Bham Church Seeks to Establish Police Force

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
They are free to request one.

Briarwood, by the way, also has an 1,100-student elementary school that operates Monday through Friday on its campus. My kids' schools have 3 deputies that protect equivalent grades in the Oak Mtn school system.
Easy enough for them to request / pay for deputies, just as other schools do.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Here ya go:

http://oira.ua.edu/factbook/images/orgChart.png

They fall under a STATE run institution with board members appointed by an elected official. Nowhere near the same as a private entity that might eventually report to a state agency and you know it.
The Briarwood police would similarly be subjected to public officials. They would be constituted by the legislature and the governor and would be subject to elimination by the same.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I went to Birmingham-Southern College. They had (and I assume still do) their own police.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I've already shown you who will sign their paychecks. And at the top of the org chart is the state legislature and the governor, which is the same for Chief John Hooks.
Saban isn't at the top of the chart?

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
A thousands times NO!

A private entity whether a corporation or a church or the local union or the HOA should not have their own police force. Security? Sure. But nothing with actual force of law behind it that is not directly accountable to the government and therefore the people. Period.
Many railroads have their own police force.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Who does Chief John Hooks report to?
If Chief John Hook were to comprise the Briarwood force, this might be a relevant answer. But the question was about who would be the force's *immediate* supervisor. Who would they go to with questions about procedures and responses? From the original article:

“They would answer to the leadership of the section of the church,” a representative from the church answered.
So while the organization chart would be *pretty much the same* as the Bham police chart, the church itself would be between the force and the Bham police.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I went to Birmingham-Southern College. They had (and I assume still do) their own police.

Campus police are the same as regular police in the state.

I think the difference in this particular case is that Briarwood wants to actually have a police force like Southern Co., Mercedes, and other private organizations. I think the differences in the two I named is that Southern Co is protecting key infrastructure, and Mercedes has a FTZ. Briarwood is a bit different in that they are a church/private school. I think maybe an armed security and 1 or 2 police officers would be enough, but I don't think their situation requires a police force.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
Mrs. Basket Case and I live not too far from Briarwood. We don't have kids, but we have some close friends who pulled their two boys out over the incredibly political, controlling atmosphere that infiltrates everything -- who makes sports teams, who plays, even who gets academic honors or the benefit of the doubt on close calls regarding grades.

They really don't make a strong distinction between church and school, and if you're in the church leadership, your kids "get things," including looks the other way over matters of academic integrity, vandalism to school property, and physical intimidation of other students. Don't know about skating on sexual assault, but it would be consistent.

If you're not in church leadership, you face the full wrath of Biblically-based justice, as interpreted by the leaders.

This drive to get its own police force has been in the works for some time, and is a way to add force of law to what is currently petty church garbage.

I don't think it was always this bad, but those guys are downright scary now. Kind of has the feel of Baylor-lite.
Maybe if they quit letting their kids skate on the petty stuff and instill a little discipline in them, it wouldn't have gone this far.
I'm reminded here of the Andy Griffith episode of the rich kid who rides his bicycle on the sidewalk. What he really needs is a trip out back to the woodshed.

AV8N

1st Team
Sep 18, 2013
It does seem a little strange that a church would want to involve an arm of the state in their matters. I'd assume the officers would be sworn peace officers under the state, but whose laws would they enforce? I suppose that's one way to get tithing up!

And of course the uniforms would be fab-u-lous!

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Briarwood School has a fairly significant drug problem. I'd bet this an attempt to make it easier for them to sweep problems under the rug by not involving "outside" authorities.

http://www.al.com/opinion/index.ssf/2015/04/drug_bust_at_briarwood_christi.html
I'd forgotten about that incident. But it's exactly the kind of stuff I was talking about in my earlier post.

https://www.tidefans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281415&p=2985956&viewfull=1#post2985956

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.