Link: CNN reporting Flynn resignation...

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Did you miss the fact that he IS a confessed criminal? Fined and two years probation? We would have a security chief who's confessed to voluntarily disclosing classified information to his mistress? How long have you been asleep?
Never said I think he SHOULD be the advisor. In fact I was leaning the other way in my response to your post by suggesting the only reason Trump would give him the nod was to be controversial. I would much prefer Harward, and this is coming from a person who served under petraus in OEF. So no I haven't been asleep at all, but it's hard not to wonder why Petraus was crucified and others (far more than the Clintons) had done the exact same things, but just got a slap on the wrist at most for doing it. Maybe it had to do with Ike's warnings during his farewell speech, IDK.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Never said I think he SHOULD be the advisor. In fact I was leaning the other way in my response to your post by suggesting the only reason Trump would give him the nod was to be controversial. I would much prefer Harward, and this is coming from a person who served under petraus in OEF. So no I haven't been asleep at all, but it's hard not to wonder why Petraus was crucified and others (far more than the Clintons) had done the exact same things, but just got a slap on the wrist at most for doing it. Maybe it had to do with Ike's warnings during his farewell speech, IDK.
there were several articles written this past year about the difference in petraeus' and clinton's cases.

here is one of them link

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Never suggested he chose anyone just for being controversial. I don't know where the hell you got that. However, now you mention it, I do think it's a factor in his deranged selections...

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Never suggested he chose anyone just for being controversial. I don't know where the hell you got that. However, now you mention it, I do think it's a factor in his deranged selections...
Touching Petraus for a top advisory position is just wanting to add controversy. I think if he wants to have the best he should have someone that isnt well known, but is very capable. I still think Harward is the only choice unless you want a former under SECDEF like general cartwright or general Don Bacon (currently US rep from Nebraska).

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
So Flynn resigned. We know that Sally Yates warned Trump over a month ago that Flynn may have been compromised. In the context of everything else we know about Trump's ties to Russia, why was that warning dismissed, and did it play into her firing in any way? When did Trump and his top staff first know about Flynn's involvement with Russia? Would he still be on staff if this hadn't been made public?
Sean Spicer just said Trump knew about this 17 days ago.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
Sean Spicer just said Trump knew about this 17 days ago.
Yes he would still be on staff if it hadn't been made public. Tillerson is on staff, and the Russians are already saying that they have pivoted to dealing with him as he is the face of the administration in Russia now. Odds are the Russians knew about all this going on long before the public did, well thats actually guaranteed since they were the ones on the call. I would be surprised if some of the embassy staff weren't telling Flynn to "Ixnay on the iplomicyday before inauguration ayday"

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Yes he would still be on staff if it hadn't been made public. Tillerson is on staff, and the Russians are already saying that they have pivoted to dealing with him as he is the face of the administration in Russia now. Odds are the Russians knew about all this going on long before the public did, well thats actually guaranteed since they were the ones on the call. I would be surprised if some of the embassy staff weren't telling Flynn to "Ixnay on the iplomicyday before inauguration ayday"
of course he would be, Trump knew for over a month that (which = 17 days to this whitehouse, just like Trump Towers 58 floors is 68 in the cheetos mind) Flynn was lying. Hell I have no doubt at all the Trump ordered Flynn to have the conversation so "when" is a moot point anyway. If we can get 11 hours on congressional hearings on Bengazi this entire issue deserves that at minimum. By entire issue I mean all the Russian ties to Trump and that includes his tax returns to see where he is tied to them financially

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/14/...administration-michael-flynn-resignation.html

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
of course he would be, Trump knew for over a month that (which = 17 days to this whitehouse, just like Trump Towers 58 floors is 68 in the cheetos mind) Flynn was lying. Hell I have no doubt at all the Trump ordered Flynn to have the conversation so "when" is a moot point anyway. If we can get 11 hours on congressional hearings on Bengazi this entire issue deserves that at minimum. By entire issue I mean all the Russian ties to Trump and that includes his tax returns to see where he is tied to them financially

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/14/...administration-michael-flynn-resignation.html
it was a lot more than 11 hours. the 11-hours was just clinton's testimony in one of the hearings

after a more than two-year investigation, encompassing 33 hearings held in congressional investigations and four public hearings, at an estimated cost of $7 million and counting,

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Flynn got paid for his speech to RT (Russian TV). That's illegal! Lock him up!

http://www.dod.mil/dodgc/defense_ethics/resource_library/summary_emoluments_clause_restrictions.pdf

As interpreted in Comptroller General opinions and by the Department of Justice Office of Legal Counsel, the Emoluments Clause prohibits receipt of consulting fees, gifts, travel expenses, honoraria, or salary by all retired military personnel, officer and enlisted, Regular and Reserve, from a foreign government unless Congressional consent is first obtained. Consent is provided by Congress in 37 U.S.C. § 908, which requires advance approval from the relevant Service Secretary and the Secretary of State before accepting employment, consulting fees, gifts, travel expenses, honoraria or salary from a foreign government. Employment compensation from foreign educational or commercial institutions that are owned, operated, or controlled by a foreign government generally qualifies as an emolument because such entities are viewed as an extension of the foreign government.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...oday-is-just-like-cnn/?utm_term=.453e5cd78248

FLYNN: I was asked by my speaker’s bureau, LAI. I do public speaking. It was in Russia. It was a paid speaking opportunity. I get paid so much. The speaker’s bureau got paid so much, based on our contract.

Assuming he didn't get prior permission. There is the smoking gun. Congress needs to act.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
you know I think I should add that I love that Lying to Mike Pence gets you asked to resign while lying to the American People gets you pats on the back from Trump on Twitter

that bother anyone else?

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
you know I think I should add that I love that Lying to Mike Pence gets you asked to resign while lying to the American People gets you pats on the back from Trump on Twitter

that bother anyone else?
I haven't kept up with the details of this story, but if the Flynn conversations at issue took place after November 8, then I really don't care. I also don't care whether or not the situation is investigated further.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Sorry to derail things earlier.

Interesting take on all this from Eli Lake, a reporter well connected in the intelligence community. Note well that he is not defending Flynn or Trump and certainly not Russia, but noting that those issues are perhaps not as front and center as originally thought.

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2017-02-14/the-political-assassination-of-michael-flynn
Leaks are now bad, got it

getting hard to keep up with y'all on all of this

but I agree this needs to be investigated as does how the Russians and their hacking crews affected this election.

I will be shocked if we see both

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Leaks are now bad, got it

getting hard to keep up with y'all on all of this

but I agree this needs to be investigated as does how the Russians and their hacking crews affected this election.

I will be shocked if we see both

Not sure who the "y'all" is that you're referring to - I never defended anyone leaking things. Certainly not Trump.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Not sure who the "y'all" is that you're referring to - I never defended anyone leaking things. Certainly not Trump.
y'all = all of you on the right that ate up Wikileaks for months prior to the election as if it was the greatest thing ever. If I mistakenly put you in bucket in which you do not belong I apologize.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
y'all = all of you on the right that ate up Wikileaks for months prior to the election as if it was the greatest thing ever. If I mistakenly put you in bucket in which you do not belong I apologize.
Apology accepted - though I might encourage you to expand your reading of "the right." Lot of thoughtful conservatives out there of various stripes, and many of them refusing to carry water for Trump, or to defend things in a very qualified manner.

It's V-Day - y'all go cook for your girl, or cautiously drown your sorrows. We can all watch Casablanca, in any case.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.