WP: Computer Programmer Solved Gerrymandering - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 27 to 36 of 36
  1. #27
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
    Posts
    5,197

    Re: WP: Computer Programmer Solved Gerrymandering

    Quote Originally Posted by NationalTitles16 View Post
    Until you remove the politicians gerrymandering will always be an issue.No mere computer program can solve that aspect.
    As long as the politicians don't have access to the code wouldn't the computer program eliminate gerrymandering by definition?

  2. Advertisement
  3. #28
    BamaNation Hall of Fame NationalTitles16's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Mountainous Northern California
    Posts
    7,324

    Re: WP: Computer Programmer Solved Gerrymandering

    Quote Originally Posted by day-day View Post
    As long as the politicians don't have access to the code wouldn't the computer program eliminate gerrymandering by definition?

    This isn't Obamacare - they aren't going to wait to pass it to see what's in it. The state legislatures won't be playing that game.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

  4. #29
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Tide1986's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Posts
    15,049

    Re: WP: Computer Programmer Solved Gerrymandering

    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaro View Post
    The only purpose should be to have similar population numbers in each. That is what a computer program could easily deliver.
    Representatives shouldn't be representative? Nevertheless, even a computer will produce gerrymandering, especiallly if the districting process has any basis in geography.
    The Concord Blue Devils, 18-Time World Champions: 2017, 2015, 2014 (99.65), 2012, 2010, 2009, 2007, 2003, 1999, 1997, 1996, 1994, 1986, 1982, 1980, 1979, 1977, & 1976. Enriching the lives of young people through a commitment to youth development and performance excellence.

    “The discovery of a wine is of greater moment than the discovery of a constellation. The universe is too full of stars.” ― Benjamin Franklin

  5. #30
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Bamaro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Jacksonville, Md USA
    Posts
    19,150

    Re: WP: Computer Programmer Solved Gerrymandering

    Quote Originally Posted by Tide1986 View Post
    Representatives shouldn't be representative? Nevertheless, even a computer will produce gerrymandering, especiallly if the districting process has any basis in geography.
    Nope. Just look at the NC example.

  6. #31
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Tide1986's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Posts
    15,049

    Re: WP: Computer Programmer Solved Gerrymandering

    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaro View Post
    Nope. Just look at the NC example.
    Polygons = no gerrymandering? Gotcha.

  7. #32
    BamaNation All-SEC
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    1,607

    Re: WP: Computer Programmer Solved Gerrymandering

    Quote Originally Posted by Tide1986 View Post
    Representatives shouldn't be representative? Nevertheless, even a computer will produce gerrymandering, especiallly if the districting process has any basis in geography.
    How is any elected official, that is elected by the constituents of a district, not representative of their beliefs? Isn't that one of the core principles of democracy? The majority of votes selects the winner? If someone is running in a district and its half black, half white, you aren't going to get a win by David Dukes or a win by Al Sharpton. Anyone that wins the district will have to moderate their beliefs so that they get the majority of votes, at which point, they will be represent the wishes of the majority of voters in that district.

    So I guess I am at a loss here for your argument. Are you trying to say that a district's representative should represent something greater than just 51%? Is there some threshold that you expect? 70%? 80%? 90%? Because thats all gerrymandering does. It increases the percentage of shared views amongst constituents for a given district represented by that representative.

  8. #33

    Re: WP: Computer Programmer Solved Gerrymandering

    Quote Originally Posted by chanson78 View Post
    How is any elected official, that is elected by the constituents of a district, not representative of their beliefs? Isn't that one of the core principles of democracy? The majority of votes selects the winner? If someone is running in a district and its half black, half white, you aren't going to get a win by David Dukes or a win by Al Sharpton. Anyone that wins the district will have to moderate their beliefs so that they get the majority of votes, at which point, they will be represent the wishes of the majority of voters in that district.

    So I guess I am at a loss here for your argument. Are you trying to say that a district's representative should represent something greater than just 51%? Is there some threshold that you expect? 70%? 80%? 90%? Because thats all gerrymandering does. It increases the percentage of shared views amongst constituents for a given district represented by that representative.
    Sometimes they just modify there rhetoric. (like every politician in my lifetime(but I'm not even 60 yet))

  9. #34
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Tidewater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Hooterville, Vir.
    Posts
    13,530

    Re: WP: Computer Programmer Solved Gerrymandering

    Quote Originally Posted by Tide1986 View Post
    Polygons = no gerrymandering? Gotcha.
    I think this is what he meant.

  10. #35
    BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    14,969

    Re: WP: Computer Programmer Solved Gerrymandering

    Quote Originally Posted by Aledinho View Post
    Now you know why you won't be receiving a Valentine's card from Maine and Nebraska.
    You're right, I didn't...

    The first rule of Tidefans interactions - Selma does not use Google; Google uses Selma

  11. #36
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Bamaro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Jacksonville, Md USA
    Posts
    19,150

    Re: WP: Computer Programmer Solved Gerrymandering

    Quote Originally Posted by Tide1986 View Post
    Polygons = no gerrymandering? Gotcha.
    What else would it be?

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

 

TideFansStore.com: Get YOUR gear!