ESPN Reporting Daboll is New OC

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Re: Report: Sark to be Named Falcons OC

Nolan, that is your opinion and you are entitled to it, as I am mine. To be determined, is exactly that, we will have to wait and see how Coach Daboll will do with the increased responsibility and added pressure in a much higher visibility job. I expect him to do well, not because of where he failed or succeeded but because Coach Saban has enough confidence in him to make him his OC. FWIW, I have not, and will not call out any poster for their over exuberance in supporting our team or offering an opinion different than mine.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
I think we all know that Bill Belichick and Coach Saban are pretty tight. I don't see any reason he would recommend Daboll if he wasn't pretty positive about him. We just have to trust CNS and see what this guy can do. Frankly it's kind of refreshing to have an OC that doesn't come with baggage! We'll be fine.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Nolan, that is your opinion and you are entitled to it, as I am mine. To be determined, is exactly that, we will have to wait and see how Coach Daboll will do with the increased responsibility and added pressure in a much higher visibility job. I expect him to do well, not because of where he failed or succeeded but because Coach Saban has enough confidence in him to make him his OC. FWIW, I have not, and will not call out any poster for their over exuberance in supporting our team or offering an opinion different than mine.
Yeah but you said "TBD" to Prof saying it's pretty good Daboll was in line to replace McDaniels in NE.

How's that "TBD?" I'm sure you can see how that's seen as negative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
With all due respect to Crimson Prof, Nolan and you ; I still contend that being a TE coach in the NFL is no guarantee of being a successful OC at the highest level in college football. I am fully supportive of Coach Saban's hiring Coach Daboll, but will not offer any further opinions on our coaching hires.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
With all due respect to Crimson Prof, Nolan and you ; I still contend that being a TE coach in the NFL is no guarantee of being a successful OC at the highest level in college football. I am fully supportive of Coach Saban's hiring Coach Daboll, but will not offer any further opinions on our coaching hires.
With all due respect, you don't seem to understand what was said in the first place.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
The little lights aren't twinkling.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Can anyone succeed in Cleveland? Look up the definition of "dumpster fire" and it's the Browns.

I think this is a philosophy shift for sure and I'm glad. If we go fastball it'll be when running the ball which is fine. I think the OL is set to be another mauler bunch that could get fun to watch.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Can anyone succeed in Cleveland? Look up the definition of "dumpster fire" and it's the Browns.

I think this is a philosophy shift for sure and I'm glad. If we go fastball it'll be when running the ball which is fine. I think the OL is set to be another mauler bunch that could get fun to watch.

Cleveland: Where football talent goes to die.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

He was a bust as an OC in the NFL but he has good "lineage" as far as it goes.
Your only a bust if you have a team full of talent, and don't use it to your best advantage.
The best QB want have many completions, unless he has great receivers. The Best Receivers want have much success unless a QB can get the ball to them. THE BEST COACHES NEED ENOUGH TALENT IN THE RIGHT SKILL POSITIONS TO WIN.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu

Gray, I know that you don't "call out" people on here. Neither do I - and I am not trying to antagonize you. I guess what I'm getting at is the sense of entitlement some Alabama fans have with the level of success our beloved team has had since 2008. Not you, my friend, but I think you know what I mean...the attitude that the winning will go on and on forever and ANY bump in the road is a crisis.

You said it well enough when you said (and I paraphrase), "Coach Saban's confidence in Daboll is what matters." With that, I totally agree.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Whether good or bad,I have to think that with Cristobal movingon, that'll be a shot in the arm.[/QUOTE]

On field play, maybe, although the positions he was responsible for ( OT`s and TE`s ) played well IMHO (when Cam paid attention to the snap count, that is ). Our problems were on the inside. Recruiting, I`m not sure at all I can agree with that.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

Gray, I know that you don't "call out" people on here. Neither do I - and I am not trying to antagonize you. I guess what I'm getting at is the sense of entitlement some Alabama fans have with the level of success our beloved team has had since 2008. Not you, my friend, but I think you know what I mean...the attitude that the winning will go on and on forever and ANY bump in the road is a crisis.

You said it well enough when you said (and I paraphrase), "Coach Saban's confidence in Daboll is what matters." With that, I totally agree.
No problem here, Nolan just my opinion FWIW. If I stepped over the line I apologize; I need all the friends I can get. :cool2:

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Whether good or bad,I have to think that with Cristobal movingon, that'll be a shot in the arm.[/QUOTE]

On field play, maybe, although the positions he was responsible for ( OT`s and TE`s ) played well IMHO (when Cam paid attention to the snap count, that is ). Our problems were on the inside. Recruiting, I`m not sure at all I can agree with that.
Yep, he was an incredible recruiter. I meant "on the field."

Our OL hasn't been bad the last couple of years - we've actually been darn good. Call me greedy, but I want the 2012 "we are gonna do what we do and you know it" version again!

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Yep, he was an incredible recruiter. I meant "on the field."

Our OL hasn't been bad the last couple of years - we've actually been darn good. Call me greedy, but I want the 2012 "we are gonna do what we do and you know it" version again![/QUOTE]

Indeed, who doesn`t !! Dominant O line play waxes and wanes. Like a lot of things in life, it takes the confluence of a lot of different factors coming together at the same time (coaching, talent, chemistry, etc., etc. ).

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Perhaps it is Coach Saban's most underappreciated accomplishment that he hires these no-names out of a phone book....and turns them into coaches that people want.

Who exactly was Jim McElwain when Saban hired him? He had TWO YEARS as an OC, one with the pathetic Oakland Raiders.....a team where Mac helped them to their worst-ever 16-game record (2-14) and zoomed up the road to Fresno State. He took their offense from about 24ppg in 2006 to 32.9 the next year (although I'd argue that replacing LSU and Washington on the schedule from the year before to ATM and K-State had much to do with it....they averaged 45 ppg in 2007 against those two OOC foes and 13 in 06 vs LSU/Washington).

The guy was a literal nobody. Two years as an OC, one lackluster one in the NFL and one year in the little league.

Comes to Alabama and wins the West his first year with a mediocre QB, wins it all the next year with an average at best QB, and wins it all again two years later with a developing star who's still green.

Goes to CSU and does well enough that blue blood Florida comes calling.

Who was Doug Nussmeier? Well, he succeeded Mac at Fresno for his first OC job then went to UW as Sark pulled them out of the Ty Willingham Abyss (TWA). Came here and despite some horrific play calling won a national title (insert 2012 Manziel game here).

Virtually every hire Saban has made has been an upgrade. This time he hired a guy who isn't going to be headed somewhere after we win the SEC again next year while preparing for the playoff.

Think about it just in terms of 2017: if we go unbeaten (like this past year), Diablo won't get any credit for it anyway......if we lose because of a sputtering offense, it will be all his fault but he'll be spotted a bit because of all the turmoil at OC.

But everyone brace yourselves.......because guess who the fans are going to blame if we lose a 51-48 shootout with somebody? Somehow.....that will be the OC's fault. Just watch.

I'm cautiously optimistic. I want a stoic, competent, disciplined play caller with a two elements: 1) we're gonna run and you can't stop it; 2) if you do, we're still going to light you up, even if we have to line up a tight end inside the line.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.