Link: The biology of political differences.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

The biology of political differences.

I was just watching Star Talk and found this interesting. Conservative brain vs liberal brain.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DKUL32K...ng=UTF8&btkr=1

So, I guess some just cant help themselves

2. Advertisement

Re: The biology of political differences.

Wow! $21.60 even for the Kindle edition...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

BamaNation Hall of Fame cuda.1973's Avatar

Which means it is also probably hereditary. Which explains why my union dues-paying relatives hate their unions and all demonrats.*

(OK, most voted for Kennedy, which only plays into that "the Pope will run the gubbament" ruse.)

* = OK, it was really because they likened both of them to the "black-a hands". AKA, mafia.
    "Alright, there will be no more moaning, in this outfit. The next man who moans is going to be very sorry."
    "Oooooooh............."
    "Who is this man?"
    "Major Danby, sir."
    "Danby. D-A-N-B-Y."

"Take Major Danby out and shoot him."
    "I don't think you can do that, Dad."
    "Why not? And stop calling me 'Dad'."

BamaNation Hall of Fame seebell's Avatar

I liked this part:
    Political disputes typically spring from the assumption that those who do not agree with us are shallow, misguided, uninformed, and ignorant

How could people think that way?

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by seebell View Post
    I liked this part:
    Political disputes typically spring from the assumption that those who do not agree with us are shallow, misguided, uninformed, and ignorant

How could people think that way?
    How deploreable!
    You can't reason a man out of a position he didn't reason himself into.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamaro View Post
    I was just watching Star Talk and found this interesting. Conservative brain vs liberal brain.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DKUL32K...ng=UTF8&btkr=1

So, I guess some just cant help themselves
    Scientifically speaking Conservatives are scared of everything. Did they need a study to prove that?
    "There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist." - Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Scientifically speaking Conservatives are scared of everything. Did they need a study to prove that?
    I'm a conservative and I'm not afraid of anything. I am however fed up with a lot of stuff. I have been told that I have to like a lot of things I don't, but I still don't. I've been banned from clubs with rougher crowds than this bunch of panty waisted protesters I've seen on TV.

Quote Originally Posted by bama_wayne1 View Post
    I'm a conservative and I'm not afraid of anything. I am however fed up with a lot of stuff. I have been told that I have to like a lot of things I don't, but I still don't. I've been banned from clubs with rougher crowds than this bunch of panty waisted protesters I've seen on TV.
    so open up the borders, let the ban end and give up your guns. Since you are afraid of nothing, shouldn't be an issue
    "There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist." - Terry Pratchett

BamaNation Hall of Fame

so open up the borders, let the ban end and give up your guns. Since you are afraid of nothing, shouldn't be an issue
    This makes no sense. He's not afraid of anything because he's got guns and can shoot whatever is threatening him.

Also, conservatism isn't based on fear. It's based on limits. As in, limits the federal government can impose upon the citizenry. I realize this is lost on most that would call themselves conservative today.

BamaNation All-SEC

I'm not so sure about the fear thing being conservative; I know a lot of liberal folks who are scared witless right now. But the part that caught my attention was that conservative leaning people tend to recall negative things and events, whereas liberal leaning people tend to recall positive events. This, if true, would be must more revealing, though it wouldn't prove that either side was correct, but that they should be complementary instead of in conflict. That would be a monumental scientific discovery if true, it would give us a way to cooperate.

Quote Originally Posted by TideEngineer08 View Post
    This makes no sense. He's not afraid of anything because he's got guns and can shoot whatever is threatening him.

Also, conservatism isn't based on fear. It's based on limits. As in, limits the federal government can impose upon the citizenry. I realize this is lost on most that would call themselves conservative today.
    modern conservatism (the past 15-30 years) seems to be primarily based on fear, resentment and the resulting outrage.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they dont have to worry about the answers.

Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    modern conservatism (the past 15-30 years) seems to be primarily based on fear, resentment and the resulting outrage.
    Yes just like modern liberalism, which I would date back much further than 15-30 years, seems to be based primarily on a monstrous government with far reaching control, massive entitlements, and the resulting economic chaos.

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by TideEngineer08 View Post

I assumed from the context that conservative and liberal were being used to describe psychological attitudes to the appropriate pace of change instead of political philosophies per se. Being fearful (or whatever we call it) is associated with "conservative" attitudes, preferring the status quo. So in a society already organized on Communistic lines, the conservatives would want to preserve communism as is, whereas the liberals would probably prefer a change, maybe to freedom in limits. I could be wrong on that, but that's how I took it.