ESPN Reporting Daboll is New OC

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Mystery surrounds change to Alabama offense in post-Lane Kiffin era

Players have kept the answers cryptic throughout the spring, leaving few hints as to how much things will change.

"Just the offense is a little different," receiver Calvin Ridley said. "Going to see a lot of new guys on defense. Like I said, the offense is a little different, so not too much."

Different how?

"Just like more of a, it's just a little different, you know," Ridley said. "Lots of little differences. But not too much. I don't know. I really don't want to say too much, but not much different."
Either Bama is installing an offense no one has ever seen before, or Calvin Ridley didn't want to say something that caused him to no longer speak to the media.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Guess this is as good a place as any to post this.

Nick Saban returns Lane Kiffin’s subtle jab with one of his own on Birmingham radio

On Wednesday, former Crimson Tide offensive coordinator Lane Kiffin took what many considered to be a subtle jab at his former boss when answering a question about Saban’s coaching style compared to his own on Sirius XM radio.

The money line from Kiffin was: “I’m not really big on humiliating the assistant coaches in front of everybody.”

On Thursday, Saban had a radio interview of his own with The Opening Drive morning show in Birmingham. And while Saban didn’t address anything Kiffin said on the surface, you didn’t have to dig too deep to find what appears to be a subtle jab of his own.

Saban was asked about the development of rising sophomore QB Jalen Hurts, and he gave a carefully worded response. The meaning of which is in the eyes of the beholder.

“I think we protected him a little bit last year and it didn’t enhance his development,” Saban told The Opening Drive. “And sometimes later in the year when people played us in a way that we needed to be able to throw the ball, we may not have been as efficient as we would have liked to have been. That was probably our fault as coaches because we protected him instead of developing him as a young player. The goal this spring, and certainly before next season, is that we can create more balance by being a better passing team to go along with what we’re able to do with our feet as a quarterback. As well as how that creates balance for our overall offense and utilizes some of the other skill players that we have which we didn’t always take advantage of last year.”

So, just to recap, Saban took an upbeat question about the performance of his starting quarterback and turned it into a critique of the play calling, offensive talent utilization and quarterback development from his coaching staff last season.
Maybe it's nothing in regards to Saban-Kiffin, but that does give some insight as to some of the offensive flaws in 2016.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Our passing game kinda devolved into nothing but screens, the jet sweep shuffle pass, and deep shots on the outside. We were never able to establish competency at completing passes over the middle. Around midseason I sorta realized that we simply were not going to go over the middle much which told me it was likely a playcalling direction more than an apprehension on the QB's part. In the national championship, Clemson - who had probably as good of a pass rush + coverage combo we saw last year - made us throw inside more and you could see the lack rhythm on those plays all night.

The assessment that Hurts was never developed past some very limited passing game concepts is easy to see even for a layman. Saban probably blames himself for not pushing Kiffin enough. Perhaps Kiffin was getting pushed but not really delivering...couldn't tell you.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
No since in rehashing it there was plenty of blame to go around. I fully believe the games at the end of the season were called largely they way coach wanted them called. He overplayed his hand with the defense. It worked until the very last second.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.