Liberty to join FBS

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
These are 2015 NCAA attendance numbers and I would guess they fell off some more in 2016. If you use an arbitrary 25,000 attendance number for inclusion in the FBS division then based on these numbers, 46 teams would be relegated to a lower division.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...s-for-fifth-straight-year-but-at-slower-rate/
I can't argue this as eloquently or informed as many posters here, but it does seem to me that there should (could?) be two tiers of FBS.

Perhaps go to 40 teams in each tier, divided into 5 conferences of 8 teams. Conferences could be the leftovers of ACC, SEC, B10, B12 and P12 so it stays somewhat regional.

Teams from Tier I must schedule Tier I for OOC games, with the exception of ONLY 1 Tier II team.

Meanwhile, Tier II teams can schedule as many Tier I teams for OOC games as they want - in order to strengthen their SOS.

I'd have to consider how a champion would be decided...

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
If you did split the FBS and separate the contenders from the pretenders, what criteria do you use?

Attendance, winning %, generated revenue, etc?

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
The NCAA has no power anymore.
Well, the NCAA has long tried to expand the FBS and to even the playing field. I think they had a dream of a NCAA controlled post season that would turn into a cash cow for them like the basketball tournament. Things have changed, but the NCAA's let everyone in approach clearly hasn't.

If you use an arbitrary 25,000 attendance number for inclusion in the FBS division then based on these numbers, 46 teams would be relegated to a lower division.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...s-for-fifth-straight-year-but-at-slower-rate/
A couple takeaways from that. First, I'd have to point out from what I saw Liberty's stadium doesn't even hold 20,000. Ok, I'm going to throw in something else. South Alabama's attendance was 16K... anyway the second point is that 10 programs did not meet the NCAA mandated minimum attendance of 15,000 (based on those numbers most are repeat violators as well). This is an actual rule that exists. There's just no enforcement of a basic rule.

"Football Bowl Subdivision teams have to meet minimum attendance requirements (average 15,000 people in actual or paid attendance per home game), which must be met once in a rolling two-year period."

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I really think this is simply a business decision. The online student body (94,000) is all over the country (all over the world, really) and getting Liberty's name on TV, even if they are getting stomped by Baylor to the tune of 63 points, is probably seen as recruiting more on-line students.

A friend who played at Samford asked the college president why he maintained football even while the football program was losing money, and the president said he needed the exposure football brought the school to get more people to apply for admission.

Bad athletics, good business.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.