Question: What Does A Trump Impeachment Look Like? - Page 5
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

Re: What Does A Trump Impeachment Look Like?

Quote Originally Posted by danb View Post
    I totally agree, perjury is perjury...My point with that statement was that I don't feel that his infidelities, warranted tax dollars to be spent on an impeachment trial
    True, but...it only happened because he lied in the first place. Well.....what peeled the scab off of that wound was the press NOT doing it's job investigating Whitewater while he was a candidate. It was known once Jerry Brown brought it up in the NY primary debate in 1992. The NY Times took his word because they wanted him to win. Pardon my cynicism but they would have turned hell inside out to thoroughly investigate a Republican. Two other things messed with Clinton: 1) the Democrats had a public sham investigation in 1994 that caught the public's attention just enough; 2) the Republicans won both houses of Congress after the independent counsel statute had been extended another ten years (I believe that's how long it was).

Should it have been investigated? Well, there WAS a crime in Whitewater because the sitting governor of Arkansas who succeeded Clinton (Jim Guy Tucker) went to the slammer over it. I don't think the press should automatically take ANY candidate's word, either. But that was an outcome of circumstance. I recall one (unsourced) Republican being asked about the IC law and basically saying that as an American it was a terrible law and a sick joke - but that as a partisan Republican that the Democrats who had sent IC after IC on wild goose chase after wild goose chase during the Reagan years, they were going to give the Dems a dose of their own medicine, too.

So in short, I actually agree that it shouldn't have been investigated. But knowing the IC was waiting to come down on him like a cat on a mouse, he should have been cleaner, too.

(And Paula Jones had an agenda of her own i'm sure)
    All she asked for to start with was an apology - and that only because David Brock (then a right-wing liar and now a left-wing liar) had left her first name in "The American Spectator" report on Clinton's peccadilloes in Arky.

That was it. And when Carville retored that if you dragged dollars bills through a trailer park you'd get all kinds of trash coming out saying things - well, she had a choice: a) back down like a little mouse and have everyone think she was lying; b) sue his behind.

She did the latter. Part of me can feel a bit of empathy for her because she got dragged into the whole thing first by Brock (and the right) and then got blasted by the left.

I am far from a Clinton apologist, as I am far from a Trump apologist, if substantive evidence is given to bring to trial wrongdoing by the POTUS then by all means go to proceedings....but all the innuendo circulating, without backing, now....makes me SMH at all these folks spreading doom and gloom based on mostly opinion...
    Well just remember.....switch the uniforms and all of a sudden the rhetoric switches.

I sat and watched the Clinton apologists argue that even if Clinton HAD committed crimes before he was President, it was wrong to try and right - that 'he could not be prosecuted for things he did before he became President' was a mantra. Of course, that gets dropped now because Trump has an R next to his name. Besides, Spiro Agnew resigned the VP over a kickback scandal when he was - wait for it - GOVERNOR of Maryland. Apparently, those rules don't work in the other direction.

To be fair, I thought that unless they had evidence of murder (which several Vince Foster investigations and one Ron Brown investigation showed the Clinton Killer Corps), just about anything else should have to wait until he's no longer President. It's too easy for someone to trump up a charge protected by immunity in the Senate (a la Joe McCarthy or Arlen Specter) and use it to stall a President you don't like.

Impeachment has become a political tool to disrupt the winner of the election, and I don't think that's right or was the intent.
    The first rule of Tidefans interactions - Selma does not use Google; Google uses Selma

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame jthomas666's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CajunCrimson View Post
    Fify.

Oh, so Obama needed to pimp his book to get his ideas out there. 99% of the media trumpeting his ideology wasn't enough. He wrote the book because he was a Patriot, not because he was trying to make millions about his life as a young pot smoker.

But he would be proud of your blinding loyalty.
    I see you're staying on the ad hominem bandwagon. To be expected.
    I may disagree with you, but I'm pretty sure you're not Hitler.

