TPD: Lester Cotton Arrested Friday Night on Drug Charges

deltatider

1st Team
Nov 29, 2005
Yes, by all means, let's make the poor misunderstood darling run some stairs. That'll teach him! The only stairs he should be running are the ones that lead the off campus. I know a lot of folks say "kids will be kids" which is true, I guess. Let him grow up somewhere else. But, I digress.
Bless your heart...

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Yes, by all means, let's make the poor misunderstood darling run some stairs. That'll teach him! The only stairs he should be running are the ones that lead the off campus. I know a lot of folks say "kids will be kids" which is true, I guess. Let him grow up somewhere else. But, I digress.
Super dad, huh? Your icon seems more accurate than your handle. It would be like...

"Lester, I am your father."
"Nooooooooo....."

Superdad

1st Team
Sep 17, 2009
So understanding.
Sorry, I just don't believe in coddling these guys. I'd be a lot more understanding if he was smoking dope in the privacy of his own home instead of behind the wheel where he could hurt somebody.

Superdad

1st Team
Sep 17, 2009
Super dad, huh? Your icon seems more accurate than your handle. It would be like...

"Lester, I am your father."
"Nooooooooo....."
Well. my kids love me & we get along great. I also teach them that there are consequences when you do something wrong, much less something against the law. Running steps seems like an appropriate punishment for showing up late to a meeting or making a D in Algebra. not for Cotton's noted offense.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Sorry, I just don't believe in coddling these guys. I'd be a lot more understanding if he was smoking dope in the privacy of his own home instead of behind the wheel where he could hurt somebody.

And therein lies the difference. Stay at home, if that is what you are doing to pass the time.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Did I miss where anyone said he was smoking pot in his car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Did I miss where anyone said he was smoking pot in his car?
Nowhere is it noted that he was believed to be under the influence. He was not charged with a DUI, nor is there any suggestion that he even underwent a field sobriety test. Not sure how this is done in Alabama, but they perform a similar test to that which they perform for drinking if they suspect other drug use up here. In a case like this, if you fail the field sobriety test and they smell weed and find it in your car, you get charged with DUI. With a really good lawyer you can beat the charge, but it is hard.

Cotton was driving, the officer smelled weed and found weed when the car was searched. That is all that we know for sure. We do not know that he was driving under the influence or weaving in the road or anything unsafe.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
I have a hard time getting upset over this. I wish it hadn't happened as I think it shows a lack of self discipline, but in the end - just not a big deal.
In and of itself no but how it impacts others is the problems most people have with situations like this. These types of acts are called selfish by CNS because they can have an impact on the team. Until it isn't banned by states and the NCAA then the players should have enough respect for themselves, the university, and most importantly their team to show enough self control to leave the stuff alone. Young folks will be young folks though.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Cotton was driving, the officer smelled weed and found weed when the car was searched. That is all that we know for sure. We do not know that he was driving under the influence or weaving in the road or anything unsafe.
But people can't rush to judgment if they don't assume stuff!

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
In and of itself no but how it impacts others is the problems most people have with situations like this. These types of acts are called selfish by CNS because they can have an impact on the team. Until it isn't banned by states and the NCAA then the players should have enough respect for themselves, the university, and most importantly their team to show enough self control to leave the stuff alone. Young folks will be young folks though.
I get it, I do - but do you think no one under age 21 on the team drinks?

I alluded to this in my post (lack of self discipline), but in the grand scheme, meh...

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
IMHO and for me, that`s the crux of the matter. There`s a certain degree of irresponsibility there if indeed he was driving under the influence ( influence of anything ). And yes, I`ve done it too ( not MJ ) and I was being irresponsible as well. I was just as in the wrong as he was. As much as anything, I hope and believe that that is what Coach Saban will address.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
I don't condone drinking or smoking pot or doing drugs but there are worse things, much worse. Pot has no good usefulness around football. Such a simple thing as forgetting the snap count or forgetting a play can end up causing you to lose a game.

Im_on_dsp

All-SEC
Oct 10, 2007
Canton, GA
Things are different than when I was in college. My son is a D1 athlete (golf) and we've talked about this issue a number of times during his career. He's been drug tested a few times and has always passed but he's told me that at least half of the kids on campus smoke pot at least once a week. He doesn't understand why the athletes are held to a higher standard. He told me that if they kicked all the kids off the football team (at Cincinnati) that smoked weed they wouldn't be able to field a team. I think that's probably true everywhere. While LC did something illegal and should be punished, we can't kick kids off the team for it.

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
Things are different than when I was in college. My son is a D1 athlete (golf) and we've talked about this issue a number of times during his career. He's been drug tested a few times and has always passed but he's told me that at least half of the kids on campus smoke pot at least once a week. He doesn't understand why the athletes are held to a higher standard. He told me that if they kicked all the kids off the football team (at Cincinnati) that smoked weed they wouldn't be able to field a team. I think that's probably true everywhere. While LC did something illegal and should be punished, we can't kick kids off the team for it.
Or, and I'm just spitballing here, do so many kids engage in such behaviors in large part because they know they won't be kicked off the team if caught?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Or, and I'm just spitballing here, do so many kids engage in such behaviors in large part because they know they won't be kicked off the team if caught?
Young people do not think that way. They take risks that adults generally won't even consider. That aside, enforcement as severe as you recommend does not align with Saban's general philosophy of giving players (and coaches) a second chance. As a parent, I don't give up on my kids when they do stupid things. I'm glad that Saban feels the same way.

bamagradinATL

All-American
Sep 12, 2006
McKinney, TX
Nowhere is it noted that he was believed to be under the influence. He was not charged with a DUI, nor is there any suggestion that he even underwent a field sobriety test. Not sure how this is done in Alabama, but they perform a similar test to that which they perform for drinking if they suspect other drug use up here. In a case like this, if you fail the field sobriety test and they smell weed and find it in your car, you get charged with DUI. With a really good lawyer you can beat the charge, but it is hard.

I'm always amazed that an officer can smell such small amounts of weed when they pullover a car.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.