Liberty to join FBS

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
On the plus side after this thread I'll no longer see Liberty on the score ticker and have to say "Who/where in the heck is Liberty?"

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
They have been trying to get into the FBS for years but the Sun Belt and CUSA won't take them. They have claimed it is due to discrimination due to their religion. Supposedly the politics of the Falwells has played a role in nobody wanting to get involved with them.

Braveheart

All-SEC
Feb 12, 2006
Surprisingly, they say they have a residential enrollment of over 15,000 students. I would have thought they would be more in the Samford range.
Laugh all you want but they're one of the biggest players in the online degree arena. They have a HUGE online degree program. I want to say somewhere along the lines of 40,000 people getting their degree online at any one time.

Braveheart

All-SEC
Feb 12, 2006
I remember years ago (back in the 1970s) when Liberty was starting up a football program, their goal was NOT to one day win a national championship but "to beat Notre Dame". Dead serious. I had a buddy I played HS football with who went there told me that's what they told him.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Or it's that no one wants a crappy FCS program in their conference.
If people didn't want crappy FCS programs in their conference, that would have prevented a lot of the promotions in recent years.

The NCAA passed the rule about no indy move ups to stop the flood. But if they are going to give transfer QBs games back, I guess they don't really care about their rules.

Hopefully we won't have any more schools move up on their own as Liberty is a special case with their huge bankroll. But if enough do it, there will be plenty of teams to make a schedule and the G5 will become the G6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Here's their schedule:

Sep 2, 2017 TBA vs. Baylor
Waco, Texas

Sep 9, 2017 TBA Morehead State
Lynchburg, Va.

Sep 16, 2017 TBA Indiana State
Lynchburg, Va.

Sep 23, 2017 TBA vs. Jacksonville State
Jacksonville, Ala.

Sep 30, 2017 TBA St. Francis (Pa.)
Lynchburg, Va.

Oct 14, 2017 TBA Kennesaw State*
Lynchburg, Va.

Homecoming Weekend
Oct 21, 2017 TBA vs. Monmouth*
West Long Branch, N.J.

Oct 28, 2017 TBA vs. Gardner-Webb*
Boiling Springs, N.C.

Nov 4, 2017 TBA Duquesne
Lynchburg, Va.

Nov 11, 2017 TBA Presbyterian*
Lynchburg, Va.

Nov 18, 2017 TBA vs. Charleston Southern*
Charleston, S.C.

Obviously, Baylor beats the brakes off of them. Anyone care to spot them 63 points?

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Paging krazy3, I repeat, paging krazy3
Heh, I think you guys have this all covered. I find it hard to imagine anything good coming of this. Their stadium is a glorified high school stadium, they clearly don't belong but that isn't going to stop them.

I wonder how things might have turned out with Alabama and the NCAA if everyone knew you could just get the NCAA to waive all the rules? Anyway, you have the fantastic memory, do you know of any instance of the NCAA applying a rule on FBS membership, be it that a team has to be in a conference or a team failing to meet attendance requirements? I know of teams failing to meet requirements, I don't know of one instance of the NCAA just applying the rules, which is ludicrous given the NCAA's past history of being absolutely overzealous in other regards.

I won't even get into the Baylor stuff, but it's disgusting...

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Heh, I think you guys have this all covered. I find it hard to imagine anything good coming of this. Their stadium is a glorified high school stadium, they clearly don't belong but that isn't going to stop them.

I wonder how things might have turned out with Alabama and the NCAA if everyone knew you could just get the NCAA to waive all the rules? Anyway, you have the fantastic memory, do you know of any instance of the NCAA applying a rule on FBS membership, be it that a team has to be in a conference or a team failing to meet attendance requirements? I know of teams failing to meet requirements, I don't know of one instance of the NCAA just applying the rules, which is ludicrous given the NCAA's past history of being absolutely overzealous in other regards.

I won't even get into the Baylor stuff, but it's disgusting...
The NCAA has no power anymore. Just look at them acting all big and bad around the Ole Miss situation in order to have credibility. When the Power 5 came into existence, the NCAA hasn't been itself. But it might if the commissioner idea gains traction, but we really need to hope against that for a multitude of reasons. I wish the Power 5 would say Adios to the NCAA altogether.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
This is my only recollection of a university being kicked out of a conference in modern times.

Temple joined the Big East in 1991 as a football only member. In their 14 years in the conference, they went winless in 6 of those seasons and they never won more than 3 games in a season from 1991 all the way until 2000 when they managed to win 4 games, something they would do up until 2002. But in 2004 it was announced that that would be the final season the Owls would be a member of the conference. The conference cited attendance, competitiveness and the lack of a steady place to play (Temple splits games between Franklin Field and Veterans Stadium) as reasons Temple was being kicked out. At one point, Temple’s attendance had dropped down to 4,400 per game in 1995. But let’s be honest, it was really just because they were sorry. The worst part is the Big East wasn’t considered a strong football conference. Miami and Virginia Tech had good football program’s, but they still bolted for the ACC in 2004.

TideFans.shop : FLASH SALE 25% off !

TideFans.shop 25% off sitewide!!
TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.