Russian NVIDIA fanboy murders AMD fan: Nope, not Florida

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Mine was a ComuPro, running CP/M, with dual 5.25 floppies. I thought it was hot stuff. I moved up to an Osborne from there...

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I get nostalgic remembering the Athlon/Pentium 3/4 era.

Speaking of nostalgia, what was your first computer?

Mine was an old Packard Bell 386SX with a 16MHz 386, 1 MB of RAM, a 40 MB HDD, a SoundBlaster 1, VGA graphics, 3 1/2 and 5 1/4 floppy drives, a modem rated in Baud rather than KBs and a dot matrix printer. OS was DOS 3.1 and Windows 3.1. Learned to code BASIC on it. Ran X-Wing and Prince of Persia like a champ. Got it when I turned 9. Loved that computer and to this day consider it the best birthday present I ever received.
My family's first was a PB with a Pentium with MMX 166mhz, IIRC. Cost something like $2500, including printer. This was during the beginning of the browser wars and AOL was the thing. Windows 95 included. I'd played on my buddy's Tandy 1000 and the school had McIntosh.

My first and my first actual build was an AMD K6-II 350mhz with a Voodoo 3 3000. Probably had 128 mb RAM with a 20gb HDD. I later upgraded to a Duron with an Nvidia card.

Those Athlon/Pentium days were exciting. Lots of innovation. P4 was a disaster in many ways, but the Israeli team got Intel have on track with Pentium-M, which lead to the core processors. Ryzen will be the first real competition since. The 1400x looks appetizing.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
My family's first was a PB with a Pentium with MMX 166mhz, IIRC. Cost something like $2500, including printer. This was during the beginning of the browser wars and AOL was the thing. Windows 95 included. I'd played on my buddy's Tandy 1000 and the school had McIntosh.
"You have cholera."
"Crimsonaudio has typhoid. It can be cured with simple antibiotics."
"AUDub has died of dysentery."

Man, AOL. "Who picked up the phone while I was trying to download something?"

My first and my first actual build was an AMD K6-II 350mhz with a Voodoo 3 3000. Probably had 128 mb RAM with a 20gb HDD. I later upgraded to a Duron with an Nvidia card.

Those Athlon/Pentium days were exciting. Lots of innovation. P4 was a disaster in many ways, but the Israeli team got Intel have on track with Pentium-M, which lead to the core processors. Ryzen will be the first real competition since. The 1400x looks appetizing.
I was a scrounger. Could piece together PCs from spare parts with the best of them. Warcraft 2 over LAN with my little bro. Good times.

My first real build was a Phenom II 940 black edition that is still running after 7 years. The processor has outlived a stick of RAM and two motherboards. Just keeps chugging along.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I'm impressed you guys can remember so much about your first build. About all I can remember was that the mobo was Athlon-driven by some little company in upstate NY. It was hot stuff when I built it. I remember that it was intended to be overclocked and I bought a humongous case with five fans, the AMD ran so hot. My wife couldn't stand it, it was so loud. My Lenovo now has a little lever on top to overclock it. Takes all the fun out... :D

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
"You have cholera."
"Crimsonaudio has typhoid. It can be cured with simple antibiotics."
"AUDub has died of dysentery."

Man, AOL. "Who picked up the phone while I was trying to download something?"

I was a scrounger. Could piece together PCs from spare parts with the best of them. Warcraft 2 over LAN with my little bro. Good times.

My first real build was a Phenom II 940 black edition that is still running after 7 years. The processor has outlived a stick of RAM and two motherboards. Just keeps chugging along.
I kinda wish Oregon Trail had been updated through the years. Good times.

More recently I think the game was the original Pandemic, and dang if Madagascar didn't ruin it every time.

A lot of buddies played Evercrack, but I couldn't see a subscription just to play. Unreal Tournament was a lot of fun. Really enjoyed the NCAA football games going back to Intellivision. Hated when they quit making them for PC (and now not at all).

Phenom actually stood the test of time pretty well. K10 wasn't bad by any means. It can still keep up with steamroller apu's. (AMD also over anticipated the move to gpu processing for everyday tasks).

I've scrounged and thrown together several linux distro boxes that did everyday tasks very well. Even Via cpu's did OK back in the day. My 19yo son runs linux exclusively.

