Question: What Does A Trump Impeachment Look Like?

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I've seen this talked about more in recent days.

I wanted to pose what is, at this point, still a hypothetical question.

"What does a Trump impeachment look like?"

In your best estimation, if it is possible for Trump to be impeached, what hypothetical infraction ultimately pushes him over the edge and how does the process play itself out in a Republican held congress?

Last edited:

GreatMarch

All-SEC
Dec 10, 2010
Birmingham, AL
I've seen this talked about more in recent days.

I wanted to pose what is, at this point, still a hypothetical question.

"What does a Trump impeachment look like?"

In your best estimation, if it is possible for Trump to be impeached, what hypothetical infraction ultimately pushes him over the edge and how does the process play itself out in a Republican held congress?
Nonexistent

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
What infractions has he committed?
Not clear yet but there are possibilities there and more may be revealed in the near future.

He has definitely not separated his family businesses from his presidency and if anything has openly and smugly mocked that.

It's hard to imagine that Flynn was lone wolfing his phone call.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
This was discussed in another thread.

So far, there's nothing to indicate he broke the law. Incompetence isn't impeachable.

Even if there were evidence of impeachable offenses, you'd have to get 218 members of the HoR to agree. And that's just to bring charges.

If the charges were brought, you'd then have to get 67 senators to vote to remove him from office.

Based on what's public right now, the chances of all that happening are roughly zero.

It would take revelations of some nasty, new, verifiable information coming out to make it even a possibility.

I'm not saying that won't happen. I'm saying there's just not enough. Yet.

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
Not clear yet but there are possibilities there and more may be revealed in the near future.

He has definitely not separated his family businesses from his presidency and if anything has openly and smugly mocked that.

It's hard to imagine that Flynn was lone wolfing his phone call.

Just as I've heard about some others "If they had evidence of any of that he would already be charged. Conjecture won't do it.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Just as I've heard about some others "If they had evidence of any of that he would already be charged. Conjecture won't do it.
It's not conjecture that he has used the Presidency to push his and his family's business interests.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
It's not conjecture that he has used the Presidency to push his and his family's business interests.
Is that treasonous or bribery? Unethical maybe, but does it fall under the terms of an impeachable offense?

Seriously? Did the Clintons not use the "Foundation" as a pay for play scheme?

Neither or right by any stretch of the imagination. If anything, Ivanka's taken a hit since Donald got elected.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
The specific statute should be covered by CFR 2635.702 - Use of public office for private gain.

I don't know what this qualifies though, is it just a misdemeanor? Has he actually done this? I know the emoluments clause was one thing they were trying to get him on, but Kellyanne has already been referred for sanction by the ethics office for her Ivanka plug, and it wouldn't be hard to say that Trump was mixed up in that in some way as well. Granted he is the president, Sessions is the AG, so who is actually going to prosecute him? If there is no one willing to prosecute him of a crime then half of the entire reason for impeachment is gone.

Any thought of impeachment is far too early, and frankly just makes the Democrats look like they are throwing a hissyfit. This is going to require the long game, with tons of stamina. Now I could entirely be wrong, I never in a million years thought there were enough rubes to vote for this dude in the first place.

CFR 2635.702 said:
2635.702 Use of public office for private gain.
An employee shall not use his public office for his own private gain, for the endorsement of any product, service or enterprise, or for the private gain of friends, relatives, or persons with whom the employee is affiliated in a nongovernmental capacity, including nonprofit organizations of which the employee is an officer or member, and persons with whom the employee has or seeks employment or business relations. The specific prohibitions set forth in paragraphs (a) through (d) of this section apply this general standard, but are not intended to be exclusive or to limit the application of this section.

(a)Inducement or coercion of benefits. An employee shall not use or permit the use of his Government position or title or any authority associated with his public office in a manner that is intended to coerce or induce another person, including a subordinate, to provide any benefit, financial or otherwise, to himself or to friends, relatives, or persons with whom the employee is affiliated in a nongovernmental capacity.

Example 1:
Offering to pursue a relative's consumer complaint over a household appliance, an employee of the Securities and Exchange Commission called the general counsel of the manufacturer and, in the course of discussing the problem, stated that he worked at the SEC and was responsible for reviewing the company's filings. The employee violated the prohibition against use of public office for private gain by invoking his official authority in an attempt to influence action to benefit his relative.
Example 2:
An employee of the Department of Commerce was asked by a friend to determine why his firm's export license had not yet been granted by another office within the Department of Commerce. At a department-level staff meeting, the employee raised as a matter for official inquiry the delay in approval of the particular license and asked that the particular license be expedited. The official used her public office in an attempt to benefit her friend and, in acting as her friend's agent for the purpose of pursuing the export license with the Department of Commerce, may also have violated 18 U.S.C. 205.
(b)Appearance of governmental sanction. Except as otherwise provided in this part, an employee shall not use or permit the use of his Government position or title or any authority associated with his public office in a manner that could reasonably be construed to imply that his agency or the Government sanctions or endorses his personal activities or those of another. When teaching, speaking, or writing in a personal capacity, he may refer to his official title or position only as permitted by § 2635.807(b). He may sign a letter of recommendation using his official title only in response to a request for an employment recommendation or character reference based upon personal knowledge of the ability or character of an individual with whom he has dealt in the course of Federal employment or whom he is recommending for Federal employment.

