ESPN Reporting Daboll is New OC

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Personnel dictates a great deal in terms of formation usage rates. For example, we ran more I-form than any time since Shula in 2014 when Jalston Fowler was healthy all year. It is hard to see how the tendencies will go next year. We're actually pretty experienced at TE while a little thin at WR...but who knows at this juncture.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

New offensive coordinator Brian Daboll is learning spread offense, Nick Saban says

“Brian’s got a lot of experience,” Saban said. “He’s coached 11 years with the Patriots and (four) years in the NFL as an offensive coordinator. He coached with us at Michigan State.
“I think he’s got a lot of knowledge and experience in the pro game as well as being a very bright guy that can learn some of the things that we’ve done here relative to the spread and do what our players can do here.”

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
We did that last year as well. I didn't think lot will change like that, but we will probably see us running the ball little more than throwing. I hope Daboll can adapt the spread offense and go from there. I think we'll see more balanced throws across the field. I think we'll see better use of the tempo, when to go fast, when not to go fast. I just hope that we cut down the use of bubble screen/ PA screen and motion run plays.

bama61

1st Team
Aug 24, 2004
North Alabama
Saban pretty much putting a halt to the idea of changing the offense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not sure why people believe that ball control and passing are mutually exclusive. Four or five yards a pop is ball control no matter whether the ball has been handed to a running back or thrown to a tight end, to a back out of the backfield, or perhaps to a wide reciever on a bubble screen. Short gains are short gains and two or three pops equaling a first down looks like ball control to me.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I'm not sure why people believe that ball control and passing are mutually exclusive. Four or five yards a pop is ball control no matter whether the ball has been handed to a running back or thrown to a tight end, to a back out of the backfield, or perhaps to a wide reciever on a bubble screen. Short gains are short gains and two or three pops equaling a first down looks like ball control to me.
Someone should pass this on to Saban.

:biggrin2:

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Saban pretty much putting a halt to the idea of changing the offense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Coach is a little testy with that question. Not sure what he expected. Of course the Pats throw it 60% of the time -- they have Tom Brady. I sure to heck hope we don't try that!!

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
I pretty much believe after that rant that yeah we will be more ball control next year. If read Jess's spring preview, i sort of gather the impression that if we can't run it with consistency and physically draining the clock in the process we won't have the same defense as last year to bail us out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Coach is a little testy with that question. Not sure what he expected. Of course the Pats throw it 60% of the time -- they have Tom Brady. I sure to heck hope we don't try that!!
Coach has been playing defense on Daboll's behalf until the Texas Rangers could announce that Brady's jersey was found in somebody else's possession...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Conversation with Brian Daboll has Alabama back in race for top WR

Jacob Copeland admits that Alabama wasn’t one of his top schools before visiting Tuscaloosa in late February for the team’s junior day event. The reason why he wasn’t high on the Crimson Tide is because he believes Alabama usually has one focal wide receiver and that’s it.

Copeland, the nation’s No. 9 wide receiver in the Class of 2018 from Escambia High School (Pensacola, Fla.), mentioned how Calvin Ridley, Julio Jones and Amari Cooper were the go-to receivers for the Tide and the team didn’t spread the ball around as much as he likes to see out of schools he’s considering.

After sitting down with new offensive coordinator Brian Daboll last month, though, he’s under the impression that Alabama will spread the ball around more than it did under Lane Kiffin.

“It seems like they’re going to change the game up a little bit,” Copeland told SEC Country. “We chopped it up for a while when I was there and he said they want to pass the ball more this year. Usually, Alabama only focuses on one wide receiver, so I didn’t really have much interest in them. After talking to him, Alabama is getting back up there. I want to see what they look like throwing the ball this season.
Either Daboll knows what to say to recruits, or Bama's offense isn't going to be as run-heavy as many thought.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Just rewatched the clip. I believe his main issue with the question with the incorporation of the Clemson game. He quickly became defensive while pointing out the issues with the offense - play-calling/coaching, dropped passes, missed blocks, etc. Could have possibly been his way of trying to defend Jalen since people have brought up Jalen's issues throwing over the last couple of games.

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006
After the departure of Sarkesian, there have been numerous postings by people including JessN that we were going back to a run oriented offense. I assumed that people were making these comments based on the hiring of Daboll and insider knowledge. I often wondered if CNS had decided this before or after Sarkesian left. I mean did he just decide that Sarkesan is gone so now would be a good time to change the offense?

So I went back and looked at the breakdown between pass and run over the last several years.

2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016

Run 58.2% 63.4% 55.3% 55.6% 58.7% 60.5%

Pass 41.8% 36.6% 44.7% 44.4% 41.3% 39.5%

So based on these stats it does not look like we have changed the run pass ratio over the last several years. So if we really haven't changed the quantity of the run, are people indicating that we are going to change the way we run? Or we jumping to conclusions? CNS seem to indicate yesterday that the primary change we are going to make is to teach Jalen how to do a better job passing.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
After the departure of Sarkesian, there have been numerous postings by people including JessN that we were going back to a run oriented offense. I assumed that people were making these comments based on the hiring of Daboll and insider knowledge. I often wondered if CNS had decided this before or after Sarkesian left. I mean did he just decide that Sarkesan is gone so now would be a good time to change the offense?

So I went back and looked at the breakdown between pass and run over the last several years.

2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016

Run 58.2% 63.4% 55.3% 55.6% 58.7% 60.5%

Pass 41.8% 36.6% 44.7% 44.4% 41.3% 39.5%

So based on these stats it does not look like we have changed the run pass ratio over the last several years. So if we really haven't changed the quantity of the run, are people indicating that we are going to change the way we run? Or we jumping to conclusions? CNS seem to indicate yesterday that the primary change we are going to make is to teach Jalen how to do a better job passing.
Since I don't count those "hand offs" to your WRs as pass plays, in my book you were far more run heavy last year than in previous years, but what you lacked was physicality at the LOS. You were a finesse team on offense last year. You ran people over in previous years.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Just rewatched the clip. I believe his main issue with the question with the incorporation of the Clemson game. He quickly became defensive while pointing out the issues with the offense - play-calling/coaching, dropped passes, missed blocks, etc. Could have possibly been his way of trying to defend Jalen since people have brought up Jalen's issues throwing over the last couple of games.
I agree. It was the context of how the question was presented. It was also like opening a wound and pouring salt in it.

Though the part I liked the best was CNS (as a Defensive Coach) also said that it wasn't JUST the offenses fault. Everyone has kept bringing up the 90+ plays ran against the defense for months...yet CNS basically said if the Defense gets off the field on 3rd down themselves..... then they don't have to face those extra plays and series. That's true and he owned it and also put blame on the coaching staff. You win as a team and lose as a team and both sides of the ball played a part in not winning....as well as the staff. I appreciate him owning that part.

He hates losing more than he enjoys winning. I'm sure that game is still a very sore spot right now and he just wants to move on to this next season. I know I do....Sept can't get here fast enough.

tidefan82

1st Team
Aug 16, 2000
Opp,Alabama,U.S.
We played too much hurry up offense against a hurry up offense team. Several times we snapped the ball with 15 or more seconds left. Should have snapped it at 2 seconds. Ball control is the best way to beat a hurry up offense team. Rotating defensive players helps too! RTR anyway. Our great run is not over! Thank you to the players and coaches, and staff!

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Best part of the article:

"It's pretty obvious to me that we don't have enough respect for the deep part of the field in the back end," Saban, Alabama's perpetually dissatisfied head coach, huffed.
Well, I thought so!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.