I cut my teeth on sites like HardOCP, Anandtech, Tom's Hardware, The Inquirer, Tech Extreme, Ars, etc;....HardOCP is still a regular stop. Since Anand left his site it's taken a few steps back, but there hasn't been much to report/review anyway. Their SSD reviews are good. Ars gets a little too political for me to go there much, but game reviews are excellent.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
I'm impressed you guys can remember so much about your first build. About all I can remember was that the mobo was Athlon-driven by some little company in upstate NY. It was hot stuff when I built it. I remember that it was intended to be overclocked and I bought a humongous case with five fans, the AMD ran so hot. My wife couldn't stand it, it was so loud. My Lenovo now has a little lever on top to overclock it. Takes all the fun out... :D
For the life of me I can't remember a mobo maker in NY. Jetway in Newark, CA. That's about the closest that I can come up with.

My first couple came from Asus. In the Athlon days Nvidia and VIA made the better chipsets for AMD. All of them were buggy and had numerous compatibility issues. The iWill XP333 just would not work with some normally good RAM modules.

Your wife didn't like a jet taking off in the house? :D

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
For the life of me I can't remember a mobo maker in NY. Jetway in Newark, CA. That's about the closest that I can come up with.

My first couple came from Asus. In the Athlon days Nvidia and VIA made the better chipsets for AMD. All of them were buggy and had numerous compatibility issues. The iWill XP333 just would not work with some normally good RAM modules.

Your wife didn't like a jet taking off in the house? :D
It was loud. :) I'll see if I can dig up some of the correspondence with them. It was fire engine red. I had Dells at my office and got to talking to a TS, back when they were stateside (he was in Memphis) and he'd built a machine with the same mobo. I knew he was telling the truth when he mentioned the color...

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I get nostalgic remembering the Athlon/Pentium 3/4 era.

Speaking of nostalgia, what was your first computer?

Mine was an old Packard Bell 386SX with a 16MHz 386, 1 MB of RAM, a 40 MB HDD, a SoundBlaster 1, VGA graphics, 3 1/2 and 5 1/4 floppy drives, a modem rated in Baud rather than KBs and a dot matrix printer. OS was DOS and Windows 3.1. Learned to code BASIC on it. Ran X-Wing and Prince of Persia like a champ. Got it when I turned 9. Loved that computer and to this day consider it the best birthday present I ever received.
http://oldcomputers.net/ibm5100.html

my Dad worked for IBM so we had this and then just about everything you can imagine that came after

this was the first one I really played with though as it had Lunar Lander on it, which was essentially a game where you tried to land a carrot, this ^ on a varying surface, lots of fun in 1978

http://oldcomputers.net/ibm5110.html

Last edited:

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
this was the first one I really played with though as it had Lunar Lander on it, which was essentially a game where you tried to land a carrot, this ^ on a varying surface, lots of fun in 1978
I used to play a version of that every time I went to the Space and Rocket center in Huntsville as a kid. In the 80's in elementary school in Montgomery Number Crunchers and Oregon Trail were the go to games for fun. I didn't have my own computer until a bit later but the neighbors and some family members had some with games that I wish I could remember just for nostalgia's sake. My next door neighbor had some ninja game that I thought was the coolest thing ever and I have no clue what it was.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I used to play a version of that every time I went to the Space and Rocket center in Huntsville as a kid. In the 80's in elementary school in Montgomery Number Crunchers and Oregon Trail were the go to games for fun. I didn't have my own computer until a bit later but the neighbors and some family members had some with games that I wish I could remember just for nostalgia's sake. My next door neighbor had some ninja game that I thought was the coolest thing ever and I have no clue what it was.
"you have died of dysentery" can't even tell you how many hours of my life I wasted on Oregon Trail

In the early 80's my dad's best friend at work ran the IBM PCjr gaming group so I had all 8 cartridge games I was too cool though I really only recall playing Scubaventures and Kings Quest

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Who remembers when a key tool for an AMD CPU was a #2 pencil?
:biggrin2:
haha, the Thunderbirds!
Reminds me of how spoiled my generation of hobbyists can be. AMD and Intel picked up on that and release unlocked CPUs (Black edition and Extreme edition, respectively) regularly now. Over clocking is as simple as opening a utility and adjusting a slider.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Reminds me of how spoiled my generation of hobbyists can be. AMD and Intel picked up on that and release unlocked CPUs (Black edition and Extreme edition, respectively) regularly now. Over clocking is as simple as opening a utility and adjusting a slider.
More simple than that on this Lenovo. There's a slide on top and a light under the front edge of the tower changes color accordingly. Green for conservative, blue for normal and red for overclocked. There, I just overclocked... :D

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.