Liberty to join FBS

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Liberty University, which was founded by Jerry Falwell and is now run by his son, has announced they will join the FBS in 2018. Their coach is Turner Gill, whom Charles Barkley once wanted the barn to hire.

They are making the move despite not having an invitation from an FBS conference, which the NCAA requires for a school to move up but have apparently made a waiver for. They also recently hired the former Baylor AD as their athletic director.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...espite-looming-cloud-of-baylor-investigation/

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Liberty University, which was founded by Jerry Falwell and is now run by his son, has announced they will join the FBS in 2018. Their coach is Turner Gill, whom Charles Barkley once wanted the barn to hire.

They are making the move despite not having an invitation from an FBS conference, which the NCAA requires for a school to move up but have apparently made a waiver for. They also recently hired the former Baylor AD as their athletic director.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...espite-looming-cloud-of-baylor-investigation/

I know this is not related to Alabama football, but it does concern college football in general as this may cause others to move up. It is also the offseason and not much else is going on.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
This is wrong, on so many levels....................where to start...................

But, I won't.

OK, the the irony of one upstart Baptist university hiring the disgraced former AD of another Baptist university.........................Frank Zappa could write an entire album covering this subject. (Granted, he could do most of that by changing "Swaggart" to "Falwell", in a handful of existing songs)

Last edited:

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
There is one huge reason this is just downright silly. Can you imagine a go kart entered in the Daytona 500? Well, this is just as illy. I think this is all about sharing FBS TV and bowl money.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
They could lose every game by 100 points if the other teams tried. Let's hope that the other teams try.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Why? I know $$$ will be what is said, but would Liberty bring in the money to make the move worth it? No. So why make a pointless move?
Liberty is desperate for some, any, credibility as a University. They'll never get it through academics so they are trying sports

lowend

All-SEC
Feb 20, 2005
Surprisingly, they say they have a residential enrollment of over 15,000 students. I would have thought they would be more in the Samford range.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
The NCAA needs to re-evaluate about 50 schools and send them back to FCS/Div-1AA.

They have a rule that they don't enforce. Old article, but still appropriate.

"Football Bowl Subdivision teams have to meet minimum attendance requirements (average 15,000 people in actual or paid attendance per home game), which must be met once in a rolling two-year period. NCAA Football Championship Subdivision teams do not need to meet minimum attendance requirements."

Low Attendance Threatens FBS Status for Some College Football Teams

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.