Company fires 18 employees after they participated in 'A Day Without Immigrants'

Aledinho

All-SEC
Feb 22, 2007
In Marietta, three of the Brasilian restaurants that I eat at were closed. The fourth which has been there the longest and is the most Americanized (playing Fox instead of Globo on the TV, etc) was open. Most if not all the Brasilian imigrants that I know who have legal residency or citizenship went to work on Thursday. I think a lot of people were like us and did not know about the strike until they saw the shops closed.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Ironically....those with ethnic backgrounds are among those with the highest work ethic in this country, from what I have observed in my lifetime.

Why would someone suggest taking off work as a way to protest?

That's the most counter productive concept one could come up with!

The level of stupidity is mind blowing.....:rolleyes:

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
I don't as the distinction is moot in 2017 as the costs and procedures of coming to the US Legally have made it too prohibitive to do so for most of the kind of people who built this country. I would be fine with the distinction if we fixed this, but there is no desire to do so on either side. We need immigration reform that includes a plan for allowing the "poor huddled masses yearning to be free," that hasn't really existed in decades outside of some tiny feel good refugee programs and many of y'all are trying desperately to shut those down too
That policy is ok for an emerging nation but not so wise after it has established itself. It is in our best interest to bring in those who have something to contribute and not those who will only drain the system. Cold? Maybe so, but our children and grandchildren deserve better than the future they will inherit if we just open the flood gates.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
That policy is ok for an emerging nation but not so wise after it has established itself. It is in our best interest to bring in those who have something to contribute and not those who will only drain the system. Cold? Maybe so, but our children and grandchildren deserve better than the future they will inherit if we just open the flood gates.
Yup.

In my opinion, Australian sets a good example of how the process should work.

Migration to Australia

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Define "those who have something to contribute" because I think picking strawberries is a great contribution. If we only bring in the wealthy our crops will rot

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Thats why we have H-2A visas.
and yet we still saw this in Ga when we passed stupid laws

http://www.forbes.com/sites/realspi...rgias-immigration-law-backfires/#5b0466f2404a

To forgo a repeat of last year, when labor shortages triggered an estimated $140 million in agricultural losses, as crops rotted in the fields, officials in Georgia are now dispatching prisoners to the state’s farms to help harvest fruit and vegetables.

The labor shortages, which also have affected the hotel and restaurant industries, are a consequence of Georgia’s immigration enforcement law, HB 87, which was passed last year. As State Rep. Matt Ramsey, one of the bill’s authors, said at the time, “Our goal is … to eliminate incentives for illegal aliens to cross into our state.”

Now he and others are learning: Be careful what you wish for, because you may get more than you bargained for.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Define "those who have something to contribute" because I think picking strawberries is a great contribution. If we only bring in the wealthy our crops will rot
For a self-professed libertarian, economics do not seem to be your forte.
Moses did not walk down Mount Sinai with a stone tablet declaring "Yea, verily, strawberry pickers shall make $5/hour forever." The market determines their wages.

If the US expelled every single illegal immigrant and reduced immigration by unskilled labor (which would seem to be the market your post addresses), the supply of unskilled agricultural labor would drop. Strawberry growers facing their crop rotting in the field would raise wages of strawberry pickers to the point where they could get at least some people in the US to pick their crop to get it to market. The price of strawberries in supermarkets would rise probably to the point that many consumers who buy strawberries at today's prices would forego consumption of strawberries at the new (post-immigration) equilibrium price. You are correct about this point: Some growers would decline harvesting the crop due to increased labor costs. Do you think they would plant the same acreage in strawberries the next season? They would cut their losses in the short term and promise themselves that they would never put themselves in that bind again, but would find something else to do (either grow something else or leave agriculture altogether).

Over the next few seasons, some producers would shift to producing other commodities not so labor-intensive, some mechanical genius would design a machine that would pick some strawberries at an acceptable rate (probably crushing some ripe strawberries and picking some that were not yet ripe when picked, but would get the job done cheaper than the new equilibrium wage), some American labor would be attracted to the fields at the new wage rates, or some combination of all of the above.

But here's the point, while it might suck for strawberry consumers (some would pay the new higher prices, some would forego consumption), it would be a boon for unskilled/semi-skilled American laborers.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
American labor laws in most states don't make it possible for this kind of protest to be practical.

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
American labor laws in most states don't make it possible for this kind of protest to be practical.
I would think if you have a job to do and were told that if you did not show up to work to do something personal in nature. Ask for a day off, use vacation time. This took place in Nashville, where is the gray area about taking off without reporting in as sick or requesting a day off. I need for someone to explain to me why a employer can not fire someone when the employeer had "just cause". Both parties lost the company lost production time and thats money, the employees were fired and need new jobs. Where is the sense in any of this?

