NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
All my builds are AMD as well. I have used nvidia before and will again if it makes sense. Same for intel. Anticipating RyZen now and plan to build a gaming machine with my 13yo. It will be his first. He's helped dad before but this time I'm helping him.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
All my builds are AMD as well. I have used nvidia before and will again if it makes sense. Same for intel. Anticipating RyZen now and plan to build a gaming machine with my 13yo. It will be his first. He's helped dad before but this time I'm helping him.
I KEEL YOU!

The gaming machine I built for the chirruns is a Pentium i7 box with 16GB memory, very quick. Nvidia card is an 8GB beast (don't recall the model, been 1.5 years).
But can it run Crysis?

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
I've always used AMD CPU. Bang for less buck. If I was a big gamer or a CAD user I would go with Intel. I don't need a lot of processor or video to play Spider Solitaire.:)

Partial to ASUS or Gigabyte Mobo.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
I have no idea what those things are.
Computer components.

Among graphics processing unit (GPU) manufacturers, the two manufacturers that rule the roost are Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) with their Radeon line and Nvidia with their GeForce line. Each has dedicated following and a rivalry has developed.

Among central processing unit (CPU) manufacturers, the story is much the same, but it's AMD and Intel that rule the roost.

AMD plays second fiddle in both cases. They do some things pretty well (multithreading!) and are generally considered a better "bang for your buck" option if you're on a budget, but concerning CPUs they are probably a generation behind Intel. The gap is much narrower concerning GPUs, but Nvidia's top end cards do outperform AMD's.

Last edited:

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Computer components.

Among graphics processing unit (GPU) manufacturers, the two manufacturers that rule the roost are Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) with their Radeon line and Nvidia with their GeForce line. Each has dedicated following and a rivalry has developed.

Among central processing unit (CPU) manufacturers, the story is much the same, but it's AMD and Intel that rule the roost.

AMD plays second fiddle in both cases. They do some things pretty well (multithreading!) and are generally considered a better "bang for your buck" option if you're on a budget, but concerning CPUs they are probably a generation behind Intel. The gap is much narrower concerning GPUs, but Nvidia's top end cards do outperform AMD's.
AMD suffered from both poor leadership and poor behavior from Intel. Lisa Su has seemingly righted the ship and has the company firing on all cylinders with both a new CPU (Ryzen) and a new GPU (Vega 10) set to hit the market this year. Both are expected to bring performance on par or above that of the competitors. Both will, no doubt, battle back. I'm just glad to see competition again.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
AMD suffered from both poor leadership and poor behavior from Intel. Lisa Su has seemingly righted the ship and has the company firing on all cylinders with both a new CPU (Ryzen) and a new GPU (Vega 10) set to hit the market this year. Both are expected to bring performance on par or above that of the competitors. Both will, no doubt, battle back. I'm just glad to see competition again.
I hope it lives up to the hype. I'm skeptical since Bulldozer turned out to be such a disappointment. The benchmarks look promising.

I miss the days when AMD's Athlon was destroying anything Intel put out. It would be great for the market if AMD can get it in gear. If they can match the i7 at a far cheaper price, lookout. Be nice to get Intel off their duffs and innovating again.

Doesn't Intel still owe them a billion or so from that antitrust case?

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
I hope it lives up to the hype. I'm skeptical since Bulldozer turned out to be such a disappointment. The benchmarks look promising.

I miss the days when AMD's Athlon was destroying anything Intel put out. It would be great for the market if AMD can get it in gear. If they can match the i7 at a far cheaper price, lookout. Be nice to get Intel off their duffs and innovating again.

Doesn't Intel still owe them a billion or so from that antitrust case?
Pretty sure Intel has paid that in full.

Athlon. Athlon 64. Athlon 64 x2. Good times. Phenom wasn't bad but the dozer family was far worse than Pentium 4(in large part because AMD doesn't have the same clout as Intel to move the market and overestimated the move toward multithreading). They did do a great job with the apu's. My kid has been gaming with the same one for 4 years (and no, it won't run crysis :D ).

Jim Keller designed zen so there's plenty reason to have some faith in the hype right now. The buzz is there to indicate a hit, just like there was a buzz of disappointment around bulldozer despite a few fake benches. Keller designed or helped design Alpha, k7, and was lead arch for k8 and apple's A4/5 before leading the k12/zen project. He's just a beast in cpu design. I'm glad Su had the good sense to kill the k12 plans and go full zen because that would have been another misstep and would have killed amd as a company.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Yah, I built a few Athlon-based machines back in the day. In fact, the first DAW (digital audio workstation) I built for my new company in 2003 was an overclocked Athlon machine. It was incredibly fast.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Yah, I built a few Athlon-based machines back in the day. In fact, the first DAW (digital audio workstation) I built for my new company in 2003 was an overclocked Athlon machine. It was incredibly fast.
Built a few of those for folks back in the day. Athlon (pre-64) made for a hardy recording machine but if someone had the $$$ we'd spec out a dual pentium III. We used mostly CL Audigy and Terratec ( local bands). Seems like I remember M Audio and ST Audio having break out boxes and we might have built one or two of those. My buddy Jim was the guru with all that. I mainly just had to make sure we were making money on it. Learned a lot from him, though.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
I get nostalgic remembering the Athlon/Pentium 3/4 era.

Speaking of nostalgia, what was your first computer?

Mine was an old Packard Bell 386SX with a 16MHz 386, 1 MB of RAM, a 40 MB HDD, a SoundBlaster 1, VGA graphics, 3 1/2 and 5 1/4 floppy drives, a modem rated in Baud rather than KBs and a dot matrix printer. OS was DOS and Windows 3.1. Learned to code BASIC on it. Ran X-Wing and Prince of Persia like a champ. Got it when I turned 9. Loved that computer and to this day consider it the best birthday present I ever received.

Last edited:

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
I get nostalgic remembering the Athlon/Pentium 3/4 era.

Speaking of nostalgia, what was your first computer?

Mine was an old Packard Bell 386SX with a 16MHz 386, 1 MB of RAM, a 40 MB HDD, a SoundBlaster 1, VGA graphics, 3 1/2 and 5 1/4 floppy drives, a modem rated in Baud rather than KBs and a dot matrix printer. OS was DOS and Windows 3.1. Learned to code BASIC on it. Ran X-Wing and Prince of Persia like a champ. Got it when I turned 9. Loved that computer and to this day consider it the best birthday present I ever received.
Panasonic 8086 8mhz w/ 640k, monochrome monitor, and 2 5.25 floppy drives. A year after I got it, I installed a 20 MB hard drive, purchased for $330.

It really was a solid machine--it never wore out, but after seven years it got to the point where it couldn't run anything new.

That's not my stuff, but the PC on the far right is the same model I had.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.