Example 1:
An employee of the Department of the Treasury who is asked to provide a letter of recommendation for a former subordinate on his staff may provide the recommendation using official stationery and may sign the letter using his official title. If, however, the request is for the recommendation of a personal friend with whom he has not dealt in the Government, the employee should not use official stationery or sign the letter of recommendation using his official title, unless the recommendation is for Federal employment. In writing the letter of recommendation for his personal friend, it may be appropriate for the employee to refer to his official position in the body of the letter.
(c)Endorsements. An employee shall not use or permit the use of his Government position or title or any authority associated with his public office to endorse any product, service or enterprise except:

(1) In furtherance of statutory authority to promote products, services or enterprises; or

(2) As a result of documentation of compliance with agency requirements or standards or as the result of recognition for achievement given under an agency program of recognition for accomplishment in support of the agency's mission.

Example 1:
A Commissioner of the Consumer Product Safety Commission may not appear in a television commercial in which she endorses an electrical appliance produced by her former employer, stating that it has been found by the CPSC to be safe for residential use.
Example 2:
A Foreign Commercial Service officer from the Department of Commerce is asked by a United States telecommunications company to meet with representatives of the Government of Spain, which is in the process of procuring telecommunications services and equipment. The company is bidding against five European companies and the statutory mission of the Department of Commerce includes assisting the export activities of U.S. companies. As part of his official duties, the Foreign Commercial Service officer may meet with Spanish officials and explain the advantages of procurement from the United States company.
Example 3:
The Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency may sign a letter to an oil company indicating that its refining operations are in compliance with Federal air quality standards even though he knows that the company has routinely displayed letters of this type in television commercials portraying it as a “trustee of the environment for future generations.”
Example 4:
An Assistant Attorney General may not use his official title or refer to his Government position in a book jacket endorsement of a novel about organized crime written by an author whose work he admires. Nor may he do so in a book review published in a newspaper.
(d)Performance of official duties affecting a private interest. To ensure that the performance of his official duties does not give rise to an appearance of use of public office for private gain or of giving preferential treatment, an employee whose duties would affect the financial interests of a friend, relative or person with whom he is affiliated in a nongovernmental capacity shall comply with any applicable requirements of § 2635.502.

(e)Use of terms of address and ranks. Nothing in this section prohibits an employee who is ordinarily addressed using a general term of address, such as “The Honorable”, or a rank, such as a military or ambassadorial rank, from using that term of address or rank in connection with a personal activity.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Is that treasonous or bribery? Unethical maybe, but does it fall under the terms of an impeachable offense?

Seriously? Did the Clintons not use the "Foundation" as a pay for play scheme?

Neither or right by any stretch of the imagination. If anything, Ivanka's taken a hit since Donald got elected.

The ethics policies are still being reviewed with what he is doing I imagine. Most Presidents have class enough not to do it in the first place for it to be tested.

There are also possibilities within the emoluments clause that are being explored already but as of yet still unclear how that will pan out. The treason part would come from if he directed Flynn in his phone call efforts.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al

18 U.S. Code § 2381 - Treason

Current through Pub. L. 114-38. (See Public Laws for the current Congress.)

prev | next
Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

(June 25, 1948, ch. 645, 62 Stat. 807; Pub. L. 103–322, title XXXIII, § 330016(2)(J), Sept. 13, 1994, 108 Stat. 2148.)

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
The odds are moving in favor of it with the Bookies in the UK that take such bets

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...ets-bookies-us-president-latest-a7577886.html

The chances of Donald Trump being impeached or resigning without completing his first term as President have more than doubled since he was elected, according to one bookmaker.

When Mr Trump was named as President-elect in November, the odds of him not making it through the full four-year term were 3/1 with Ladbrokes.

Now, following a chaotic three weeks, the odds have shortened to just 11/10.

Jessica Bridge, a spokeswoman for Ladbrokes, said: "Trump says he'll get the job done, but the money suggests otherwise, and punters aren't entirely convinced the next four years will be plain sailing and he could be out of the White House via impeachment or resignation sooner rather than later."

Paddy Power has the odds of President Trump resigning at 15/8, with the chances of him being impeached in 2017 are 4/1.

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007

The ethics policies are still being reviewed with what he is doing I imagine. Most Presidents have class enough not to do it in the first place for it to be tested.

There are also possibilities within the emoluments clause that are being explored already but as of yet still unclear how that will pan out. The treason part would come from if he directed Flynn in his phone call efforts.
Have we ever had a President with as many businesses as this one. I'm not trying to excuse him, I just think his financial holdings seem to be more vast than any I have knowledge of, and I admit his is only conjecture. For all I know his real net worth may be negative. My guess is the thing about whether or not he influenced Flynn will be kind of like the owl asking how many licks it takes to get to the center of the Tootsie Pop, "The world may never know".

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
My guess is the thing about whether or not he influenced Flynn will be kind of like the owl asking how many licks it takes to get to the center of the Tootsie Pop, "The world may never know".
I would lay even odds that he would admit to it in a Twitter tantrum at 2 in the morning some day.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.