ESPN Reporting Daboll is New OC

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I'm not going to lie and say I'm excited by Daboll. I'm not, I don't see how I can be. There's no success in his career to point to and get excited over. :conf2:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I'm not going to lie and say I'm excited by Daboll. I'm not, I don't see how I can be. There's no success in his career to point to and get excited over. :conf2:
Maybe it's just my point of view, but you don't have to be "excited" about it to simply "trust" it. I think CNS's 4 titles in his tenure at Bama allows me to trust him even if I don't personally understand/approve of this hire.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Not many, if any, Bama fans look at this hire and jump up and down. It's not a riveting hire at all. Saban's overall history of hiring assistants gives us comfort in the hire, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I don't think some are giving CNS the "benefit of the doubt" on this hire.

Some here or some out there? I think 99% of the people here are giving him the benefit of the doubt, but are more wondering what things are going to change under Daboll. The issue with Daboll is no one, and I mean noone has a clue to that answer with the exception that he wont be an off the field liability. And another huge issue we have to worry about is him developing Qbs. Jalen had a phenomenal year, but he has to progress. Daboll doesnt have a track record of developing qbs. Someone mentioned Farve in 08, but there are three things to that.... 1) Farve was a future HOF at the end of his ride, 2) he threw 22 TDs and 22 Ints with Daboll, and 3) the next year with Minnesota he lit up the scoreboard.

Also people keep on the Belichick's next man up. But lets look at Daboll's career:

1997William & Mary (RE)
1998–1999Michigan State(GA)
2000–2001New England Patriots (DA)
2002–2006New England Patriots (WR)
2007–2008New York Jets (QB)
2009–2010Cleveland Browns (OC)
2011Miami Dolphins (OC)
2012Kansas City Chiefs (OC)
2013New England Patriots (Asst.)
2014–2016New England Patriots (TE)
2017–presentAlabama(OC/QB)

So he has been at New England for 11 years out Belichick's 17 year run. And 9 of those on offensive positions. BB is like CNS in that he doesnt like crap from his coordinators, and he doesnt like coordinators to make him or Tom Brady to look stupid on TV like Mr. Obrien did.( IDK if I can link it because I cant read lips as good as others) but here is some images.

then..

But Daboll is was more likely in that position due to his familiarity with Tom Brady and BB knew he wouldnt show his butt like Obrien did.

Basically what many are saying is we are glad the search is over, but we arent overally excited or disappointed either way because there is nothing to go off of per his resume. We just want football season to start.

Last edited:

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
The press has to sell clicks and unfortunately for DaBoll Gus and Freeze haven't done anything to make themselves look stupid lately so.... Somebody's got to go under the bus.

Saban of course could care less what they think of his hire.

I heard someone on JOX say that this was "a move in the wrong direction" toward "something that didn't work". My jaw fell open at that point, I seem to have this memory of three national championships running the same pro spread that New England runs.

The Kiffin offense which we have run the last three seasons has produced some great numbers and spactacular plays but the downside is that it depends too much on the quarterback and has a feast or famine nature to it. Many plays are run with little expected success which serve only to tire out the defense or set them up for later. This inconsistency resulted in putting the defense out there for more snaps relative to what they might have gotten if the offense ran the pro spread. The weakness of the Kiffin offense showed mostly against the best competition. against weaker competition the mismatches resulted in blowout wins with eye popping stats. What we saw previously running the pro spread was sometimes frustratingly lower scores against teams we were going to beat anyway, but when we needed them to produce against the best competition the offense often came forward with their best games. By produce it wasn't always reflected on the score board, but it was always reflected in the time of posession. Time of posession is huge in football. At the half time of the Clemson loss when I looked at the time of posession I knew then we were in big trouble, the scorboard was irrelevant at that moment. Winning is about control.
It looks like you can take Freeze out of your statement!

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
As long as this hire turns out better than the applewhite and Greg brown hires i am okay with it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Not many, if any, Bama fans look at this hire and jump up and down. It's not a riveting hire at all. Saban's overall history of hiring assistants gives us comfort in the hire, though.

