Possible 2017-2018 Season Lineup

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Read some comments from 247's Jerry Meyer about Collin Sexton yesterday. He said things change but he expects Colin to be a one-and-done, so we need to enjoy him in Tuscaloosa while we can.

Jerry was also asked about a possible lineup of having Sexton, Ingram, Petty, and Key on the floor together. In this group, Key plays the 4. The assumption would be either Giddens or Hall plays the 5. I'm not sure if Avery would want to make that the starting lineup, but it would allow him the speed to go fast like he's wanted. If not the prominent 5 on the court, it would at least be a very good change of pace group to get the offense going. And if Braxton gets in foul trouble, Riley can play the 4 if needed.

Avery did comment within the last few weeks he would like to have Giddens and Hall on the court together next season.

Don't want to look too far ahead to next season. Just something I started thinking about after reading Meyer's comments. Simply a prime example of what Avery is going to have to use as he continues to recruit better talent to UA.

Last edited:

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Catch-22 on Sexton. I want him to be good enough to be one-and-done but don't want him leaving after only one season. Don't know if he will be physically ready for the NBA at that point.

The lineup of Sexton, Ingram, Petty and Key along with a 5 seems similar to some of the lineups we have seen this season on occasion except maybe for the youth part of it.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Catch-22 on Sexton. I want him to be good enough to be one-and-done but don't want him leaving after only one season. Don't know if he will be physically ready for the NBA at that point.

The lineup of Sexton, Ingram, Petty and Key along with a 5 seems similar to some of the lineups we have seen this season on occasion except maybe for the youth part of it.
And the overall talent level. We've gone smaller at times by having a combination of Braxton, AJ, Ingram, Riley, and Corban on the floor together IIRC. The issue with that group is the talent level not being the same as having Sexton and Petty out there.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
...not sure if Avery would want to make that the starting lineup, but it would allow him the speed to go fast like he's wanted.
Didn't read the story, but what interests me is seeing if Avery - with a recruiting selling point of having been in the NBA and now of putting his players there - can successfully populate 'Bama's roster top to bottom to resemble an NBA team. I don't mean in talent, but in terms of how they play and their expected roles all the way down to the 12th man.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Ingram needs to definitely improve his shooting if he wants to play a lot at the two.
I think Ingram needs to shoot more. He has the best field goal percentage on the team other than the big guys in the paint and the best 3-point percentage (FG: .517; 3PT: .464). His free throw shooting baffles me (.633); a ball-handling guard with his skill usually shoots FT better. I think his percentage late in games is better than early in games.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
i'd like to see Sexton, Ingram, Norris, Key, Giddens with Petty 1st off the bench with starter minutes. He should be able to go SG or SF...I really only say leave Norris in the starting lineup because with the attention and penetration ability of Sexton he'd have a lot of open 3's which is what he's able to make. I am hoping Sexton is 1 and done. Thats attractive for recruiting future top 10 players. If he had to stay here a 2nd year as such a highly rated player, thats not a good look as far as some of the top recruits are concerned.

Philippines

Scout Team
Feb 9, 2014
Birmingham, AL
i'd like to see Sexton, Ingram, Norris, Key, Giddens with Petty 1st off the bench with starter minutes. He should be able to go SG or SF...I really only say leave Norris in the starting lineup because with the attention and penetration ability of Sexton he'd have a lot of open 3's which is what he's able to make. I am hoping Sexton is 1 and done. Thats attractive for recruiting future top 10 players. If he had to stay here a 2nd year as such a highly rated player, thats not a good look as far as some of the top recruits are concerned.
Good points on the lineup, but Norris needs to step up on his shooting. In 2015-2016 he was .375 on 3's. This season he is .313. Not a good trend, but I love his effort and hustle.

Last edited:

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Good point. I hadn't looked at it this way. Getting players to the NBA should be attractive to top recruits so the sooner this happens the quicker it can impact recruiting. I can't help but think what the team could be like in Sexton's sophomore year with Ingram and Key improved as juniors along with the other sophomores and freshmen at the time.

Does anyone have a feel for what to expect from Giddens?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Since we're somewhat discussing this in another thread, figured I would bump it for more discussion now the season is over.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Since we're somewhat discussing this in another thread, figured I would bump it for more discussion now the season is over.
Dang it; I just posted in the other thread but I'll repeat here:

There were times this season when Taylor and Hall were on the floor at the same time and it was very effective. It depends on the match-ups; I'd like to see Giddens and Hall on the floor at the same time as well. Will Reese or Smith be able to provide quality minutes or does CAJ need to find another big to fit in the rotation for next season?

Sexton may be more natural at the point because of his size but I don't know what his experience is in bringing the ball up the court and passing nor what his ball-handling skills are. I've seen him listed as a point guard and as a shooting guard. I think he has built his reputation as a shooter and scorer.

Ingram has a better shooting percentage than any other player on the team except for the bigs and has the best 3-point percentage other than Shaffer's 4-8. Ingram needs to get in his head that he should shoot when open and try to score more often; he is an ideal 2-guard. He has good size and CAJ has posted him up this season when he was defended by a small guard.

It probably doesn't make too much difference from the 1, 2 and 3 positions once the team is set up for half-court offense.

One additional comment and question. Davis does not have a particular good shooting percentage but every time I see the ball leave his hand on a shot I think it is going in; something about his stroke and release whether in the paint or behind the 3-point line. Is there much chance that he will improve going from his jr to sr year? I think a number of JUCO's have made a significant jump from their first year to their 2nd year at D-1.

carder24

All-American
Sep 1, 2007
Huntsville, AL
Didn't read the story, but what interests me is seeing if Avery - with a recruiting selling point of having been in the NBA and now of putting his players there - can successfully populate 'Bama's roster top to bottom to resemble an NBA team. I don't mean in talent, but in terms of how they play and their expected roles all the way down to the 12th man.
I was curious about this too, seeing how he rotated and relatively deep starting early on this season;thought this may have been beyond just depth and finding "the combination", but combinations built toward roles as you mentioned, and prepare for upcoming match-ups.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Maybe it is my limited viewing of this years' team . . . I have a hard time seeing Ingram as a main ball handler and distributor. Maybe better as a point forward type role.
There was a stretch early in the season when I commented that Ingram was the best passer to come in since Enis Whatley. I don't know what happened after that. Maybe one too many turnovers turned off the switch or maybe the tighter defenses messed up the spacing and movement of team mates. There are times when a good passer can't make passes because of improper movement or spacing by others.

It will be interesting to see how much the new players fit in as "shooters" and where that puts Ingram in the offense.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I'm just hoping that Avery can somehow convince Collin to stay two years. I've stated many times that he's the best player we've ever signed(In My Opinion), but he's not a big guy so he may be late first round after one year. If he plays two and really shows his stuff he could be near the top. But then again he could get hurt. Catch 22, but I'm thrilled to have him. He's beyond incredible.
No social media accounts because it takes away from his focus on basketball and school. You kiddin me? I love him to death already.

BigBama

All-SEC
Oct 13, 1999
2017/18 Starting Lineup

Any guesses as to what next years staring lineup will be? I think most people assume Sexton is too good to sit so he's at PG but what about Petty? Does anybody expect him to start over Ingram? If not will be the sixth man with a ton of minutes off the bench? Does Giddens start?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.