Company fires 18 employees after they participated in 'A Day Without Immigrants'

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
"This past Wednesday night, certain employees of BCI informed their leadership that they would not be at work the following day. Because of the time-sensitive nature of the jobs these employees were assigned to, all employees were told that they would need to show up for work or they would be terminated. On Thursday, the majority of BCI’s employees fulfilled their obligations to our clients, but eighteen employees did not. Regretfully, and consistent with its prior communication to all its employees, BCI had no choice but to terminate these individuals. The reason these employees missed work—to engage in peaceful demonstrations—had nothing to do with BCI’s decision to terminate them. BCI regrets this situation, but it has contracted with its clients to complete work on a schedule set by the client’s general contractor. BCI will review its procedures in an effort to avoid similar issues in the future, and will continue to provide timely service to its clients and support to the Nashville immigrant community."
http://www.abc2news.com/news/nation...ter-participating-in-a-day-without-immigrants

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
And ironically....there is still a wall to be built, global warming to fear, a Bama hoops game today. Not sure if the "Day Without Immigrants" rally accomplished much.

Last edited by a moderator:

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA
The "Day without immigrants" was a high risk, high reward initiative. From all I've heard in my fairly liberal area, there was poor participation. The risk won out. Maybe people didn't want to miss work and highlight their immigrant status.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
If your company said you'd be fired if you missed work on this day, you can't be surprised when it happens.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
the day without immigrants was very poorly planned and marketed. I spent the entire day in what amounts to Atlanta's Koreatown and there were no signs of it there. I did have some fantastic Korean Fried Chicken for lunch and then a great coffee from a Vietnamese place. I had no idea until later that day that this particular protest existed

Spicy Korean Fried Chicken and Waffles. Probably took a month or so off the end of my life but worth it

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Meanwhile, the straw man of not distinguishing between IMMIGRANTS (which all of us who are not Native Americans are) and ILLEGAL immigrants who cut the line continues.

However, I AM pleased to see that it appears both left and right and for that matter the center basically agree on this.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Meanwhile, the straw man of not distinguishing between IMMIGRANTS (which all of us who are not Native Americans are) and ILLEGAL immigrants who cut the line continues.

However, I AM pleased to see that it appears both left and right and for that matter the center basically agree on this.
I don't as the distinction is moot in 2017 as the costs and procedures of coming to the US Legally have made it too prohibitive to do so for most of the kind of people who built this country. I would be fine with the distinction if we fixed this, but there is no desire to do so on either side. We need immigration reform that includes a plan for allowing the "poor huddled masses yearning to be free," that hasn't really existed in decades outside of some tiny feel good refugee programs and many of y'all are trying desperately to shut those down too

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Not sure if the "Day Without Immigrants" rally accomplished much.
It "jests at scars that never felt a wound." It ridicules an idea I have not heard anybody make: 'the US should allow no immigrants," or "we should expel all legal immigrants already here." I'm not sure who outside of the KKK is making that assertion.
But to the former employees, "I say, whatever, man. Whatever floats your boat. Good luck in the job search. Make sure you tell the prospective employers to whom you are applying that you are prone to not showing up for work whenever a call goes out for a moronic Social Justice Warrior stunt. Let us know how that works out for you."

Last edited:

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA

I am not an immigrant nor are most here.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I am not an immigrant nor are most here.
If you're not Native American then your genealogy most certainly IS immigrant, even if they were on Leif Ericson's boat.

That's the argument we're always told. "What if your family way back (when this country had less than 100 million people and was mostly based in the East) was denied their attempt to escape (name country)?"

I'm in basic agreement with Jon that there DOES need to be immigration, absolutely - but this "the hell with you, not only will I come here but I'll shame you into teaching my kids in my NATIVE language." Sorry, but when I lived in Germany where our military was providing them with protection from the Soviets (and having a say in their reunification), I didn't go into THEIR country and say, "Ok, you should now speak English." Now granted - MOST of the Germans with whom I interacted even on the economy DID know some and many knew it far better than I knew their German.

But this "you have to teach these kids in Spanish?" Nonsense. Do what you want at home and keep your culture, but we're not loading up classes with Gaelic for the Irish who came or Italian for them or French for them.

The whole thing has got to be a two-way street of give and give.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
the day without immigrants was very poorly planned and marketed. I spent the entire day in what amounts to Atlanta's Koreatown and there were no signs of it there. I did have some fantastic Korean Fried Chicken for lunch and then a great coffee from a Vietnamese place. I had no idea until later that day that this particular protest existed

Spicy Korean Fried Chicken and Waffles. Probably took a month or so off the end of my life but worth it

Jon, I'm sorry, but I'm just sitting here chuckling while I remember the head Cheeto posting that picture of his Mexican meal last year, LOL!!!!

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The Asian invaders (around 13,500 years ago) wiped out the Europeans (who arrived around 21,000-17,000 years ago and thus were here first) who were living in America when the Asians invaded.
Across Atlantic Ice.
Fair enough.

Next person who uses this "we're all immigrants" line can show his genealogical chart.

Btw - I seriously appreciate your history knowledge. Wow. Always. Good. VERY good. Yuge.

:)

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Fair enough.

Next person who uses this "we're all immigrants" line can show his genealogical chart.

Btw - I seriously appreciate your history knowledge. Wow. Always. Good. VERY good. Yuge.

Thanks for the kind words.
You can imagine the reaction the Solutrean hypothesis gets from the American Indian Movement. Let's just say, they are not big fans. Picture an unkempt European caveman watching with a tear rolling down his cheek as the Asian invaders chase buffalo herds off of cliffs.
The problem with proving (or disproving) the hypothesis is that water levels (by definition) have risen substantially since 19,000 BC, so the waterside camping sites of that era (and thus most of the stone tool remains) are under a couple of hundred feet of water off the coast of Virginia. (sea levels have risen about 120 meters since 19,000 BC). Time for some underwater archaeology...

Last edited:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I thought about having a "Day without Crimson1967" but I suspect my boss would enjoy it so much he would make it permanent.

This is actually an event I was unaware of until after it happened. I was in Atlanta for work but didn't see any evidence of it. My supervisor (who is Japanese) was there. He was born in California. I have never asked, but I suspect his parents (given his age) were thrown in a prison camp by that great liberal FDR during WWII.

Anyway, after work I went to lunch at a Japanese restaurant where I saw a lot of immigrants. I also saw another one at the front desk of the hotel I was staying in. I guess they didn't get the memo.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I thought about having a "Day without Crimson1967" but I suspect my boss would enjoy it so much he would make it permanent.

This is actually an event I was unaware of until after it happened. I was in Atlanta for work but didn't see any evidence of it. My supervisor (who is Japanese) was there. He was born in California. I have never asked, but I suspect his parents (given his age) were thrown in a prison camp by that great liberal FDR during WWII.

Anyway, after work I went to lunch at a Japanese restaurant where I saw a lot of immigrants. I also saw another one at the front desk of the hotel I was staying in. I guess they didn't get the memo.
like I said, it seemed to get little to no publicity here in Atlanta. That's a good thing because without immigrants this city grinds to a halt which would have ripple effects throughout the Southeast

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Fair enough.

Thats what I was getting at. There is a big difference between being an immigrant and being descended from immigrants. Technically the only place without immigrants is sub-Saharan Africa.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.