If you read this, it is a repost of what KrAzY said, not my comment. I have no problem with CNS's hire of Coach Daboll. You obviously have an issue with my comment of TBD but not with other posters who have expressed more negative opinions about this hire. That is your opinion and until I am banned from Tidefans I will state my opinion.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
If you read this, it is a repost of what KrAzY said, not my comment. I have no problem with CNS's hire of Coach Daboll. You obviously have an ssue with my comment of TBD but not with other posters who have expressed more negative opinions about this hire. That is your opinion and until I am banned from Tidefans I will state my opinion.
I agreed with you. I said it wasn't an exciting hire. Just commenting that while it's not an exciting hire we can trust Saban based on his hiring history.

Your "TBD" comment made no sense to what you quoted. That's what a few of us tried to say. It's a few days ago and no reason to rehash it.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I totally agree that the hiring of Coach Daboll might appear to be unexciting, but I have every confidence that CNS knows what he is doing. As far as I am concerned, we are good and on the same page. Roll Tide.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
If my comments needed any clarification, I can't point to recruiting success because he hasn't had any, I can't point to success as a QB coach because I surmise Farve taught him more than he taught Farve, and considering his offenses were ranked, 29th, 30th, 20th, and 32nd, I certainly can't point to NFL success as a coordinator. I'm not going to delude myself into saying I see something I like there, because I don't.

However, this is the anti-Kiffin hire. Here's someone who obviously has the trust of two of the most demanding, and best head coaches in the history of football. I doubt he has the recruiting prowess Kiffin has, I also doubt he is the offensive mastermind that Kiffin is (though I could be pleasantly surprised). In turn, I doubt he's going to let his ego get in the way, I doubt he's going to be insubordinate, and I doubt he's going to have off field issues. I also doubt he's going to kind of take some games off, and be distracted. To me this hire says that Saban has a lot of trust in himself, his staff, and his players. He doesn't need some kind of genius calling the plays, he apparently more than anything needs someone he can rely on. If Daboll excels beyond that, perhaps that will just be icing on the cake.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
McDaniels has said that Daboll was 100% involved in every aspect of the offense at NE. He attended meetings for every group, and was involved in every aspect of game plan preparation and implementation. He was clearly being groomed for an OC position with NE, and NE has had quite a few during the Belichick years because his guys get promoted.

Do we know that Daboll will work out at Alabama? No. But if he was ready for Belichick to hand him the reins at NE, he is ready for this challenge at Alabama. And his NFL experience, great personality and his SB rings, will make him a slam dunk recruiter. The relationships with the HS coaches are already there, built by his predecessors at Alabama.

Daboll was a total unknown before the hire, but I don't think that he will be in a few years.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
If my comments needed any clarification, I can't point to recruiting success because he hasn't had any, I can't point to success as a QB coach because I surmise Farve taught him more than he taught Farve, and considering his offenses were ranked, 29th, 30th, 20th, and 32nd, I certainly can't point 'to NFL success as a coordinator. I'm not going to delude myself into saying I see something I like there, because I don't.

However, this is the anti-Kiffin hire. Here's someone who obviously has the trust of two of the most demanding, and best head coaches in the history of football. I doubt he has the recruiting prowess Kiffin has, I also doubt he is the offensive mastermind that Kiffin is (though I could be pleasantly surprised). In turn, I doubt he's going to let his ego get in the way, I doubt he's going to be insubordinate, and I doubt he's going to have off field issues. I also doubt he's going to kind of take some games off, and be distracted. To me this hire says that Saban has a lot of trust in himself, his staff, and his players. He doesn't need some kind of genius calling the plays, he apparently more than anything needs someone he can rely on. If Daboll excels beyond that, perhaps that will just be icing on the cake.
I can't point to recruiting success because he hasn't had any
The selling point for his recruiting success will be his experience and attachment to the NFL. Flashing his Super Bowl rings will be a great example and the NFL pipeline is already firmly braced through T-Town.

