Company fires 18 employees after they participated in 'A Day Without Immigrants'

sabanball

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
High Cotton
From your link:

Period of Stay

Generally, USCIS may grant H-2A classification for up to the period of time authorized on the temporary labor certification. H-2A classification may be extended for qualifying employment in increments of up to 1 year each. A new, valid temporary labor certification covering the requested time must accompany each extension request. The maximum period of stay in H-2A classification is 3 years.

A person who has held H-2A nonimmigrant status for a total of 3 years must depart and remain outside the United States for an uninterrupted period of 3 months before seeking readmission as an H-2A nonimmigrant. Additionally, previous time spent in other H or L classifications counts toward total H-2A time.

Exception: Certain periods of time spent outside of the United States may “interrupt” an H-2A worker’s authorized stay and not count toward the 3-year limit. See the Calculating Interrupted Stay for H-2 Classifications Web page for additional information.
Stating the obvious, one would think that this is where an immigrant with legal status overstays/violates the law and becomes an immigrant in illegal status. Any stats on how well this is being monitored/enforced?

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Seems to me that instead of relying on immigrants to harvest our fruits and vegetables, etc., our homeless citizens would welcome that employment. Two birds with one stone?
ever met a homeless person? For a great many of them lack of employment isn't their biggest challenge. Typically it is mental health, followed by addiction and/or other disability.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
From your link:

Stating the obvious, one would think that this is where an immigrant with legal status overstays/violates the law and becomes an immigrant in illegal status. Any stats on how well this is being monitored/enforced?
Im sure many do overstay but many are also happy to go back during the off season and come back the next season. Many come and go to the eastern sure of MD every year to pick crabs. Thats the way it should work.

sabanball

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
High Cotton
... many are also happy to go back during the off season and come back the next season. Many come and go to the eastern sure of MD every year to pick crabs. Thats the way it should work.
Totally agree with that and support those who lawfully abide by the system.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I'm not trying to antagonize you. Seriously.
My party affiliation has nothing to do with anything and never comes first, ever.
The word "libertarian" not being capitalized, I was referencing your self-profession of libertarianism, as a worldview or ideology.
GA farmers and the State of Georgia suffered in real terms when this stupid law was enacted, period. California experienced the same real problems last year during the run up to the election when immigrants stayed away from the fields. And as we crack down it will get worse.
In the short term, yes. In the long term, less so. I would suggest Economics in One Lesson (free from Mises). Plus, as Bamaro has pointed out repeatedly, agricultural workers are why we have H-2A visas. Workers come in, do the work, get their paycheck, and go home.
Will real world economics effect things of course, but your post neglects other effects. Such as strawberries, to keep a consistent example, being produced in Mexico or Argentina or in other locals were labor remains cheap.
If Mexico and Argentina can produce strawberries more efficiently that the US can, the US would be silly to waste scarce resources producing things were others could produce more efficiently.
Our farms need migrant labor to compete, unless you want to get all Trumpian and start enacting tariffs to artificially compete (which is the logical extension of this) and that is hardly a Libertarian position either
I would not, but there is an extent to which the tyranny of distance intervenes. Strawberries in Argentina may be cheaper, but you have to transport them, and transport them quickly, because they are very perishable. That costs money.
oh, and Moses didn't exist
I guess the concept of metaphor escaped you in this case. Wages are determined by the interactions of supply and demand, in the market. Implicit in much pro-immigration argument is the idea that Americans won't work at the wages now paid. The highlighted bit is not a given, however. It is a variable. Restrict the supply of labor and wages will go up.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.