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
When I was a kid in Bama school was let out for two weeks when cotton came in. I didn't live on a farm but can remember going with my granny to pick for like .25 cents per pound. It was a hard .25 cents. Don't remember picking along side any immigrants. Oh I forgot I am an immigrant...from Kentucky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
When I was a kid in Bama school was let out for two weeks when cotton came in. I didn't live on a farm but can remember going with my granny to pick for like .25 cents per pound. It was a hard .25 cents. Don't remember picking along side any immigrants. Oh I forgot I am an immigrant...from Kentucky.
Picking cotton is HARD.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
For a self-professed libertarian, economics do not seem to be your forte.
Moses did not walk down Mount Sinai with a stone tablet declaring "Yea, verily, strawberry pickers shall make $5/hour forever." The market determines their wages.

If the US expelled every single illegal immigrant and reduced immigration by unskilled labor (which would seem to be the market your post addresses), the supply of unskilled agricultural labor would drop. Strawberry growers facing their crop rotting in the field would raise wages of strawberry pickers to the point where they could get at least some people in the US to pick their crop to get it to market. The price of strawberries in supermarkets would rise probably to the point that many consumers who buy strawberries at today's prices would forego consumption of strawberries at the new (post-immigration) equilibrium price. You are correct about this point: Some growers would decline harvesting the crop due to increased labor costs. Do you think they would plant the same acreage in strawberries the next season? They would cut their losses in the short term and promise themselves that they would never put themselves in that bind again, but would find something else to do (either grow something else or leave agriculture altogether).

Over the next few seasons, some producers would shift to producing other commodities not so labor-intensive, some mechanical genius would design a machine that would pick some strawberries at an acceptable rate (probably crushing some ripe strawberries and picking some that were not yet ripe when picked, but would get the job done cheaper than the new equilibrium wage), some American labor would be attracted to the fields at the new wage rates, or some combination of all of the above.

But here's the point, while it might suck for strawberry consumers (some would pay the new higher prices, some would forego consumption), it would be a boon for unskilled/semi-skilled American laborers.
My party affiliation has nothing to do with anything and never comes first, ever.

I saw the results through the lens of reality, not party dogma. GA farmers and the State of Georgia suffered in real terms when this stupid law was enacted, period. California experienced the same real problems last year during the run up to the election when immigrants stayed away from the fields. And as we crack down it will get worse. Will real world economics effect things of course, but your post neglects other effects. Such as strawberries, to keep a consistent example, being produced in Mexico or Argentina or in other locals were labor remains cheap. Our farms need migrant labor to compete, unless you want to get all Trumpian and start enacting tariffs to artificially compete (which is the logical extension of this) and that is hardly a Libertarian position either

oh, and Moses didn't exist

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
By comparison around 4-6 months ago women in Iceland were having organized daily walk outs from their jobs about their country's 14% gender pay gap. I didn't hear about anyone getting fired from the demonstrations either. This country is not very pro-laborer for a variety of reasons and these kinds of protests are basically gambling with your job.

sabanball

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
High Cotton
Let me make sure I follow this...strawberries and other produce rotting in the fields is justification for illegal immigration/breaking the law?

That can't be right...

Last edited:

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Let me make sure I follow this...strawberries and other produce rotting in the fields is justification for illegal immigration/breaking the law?

That can't be right...

strawberries are but one tiny example. Ripple effects are very real. The hit the GA farmers took wasn't just one year, they had to change what they planted and still can't produce the same as they once did, even with the Government forcing prisoners to harvest. You want that nationwide? I don't

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
My party affiliation has nothing to do with anything and never comes first, ever.

I saw the results through the lens of reality, not party dogma. GA farmers and the State of Georgia suffered in real terms when this stupid law was enacted, period. California experienced the same real problems last year during the run up to the election when immigrants stayed away from the fields. And as we crack down it will get worse. Will real world economics effect things of course, but your post neglects other effects. Such as strawberries, to keep a consistent example, being produced in Mexico or Argentina or in other locals were labor remains cheap. Our farms need migrant labor to compete, unless you want to get all Trumpian and start enacting tariffs to artificially compete (which is the logical extension of this) and that is hardly a Libertarian position either

oh, and Moses didn't exist
did too

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA

That can't be right...

To qualify for H-2A nonimmigrant classification, the petitioner must:

Offer a job that is of a temporary or seasonal nature.
Demonstrate that there are not enough U.S. workers who are able, willing, qualified, and available to do the temporary work.
Show that employing H-2A workers will not adversely affect the wages and working conditions of similarly employed U.S. workers.
Generally, submit a single valid temporary labor certification from the U.S. Department of Labor with the H-2A petition. (A limited exception to this requirement exists in certain “emergent circumstances.” See e.g., 8 CFR 214.2(h)(5)(x) for specific details.)
https://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/temporary-workers/h-2a-temporary-agricultural-workers

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.