ESPN Reporting Daboll is New OC

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
But again how much was that because of familiarity and timing over actual skill as an OC. Belichick would rather have Tom Brady call plays himself with a guy that has input here and there, over a guy that he has to hold back because he loses it on the sideline with his star qb. Daboll is a SAFE pick, and that is more of the point of both CBB and CNS wanting him. So unless safe is what you consider a slam dunk hire, then I find it hard to say he is.
I did not say that he was a slam dunk hire as an OC. I said that he was a slam dunk hire as a recruiter. Mark it down - those super bowl rings are going to pay dividends when he visits recruits.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Regardless of how good of a play caller he will or will not be.
I got the impression that Saban wanted more input/control over the offense than he had under Kiffin. Even when discussing Helfrich, I started thinking it might be best if the offense was more of a collaboration between Saban/Helfrich/Locksley. In this case, Daboll clearly has some competence on the offensive side, and has experience as a play caller. But, his best asset might be that he's not going to reject input from others around him.

not all of us are jumping up and down just because he has 5 SB rings and was set to be McDaniels replacement if he left. Most of us are just wanting to see what he can do.
I never really bought into the pedigree thing. I mean I didn't think Mike Shula was going to be a great head coach because his dad was, I never really felt like every assistant Saban had was destined for success, I think it's too easy to assume there's some magic fairy dust that gets sprinkled around, but there's not a whole lot of that. This guy got the job not because he was with the Patriots, he got the job because he had the trust of some important people. The number of rings (while it might help recruiting) or his place in line is somewhat superfluous.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I did not say that he was a slam dunk hire as an OC. I said that he was a slam dunk hire as a recruiter. Mark it down - those super bowl rings are going to pay dividends when he visits recruits.
Yet Charlie Weis's ( 3 rings as the Patriots OC) phone doesn't ring for OC jobs anymore.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
I'm of the camp that believes it's a very good thing to wake up each day and not be embarrassed by a member of your coaching staff. The rest is negotiable.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Yep. There is a reason Coach Saban leaves his NC rings on his coffee table in his office. Success breeds success. And I think this was a slam dunk hire no matter what some say.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
If Weis were to start working for Saban, he would be a top recruiter. Believe it.
Is your point that CNS is a great recruiter or Daboll? Because we know the former is true, but not the latter. You seem to suggest that the 5 SB rings mean a lot to recruits, but 99% of Bama fans had no clue who Daboll was until the hire. And I would wager that 99% of the recruits had no idea either. So where is this slam dunk recruiter coming from?

If you are basing this off of Mac being a mediocre recruiter at Florida, but an awesome recruiter at Bama then I ask "What's new? CNS still is the reason, case and point.". I would call a slamdunk recruiter a person like LK and Sark who can further amplify CNS's dominance in recruiting by getting recruits way outside the normal pipeline. I consider this a Mac and Nuss pick in which they are coming because of what CNS is selling regardless of who is the OC. Which isn't a bad thing.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Is your point that CNS is a great recruiter or Daboll? Because we know the former is true, but not the latter. You seem to suggest that the 5 SB rings mean a lot to recruits, but 99% of Bama fans had no clue who Daboll was until the hire. And I would wager that 99% of the recruits had no idea either. So where is this slam dunk recruiter coming from?

If you are basing this off of Mac being a mediocre recruiter at Florida, but an awesome recruiter at Bama then I ask "What's new? CNS still is the reason, case and point.". I would call a slamdunk recruiter a person like LK and Sark who can further amplify CNS's dominance in recruiting by getting recruits way outside the normal pipeline. I consider this a Mac and Nuss pick in which they are coming because of what CNS is selling regardless of who is the OC. Which isn't a bad thing.
If you do not believe that recruits will not be impressed by 5 SB rings, you are nuts. They will not need to know who he was. They will just need to see the rings and envision themselves having the same type of success working with him.

You must not have teen aged kids. I do. Mine have seen a number of championship rings, NFL and NCAA. They are still blown away when they see them.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
If you do not believe that recruits will not be impressed by 5 SB rings, you are nuts. They will not need to know who he was. They will just need to see the rings and envision themselves having the same type of success working with him.

You must not have teen aged kids. I do. Mine have seen a number of championship rings, NFL and NCAA. They are still blown away when they see them.
Being impressed and being committed are two different things. When they ask Daboll what positions he held while getting those rings he will say Defensive assistant (36), WR coach (38,39), and TE coach (49,51). That amounts to Ray Horton or Brian Flores coming down to college saying "look at my rings". Players come to Alabama to play for Nick Saban, and the chance to play for titles and go to the NFL. Bottom line, until it is proven, Nick Saban seals the deal on recruits. The only time in the last 10 years that it wasn't 100% the case was when Kiffin was the coordinator. Kiffin's style and personality towards players made recruits that were outside of the CNS pipeline come to Alabama more often. Point is SB rings are nice, but they aren't the difference between a commit and a non commit.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
I liked the hire from the beginning, but I neglected to read some of our member posts as I haven't read this thread until today.
I shall temper my enthusiasm and hope for the best.