I certainly can't point to NFL success as a coordinator
Agreed. But he has most recently been exposed to and learned from one of the most prolific and successful offenses of the modern era. And the talent level at Bama won't be an issue. We don't have a Tom Brady, but neither does anyone else.

anti-Kiffin hire
Could not agree more. And I like it. I was one of those who disliked the Kiffin hire initially but it grew on me and I was good with it until such time as he became disconnected. We all have events and choices in our lives that effect our performance and dedication but his guy seems to be more stable and devoted to his craft than CLK and/or CSS.

has the trust of two of the most demanding, and best head coaches in the history of football
Amen. This should, IMO, put all Tide Fans anxiety about the hire in check.

doubt he's going to kind of take some games off, and be distracted
I think you're spot on here. See all above.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
McDaniels has said that Daboll was 100% involved in every aspect of the offense at NE. He attended meetings for every group, and was involved in every aspect of game plan preparation and implementation. He was clearly being groomed for an OC position with NE, and NE has had quite a few during the Belichick years because his guys get promoted.

Do we know that Daboll will work out at Alabama? No. But if he was ready for Belichick to hand him the reins at NE, he is ready for this challenge at Alabama. And his NFL experience, great personality and his SB rings, will make him a slam dunk recruiter. The relationships with the HS coaches are already there, built by his predecessors at Alabama.

Daboll was a total unknown before the hire, but I don't think that he will be in a few years.
But again how much was that because of familiarity and timing over actual skill as an OC. Belichick would rather have Tom Brady call plays himself with a guy that has input here and there, over a guy that he has to hold back because he loses it on the sideline with his star qb. Daboll is a SAFE pick, and that is more of the point of both CBB and CNS wanting him. So unless safe is what you consider a slam dunk hire, then I find it hard to say he is.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Brady Quinn details what Daboll brings to Alabama, Hurts

Former Notre Dame quarterback Brady Quinn played under new Alabama offensive coordinator Brian Daboll during two of his seven stops in the NFL, and on Wednesday, he provided some insight into what the now former New England Patriots’ tight ends coach will bring to Tuscaloosa.

“I would describe him as a guy who, one, is incredibly passionate about the game of football,” Quinn said during an interview on The Cole Cubelic Show on 730 The UMP. “You can just tell by his enthusiasm in meeting rooms and going through film and things of that nature, just in your preparation.

“A lot of times it can kind of get stale in that quarterback room, but Dabe’s does a good job of really keeping things upbeat, keeping them light, keeping things competitive. That’s one thing you’re going to see from him right away. He’s got a lot of energy and a lot of excitement for the game.

“But his preparation is unbelievable. Jalen Hurts, or whoever the starting quarterback’s going to be for Alabama, is going to be prepared week in and week out. The way he breaks down film, his background as far as the coaches that he’s coached underneath and I think the things that he taught me early on in my career in the NFL were extremely beneficial as far as understanding coverages and where the weaknesses are in defenses and how to utilize your gameplan to the best of your ability.”

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I am amazed at those who have expressed that this is not a "hot" or "sexy" hire. Who do we think we are? CNS has hired him and obviously has immense trust and confidence in his abilities. What more would we want? The last time I checked CNS does not run a popularity poll to determine his coaching moves. If CNS had hired Mickey Mouse or Gus Malzahn I would have cheered...

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I am amazed at those who have expressed that this is not a "hot" or "sexy" hire. Who do we think we are? CNS has hired him and obviously has immense trust and confidence in his abilities. What more would we want? The last time I checked CNS does not run a popularity poll to determine his coaching moves. If CNS had hired Mickey Mouse or Gus Malzahn I would have cheered...
No the issue is a few here are disappointed because not all of us are jumping up and down just because he has 5 SB rings and was set to be McDaniels replacement if he left. Most of us are just wanting to see what he can do.

lowend

All-SEC
Feb 20, 2005
IF he works out, I would much rather hand the program off one day to a person with the background and mentality of a Daboll, as opposed to the Kiffin/Sark offensive background/personal mentality.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I am excited about Coach Daboll. Coach Saban isn't going to have to babysit this guy. If his work ethic is like everyone is saying it is, we will be o.k.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I am excited about Coach Daboll. Coach Saban isn't going to have to babysit this guy. If his work ethic is like everyone is saying it is, we will be o.k.
As crazy as it sounds this may have been one of the main selling points with Daboll. Regardless of how good of a play caller he will or will not be. Given the length of time he's worked under Belichick, you know he is a hard worker, doesn't mind putting in the hours and doesn't have to be watched over. After the Kiffin and Sark experiment that could have meant more to Saban than any play he called on the field.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.