TPD: Lester Cotton Arrested Friday Night on Drug Charges

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Fox 6's Kelvin Reynolds on Twitter:

Tuscaloosa Police say Alabama Offensive lineman Lester Cotton was arrested on a drug charge Friday night.

A TPD Spokeswoman says officers stopped Cotton at 11PM Friday. He was driving a Chevy Tahoe @ the intersection of Hackberry Ln and Bryant Dr

The officer "smelled the odor of marijuana emitting from inside the vehicle."

During a search of the vehicle, a quantity of marijuana and drug paraphernalia were recovered.

Cotton was charged for Poss of Marijuana II and Poss of Drug Paraphernalia, processed and released on bond.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
He was just smoking weed. I don't care about this stuff unless Cotton is the Tuscaloosa Kingpin or something...possession charges, that is just a tool to jam people up in the criminal justice system and grease the wheels with the arrested individual's dollar bills.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I'm not being cynical or anything... I understand we as a fan will post stories about like this, but I hope the thread don't end up like the one with previous players getting arrested ( Cam Robinson, Hootie Jones, etc..)

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
Without getting into a debate on the seriousness of Weed position charges I will just say that Lester Cotton is facing more challenges to seeing the field this year than he had last year, and last year he got beat out by a true freshman and a career backup.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Without getting into a debate on the seriousness of Weed position charges I will just say that Lester Cotton is facing more challenges to seeing the field this year than he had last year, and last year he got beat out by a true freshman and a career backup.
Maybe, Maybe not. He still has a chance to win the job. he struggled at Guard position, and is more fit for a tackle. a full off season might make him lot better at guard. He still have a chance to win the job, but he's going to have to out work rest of them. As far I'm concerned, Ross Pier, Bozeman, William locks up the spot. There is two opening spots... who will win the job?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
As long as this is all it is, could not care less.

Though he should probably stop it.
We don't know what drug para was involved, but I agree if it is all weed related. It is just a part of the culture today, like drinking in my generation. Hard for me to get excited about a weed bust. But Saban is probably more concerned. He has to try to keep so many people moving in the right direction, and things like this can hurt that momentum.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I wonder if what would be of significance to CNS would not be the possession of the weed itself, but the lack of judgment on the part of the individual involved. Using weed while operating a vehicle? Negative reflection on the program? Lack of discipline and commitment? In the case of Mr. Cotton, he`s got work to do to win a starting job next season. CNS may believe that a part of the "process" in getting that done is to exhibit the aforementioned traits and qualities. Just surmising.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I wish the Government would just go ahead legalize it's use..Folks come hell or highwater are going to smoke weed, there's lots of lawful & monetary consequences when folks gets busted, it's going to eventually become legal to smoke & possess one of these days..I just wish they would just go ahead by legalizing it nationally..

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Disappointing. Lack of discipline during the offseason can hurt him. Likely to fall down the charts.
I know some will say that MJ is not a big deal, that everyone is doing it...
BUT...
MARIJUANA IS STILL ILLEGAL IN THE STATE OF ALABAMA.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I wish the Government would just go ahead legalize it's use..Folks come hell or highwater are going to smoke weed, there's lots of lawful & monetary consequences when folks gets busted, it's going to eventually become legal to smoke & possess one of these days..I just wish they would just go ahead by legalizing it nationally..
in my opinion, it's not going to happen, nor should it, until there is a field test that can measure the level of impairment for a driver due to THC ingestion.

That's the bigger issue with all the debate around MJ. Right now there is no test for impairment so whether you think it's not worse than alcohol or not doesn't matter. What matters is that it does cause impairment, and anyone using shouldn't be driving (same as with alcohol) and we have no way to enforce that now.

That's also the biggest issue with Cotton's arrest. He was DRIVING. He was highly likely impaired. Again, my opinion, that makes this a much bigger deal. I'm hoping Saban unleashes the wrath of Cochran on him and imposes significant other measures in community service and counseling to make sure cotton learns from this and understands exactly how bad of a choice he made to get behind the wheel in this situation.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Many drug field tests used by law enforcement today are not considered reliable by academia. Too many false positives or false negatives. We're talking about coin flip success rate when tested in labs.

I should just make a THC usage test and fleece the law enforcement community who loves buying marginal at best new tech for field tests.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.