....and as always RTR

:BigA:

Last edited:

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Being impressed and being committed are two different things. When they ask Daboll what positions he held while getting those rings he will say Defensive assistant (36), WR coach (38,39), and TE coach (49,51). That amounts to Ray Horton or Brian Flores coming down to college saying "look at my rings". Players come to Alabama to play for Nick Saban, and the chance to play for titles and go to the NFL. Bottom line, until it is proven, Nick Saban seals the deal on recruits. The only time in the last 10 years that it wasn't 100% the case was when Kiffin was the coordinator. Kiffin's style and personality towards players made recruits that were outside of the CNS pipeline come to Alabama more often. Point is SB rings are nice, but they aren't the difference between a commit and a non commit.

A couple of points:

1. Are you minimizing the role assistants play in establishing personal relationships between a player, his family and a school? Saban is CFB's best closer, perhaps ever. But coaches like Lupoi and Cristobol set the hook.

2. Are you overestimating the role Kiffin played in recruiting? Total narcissists don't convey a lot of warmth and sincerity toward others.

Last edited by a moderator:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
A couple of points:

1. Are you minimizing the role assistants play in establishing personal relationships between a player, his family and a school? Saban is CFB's best closer, perhaps ever. But coaches like Lupoi and Cristobol set the hook.

2. Are you overestimating the role Kiffin played in recruiting? Total narcissists don't convey a lot of warmth and sincerity toward others.
Point 1) Where are you pulling me minimizing assistants. Big is saying Daboll= slam dunk recruiter with no recruiting history to show for it.

Point 2) If you don't think LK is an elite recruiter then I don't know what to tell you. He is probably every rotten and negative thing you can call him off the field and probably as mediocre as a HC, but the guy recruits very well in his ownright.

Last edited by a moderator:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Point is SB rings are nice, but they aren't the difference between a commit and a non commit.
They are more than nice, but I agree that the bigger deal is the Alabama and Saban brand. My point is that Daboll is a slam dunk recruiter at Alabama because of the rings. He is. You might want to wait until he lands a few recruits to see the proof, but it will happen. He will make the list of best recruiters in the nation. Mostly because of Saban and Alabama, but also because of what he brings to the table - and right now, that is 5 SB rings - nothing else that the recruits will recognize.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Once, Kiffin was an elite recruiter. On a staff filled with elite recruiters, he didn't stand out -- except in college bars.

Point 1) Where are you pulling me minimizing assistants. Big is saying Daboll= slam dunk recruiter with no recruiting history to show for it.

Point 2) If you don't think LK is an elite recruiter then I don't know what to tell you. He is probably every rotten and negative thing you can call him off the field and probably as mediocre as a HC, but the guy recruits very well in his ownright.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Hunter Brannon is the only non-QB player from this recruiting class that Lane got. His recruiting this year was fairly limited.

Will Daboll's SB rings be a magnet to get recruits to Bama? Doubtful. They will, however, be a selling point. "You see what's on my finger? You want to get to the NFL and possibly play for one like it, right? Well, Alabama will prepare you for the NFL."

BAMAfan777

1st Team
Jun 25, 2010
Anyone get the feeling that Daboll is on loan from the Patriots, until the current Patriots OC eventually moves on?

No worries though, Bama likes to mix it up every few years or so anyway at the OC position.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
The rings thing, it's a plus but it's like Saban driving a nice car. You'd hope Alabama gets guys who pay more attention than that, but on the other hand it sure doesn't hurt to give them something shiny to look at.

As far as Kiffin, one reason I haven't ranted and raved about him, and really taken time out to bash him is he really was exactly what one might have expected. There were moments of offensive genius tempered by immaturity and distraction. The way I see it, and this is kind of a fascinating contrast to Daboll, but the way I see it Kiffin got Alabama one NC and probably lost them another.

At the end of 2015 Kiffin was masterful in his playcalling. Alabama cruises to 38 against Michigan St., but the real impressive feat was what Kiffin's offense did against Clemson. Clemson was 13th ranked defense that year, they were not pushovers, and Alabama got into a shootout, putting up 45 points. If anything, that year it was the defense that was ill-prepared and Smart who was distracted. So, the really weird thing about his tenure is the way I see it things kind of evened out. You got the good Kiffin when you had to have a good Kiffin and then you got the bad Kiffin when perhaps even an reasonably competent OC could have gotten the job done.

We can't really tell what Daboll is beyond reliable and trustworthy. His struggles as an offensive coordinator in the NFL were hindered by other factors, and I always felt like even mediocre in the NFL usually translated to good in college as far as coaches go (Saban, Stallings, and Spurrier for instance didn't exactly have a ton of NFL success). The recruiting thing, he's literally never recruited D1 athletes. To say he'd be good or bad as a recruiter is kind of like guessing what type of politician he'd be, how the heck would we know? This is just one of the situations where Saban got what he wants and eventually we'll figure out exactly what that is.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Why new Alabama OC Brian Daboll may be similar to Lane Kiffin in one respect

While praising Alabama's appointment of Brian Daboll as the team's offensive coordinator, Chad Pennington made an unsolicited observation about the organization that previously employed the most notable newcomer to the Tide's staff.

"From New England's perspective and playing against them and watching them play over the years, it will be a lot of one-back offensive scheme sets," said Pennington, the former NFL quarterback who once worked under Daboll with the New York Jets.

Yes, "11" personnel was a staple package in the Patriots' offense while Daboll served as tight ends coach. During the 2016 regular season, the lineup combination New England featured most regularly included three wide receivers -- Julian Edelman, Malcolm Mitchell and Chris Hogan -- with tight end Martellus Bennett and running back James White. Eighty-four percent of Tom Brady's 432 passes during the regular season were delivered with three or more wideouts on the field.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.