ESPN Reporting Daboll is New OC

bamadws56

All-SEC
Sep 24, 2005
Fort Benning, GA
I know he was tight ends coach at NE and that we was the heir apparent to OC position there. Can someone in the know please summarize his quarterback coaching credits. I believe I read somewhere in here he coached Brett Favre. I'm not sure how much you really coach that guy depending on when it was in his career.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I know he was tight ends coach at NE and that we was the heir apparent to OC position there. Can someone in the know please summarize his quarterback coaching credits. I believe I read somewhere in here he coached Brett Favre. I'm not sure how much you really coach that guy depending on when it was in his career.
Matt Cassell is the best qb he has had as an OC.

He was the Jets QB coach in 08 so yes Brett was there, but unless you think McDaniels has a huge impact on how good Brady is as a 39 year old qb then I wouldn't credit Daboll with the same with Farve who just the year prior put up pretty good numbers for the packs.

His biggest accomplishment is being a part of all 5 SBs the Patriots have won in some form or fashion while taking a huge break from them. I think he is a pretty good hire if you want a more conservative approach, but the problem is our offense is built around Kiffin's players. We need to hope his play calling is more like McDaniels play calling in that we can run or pass at will. I know McDaniels has a huge plus behind center, but he is more balanced than what people give him credit for.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
McDaniels has OC'd some of the Pats offenses that were at their absolute peak of explosiveness with Brady. This is his second stint there and they've been better with him on offense than without.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
pretty good hire if you want a more conservative approach, but the problem is our offense is built around Kiffin's players. We need to hope his play calling is more like McDaniels play calling in that we can run or pass at will. I know McDaniels has a huge plus behind center, but he is more balanced than what people give him credit for.
Blake Sims was here LONG before Kiffin was.

I seriously doubt Jake Coker went from "don't have a clue where I'm going" to "I'm going to Alabama because of Lane Kiffin" in the two weeks between Kiffin being hired and Coker announcing his transfer.

Besides - this argument undercuts the whole "Kiffin has to do X with Hurts because Y" argument.

Not that I disagree with your central point because I don't.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Blake Sims was here LONG before Kiffin was.

I seriously doubt Jake Coker went from "don't have a clue where I'm going" to "I'm going to Alabama because of Lane Kiffin" in the two weeks between Kiffin being hired and Coker announcing his transfer.

Besides - this argument undercuts the whole "Kiffin has to do X with Hurts because Y" argument.

Not that I disagree with your central point because I don't.
I'm talking about the type of athletes we have had on offense between 2014- present to the 2008-2013 on offense. Daboll theoretically will be closer to the Mac style offense of a heavy running game. Granted that Kiffin was effective when he called a run play, but his offense relied on being or appearing balanced. Mac never relied on that even though Julio was by far one of the biggest mismatches in football.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
I can say that if Bill Bellichick says the guy can coach then I will have to agree. Same goes with CNS. On the OD this morning del greco said he thought we had to "settle" with this hire. My statement to him would be: we didn't have to hire a search firm to come up with a guy that was still coaching high school a few years ago. If there are organizations at the highest level of football willing to pay you to run their offense, you might be a decent coach.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
I'm talking about the type of athletes we have had on offense between 2014- present to the 2008-2013 on offense. Daboll theoretically will be closer to the Mac style offense of a heavy running game. Granted that Kiffin was effective when he called a run play, but his offense relied on being or appearing balanced. Mac never relied on that even though Julio was by far one of the biggest mismatches in football.
81, I'm a fan of many of your posts, but I don't really see a difference in the type of players recruited by any of our OCs, other than QBs who can certainly run a bit. But then you have Mac Jones, who is more from the traditional mold.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
McDaniels has OC'd some of the Pats offenses that were at their absolute peak of explosiveness with Brady. This is his second stint there and they've been better with him on offense than without.
But again how much of that is play calling compared to qb coaching. Brady had Weiss long before he had McDaniels and won more Super Bowls with Brady than McDaniels. Point is Brady was already one of the best qbs when McDaniels got him. It could be said that Weis had the most impact on Brady's progression.

Not saying McDaniels or Daboll didn't have any impact on Brady and Farve, but it's hard to judge how much because they were already elite qbs when they got them. But my whole point is taking the 2008 season Daboll had with Farve isn't a good thing to go off of when comparing success with qbs. What he has with Hurts is going to probably be the most different type qb he has ever had to work with. That's not a negative, but it could take time for both him and Jalen to adjust to the new style each brings to the table.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Sadly, his last name is apparently pronounced "Day-bull."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Here at The University of Alabama (fanbase). We claim other people's national titles. Give it ten years and we'll be claiming Clemson's national title because Dabo is a Bama alum. We decide whether we lose or simply just "un-win". So if we decide his name is Duh-ball. Then by goodness his name is "Run Duh-ball". He doesn't have much say in it. ROW TIDE!!!! AIGHT!!!!???

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al
Here at The University of Alabama (fanbase). We claim other people's national titles. Give it ten years and we'll be claiming Clemson's national title because Dabo is a Bama alum. We decide whether we lose or simply just "un-win". So if we decide his name is Duh-ball. Then by goodness his name is "Run Duh-ball". He doesn't have much say in it. ROW TIDE!!!! AIGHT!!!!???

We beat USC bad enough last year that I say we go back and claim their national titles under Pete Carrol.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
One could argue that under Weis the Patriots we're winning with defense, but under McDaniels, they're winning with offense.

We could argue whether or not that is the case all day, but that wasn't my point. My point was if someone wants to say that Daboll was Farve's qb coach at the Jets... what does that really mean? The guy already was the league leader in TD passes and had already been viewed as a top 5 qb at his current state. So the question goes back to who has Daboll really developed as qb?

Fwiw I'm very optimistic about this hire

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
We could argue whether or not that is the case all day, but that wasn't my point. My point was if someone wants to say that Daboll was Farve's qb coach at the Jets... what does that really mean? The guy already was the league leader in TD passes and had already been viewed as a top 5 qb at his current state. So the question goes back to who has Daboll really developed as qb?

Fwiw I'm very optimistic about this hire
This is why I'm leaning more to the tenth assistant being a QB coach. Would work more along the NFL offensive style and put Daboll's full concentration on the game plan while allowing a dedicated person to work with the QBs.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.