vandy no longer having Spring game

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I realize Arizona and Illinois would have sucked anyway but both did not have a traditional Spring game. Rich Rod decided to let his players play with the fans and the new Illinois HC decided he didn't have time to get to know the players. To each his own and I guess if you are an Arizona, Illinois (or Vandy) fan it doesn't matter much anyway.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Can someone explain to me why putting the O against the D in the Spring game is not as good as a practice session. I don't understand that -- unless by practice you mean putting the O against the D, which would be a spring game without the fans, IMO. I can't grasp that blocking tackling dummies is better than blocking an actual player.
Because this isn't really what you are doing. The game is not played with normal rules because the threat of injuring a player is too high - risk/reward. You run very vanilla plays against defenses that make no adjustments and only have to touch the QB to register a sack. Not sure about Alabama, but most schools don't blitz or tackle fully, either. It is not your offense playing your defense if both have their hands tied behind their backs - it is a show for the fans.

If the spring game were run more like your other spring scrimmages the coaches could learn a lot more about the players. Those scrimmages are not played like a game. The players run specific plays in specific game scenarios. They are designed to put the offense and defenses in tough spots and test how well they players understand their roles. The coaches are able to break down that film and take it back out to the field, correcting mistakes. Coaches are also better able to evaluate players.

PDL

All-SEC
Oct 16, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I suspect a lot of coaches, including Saban, would be fine ditching the game as it is mostly a glorified Fan Day.
I disagree. Every year, Saban always makes a point to encourage a big attendance for the Spring Game. He uses it as a way to simulate a real game day experience for the players. Even if the play calls are vanilla, he still wants to see them play hard in a simulated game environment to see how they respond. You don't get that with a closed scrimmage. And the players always talk about how excited they are as the game approaches. Saban uses A Day to his full advantage. He even mentioned the 2007 A Day game as a moment when he realized Alabama was a special place.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I disagree. Every year, Saban always makes a point to encourage a big attendance for the Spring Game. He uses it as a way to simulate a real game day experience for the players. Even if the play calls are vanilla, he still wants to see them play hard in a simulated game environment to see how they respond. You don't get that with a closed scrimmage. And the players always talk about how excited they are as the game approaches. Saban uses A Day to his full advantage. He even mentioned the 2007 A Day game as a moment when he realized Alabama was a special place.
Well.. actually, if he had it his way.. He wouldn't have Spring game.

theBIGyowski

All-American
Aug 4, 2005
Cumming, GA
Don't we bring in recruits for the weekend too? For that reason alone, I think the coaching staff loves having a big spring game with all of the fanfare.

Another big reason to keep the spring game is that it is a big economic boost in the spring for the city of Tuscaloosa. People tend to spend more money because they aren't shelling out hundreds of dollars just to get in the stadium. All of the places like gas stations, restaurants, and retail get a nice boost during a relatively low point in the year. I remember back when I was younger and all you could get was bottled water at the game. Now they have the concessions open as well, which has to bring in more revenue for those vendors.

I know it's not all about money...but I do know that businesses in Tuscaloosa look forward to mid April every year because of our glorified practice.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
We all have our opinion. I think the Spring Game being a "wash" as far as coaching them up goes is over hyped just like a 6-6 team in a bowl game is supposed to give the freshmen 12 more practices and really give them a leg up for next year. Each year I look at the team in bowls and see many of them suck next year ..... they did NOT get that benefit from those extra practices. Now I am supposed to believe that 14 practices and 1 A Day is worse than 15 practices. C'mon, missing one practice for ADay can't be too bad, it is less than 10% of practices. Also, you have a stadium near capacity cheering which you do not have in practice and that should be a small benefit.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.