prayers for Mr. Cotton to face the Coach Saban consequences and be a better person and football player as a result. I'll just say finally, those without sin, please cast the first stone.

Wait, where did everyone go including me?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.