TPD: Lester Cotton Arrested Friday Night on Drug Charges

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
I wonder if it will be harder to discipline players for this stuff after recently employing 2 coaches with issues themselves.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I wonder if it will be harder to discipline players for this stuff after recently employing 2 coaches with issues themselves.
Nope - the player will also be given a second chance, but watched very carefully.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Nope - the player will also be given a second chance, but watched very carefully.

agreed - just like those coaches were on their second chance. I don't think anyone is saying kick cotton off the team, just that he needs to be disciplined appropriately. I'm sure the coaches and the players leadership group will put a plan in place that will force cotton to earn his way back in to full participation.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Just for the point of discussion, I do think laws are a very good deterrent to bad behavior - I just think pot is the exception that proves the rule.

In any case, CNS will punish the kid as necessary and hopefully he learns to make better decisions. Simple as that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
There are a lot of laws that I dislike but I still have to abide by them. Simply dismissing misses the point of the problem. Not the end of the world though.
I think that we all agree that folks should abide by the laws of the land. Some of us are just discussing why laws like this are so often ignored. But we all know the law, and when someone like this chooses to break it they also risk suffering the consequences.

He did the crime, so now he will "do the time", so to speak. No one is really suggesting otherwise. But a whole lot of people believe that this type of thing should no longer be criminalized. As such, they are not going to judge him too harshly. But if he keeps breaking the law and getting caught he is going to ruin his life, so I hope that he learns from this.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I don't mind the pot smoking in itself, what I don't like is when a player accepts a scholly, he agrees to not smoke pot. So there's that.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I have a hard time getting upset over this. I wish it hadn't happened as I think it shows a lack of self discipline, but in the end - just not a big deal.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I don't mind the pot smoking in itself, what I don't like is when a player accepts a scholly, he agrees to not smoke pot. So there's that.
Eh...I've just grown to a point where I just wish they would legalize it, tax it and treat it like alcohol. As I said, Mr. Cotton has a few thousand stairs in his very near future. I hope they bring a power washer to clean up the puke.

Lester a word of advice, eat light. ;)

Im_on_dsp

All-SEC
Oct 10, 2007
Canton, GA
Maybe washington and colorado can use that as a recruiting tool, Come to colorado play some ball, and smoke some dope.
Not really. Pot is still a banned substance by the NCAA and despite its growing acceptance across the country, use on college campuses is illegal because universities are forced to comply with the Drug Free Schools and Communities Act. Any schools that fails to follow federal guidelines run the risk of losing government funding.

hacksaw830

2nd Team
Jan 20, 2007
I was just funnin. I dont smoke pot and dont have an opinion on legalization any more. but i played with some guys who did, to be honest the were not good team mates ,all three had potential But the coach turned his head, they were all lazy, miss3d pracrice and would get stoned before some games, needless to say we sucked. Anyway maybe MJ is good for something but it aint worth a crap for playing football.

Superdad

1st Team
Sep 17, 2009
Yes, by all means, let's make the poor misunderstood darling run some stairs. That'll teach him! The only stairs he should be running are the ones that lead the off campus. I know a lot of folks say "kids will be kids" which is true, I guess. Let him grow up somewhere else. But, I digress.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Yes, by all means, let's make the poor misunderstood darling run some stairs. That'll teach him! The only stairs he should be running are the ones that lead the off campus. I know a lot of folks say "kids will be kids" which is true, I guess. Let him grow up somewhere else.
So understanding.

Last edited:

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
So is speeding.
There are at least two problems with your moral equivalence on this issue:

(1) You've just conflated a non-criminal offense (speeding is typically a regulatory infraction) with a criminal one (marijuana possession for personal use is a Class A misdemeanor in Alabama). Apples and oranges, your honor.

(2) Like it or not, there is a criminal industry supplying marijuana in places where its possession for personal use is illegal. If you use it in such a place, you're supporting that illegal enterprise and all the unethical (dare I say, evil) people running it. If you can somehow equate that to speeding, you've spent too many evenings in Columbus too close to the toxic fumes from burning couches.

Should you speed? No. Should you use marijuana where it's illegal? No. The similarities, however, end there.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.