Football, Basketball Moderator NationalTitles16's Avatar

Bottom line: Short of Trump murdering a host of American born citizen innocents on live television he will never be impeached.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

BamaNation Hall of Fame jthomas666's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    I seriously doubt Nixon would be impeached TODAY. 40-plus years ago, yes - not today, though.
    The things that got Nixon impeached, such as the Dirty Tricks squad, were shocking at the time, but are considered par for the course now.
    I may disagree with you, but I'm pretty sure you're not Hitler.

Quote Originally Posted by Aledinho View Post
    Straightforward from here:
    1. Impeach Trump & Pence
    2. Constitutional crisis
    3. Call special election
    4. Ryan v Clinton
    5. President Clinton
    I had never heard of Sally Kohn before. So I looked her up and to my surprise, she is a lawyer. Who should probably have taken a class on the constitution and should know there is no mechanism in place for a special election. And unless they had a joint impeachment for both Trump and Pence, there would not be a double vacancy since Pence would appoint a new VP, pending approval by Congress.

So my conclusion is either that she is an idiot or a troll. And she seems to be too tall to be a troll.

Quote Originally Posted by jthomas666 View Post
    I see you're staying on the ad hominem bandwagon. To be expected.
    there weren't any seats left on the clinton grievance train
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tidewater's Avatar

I used to have this quaint notion that a president should be held to a high ethical standard, and if he (or she) should fail to meet that standard, impeachment was the path to correct the voters' mistake.
    I felt that the Senate can impeach and the House remove for any conduct they find unacceptable. Then they would have to face the voters...

I do not think that the Senators should be able to slander anybody from the Senate floor. Before the ratification of the XVII Amendment and CSPAN, Senators were probably more circumspect and they definitely had no reason to play to their parties bases.

That said perjury and witness tampering are felony offenses and are sufficient cause to impeach and remove.
    Challenge your preconceptions, or they will surely challenge you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tidewater View Post
    I felt that the Senate can impeach and the House remove for any conduct they find unacceptable. Then they would have to face the voters...
    Oh, sweet summer child. In 2017, you see, angry constituents at House reps' town halls are merely paid protesters shipped in from out of state by some Soros-run human freight service and are to be disregarded. Or, they're supporters who voted for the other party and thus are not worthy of representation. In this way, all disheartened voters can be safely ignored. Actually, we may as well lock the doors to representative's offices and cancel any town halls, since answering to voters is so clearly a waste of time.

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by CharminTide View Post
    Oh, sweet summer child. In 2017, you see, angry constituents at House reps' town halls are merely paid protesters shipped in from out of state by some Soros-run human freight service and are to be disregarded. Or, they're supporters who voted for the other party and thus are not worthy of representation. In this way, all disheartened voters can be safely ignored. Actually, we may as well lock the doors to representative's offices and cancel any town halls, since answering to voters is so clearly a waste of time.
    You jest, but when I called and emailed Sessions regarding SOPA I got a form email response that essentially told me I didn't understand the issue enough to have my input considered and he was voting for it anyways.

Hey

I plan on going to the Science March and the Tax March, know where I can get paid for it? I mean I keep hearing about paid protesting and since I'm going anyway....
    "There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist." - Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by chanson78 View Post
    You jest, but when I called and emailed Sessions regarding SOPA I got a form email response that essentially told me I didn't understand the issue enough to have my input considered and he was voting for it anyways.
    Did that admonishment include a patronizing pat on the head?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Hey

I plan on going to the Science March and the Tax March, know where I can get paid for it? I mean I keep hearing about paid protesting and since I'm going anyway....
    I'm not sure, but I'd ask Chaffetz. He seems to know a lot about this paid protester thing.

I'm not sure, but I'd ask Chaffetz. He seems to know a lot about this paid protester thing.
    Yes, I think if that were the case and Chaffetz had hard evidence someone was paying protestors he would be showing proof. Now if they are drawing unemployment in Alabama, they could technically be guilty of fraud since you must be available to work in order to draw. Event that is a stretch. I think it's fine to protest as long as it's done in a legal manner. With Trump's apparently thin skin, I would assume he would rent the venue with personal money so that he could enact some kind of event crowd control.