ESPN Reporting Daboll is New OC

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Re: Report: Sark to be Named Falcons OC

"Pretty good"? LOL! IMO it was outstanding.
It was indeed phenomenal and I'm amazed at the ridiculous lack of appreciation. A true freshman goes 14-1 as a starting QB, makes first team All-Sec, runs what should have been the winning touchdown, in the clutch, in the national championship game, and get's nothing but, "He has to improve or look out".
I'm without words at how spoiled and unrealistic some of our fan base can be.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

He was a bust as an OC in the NFL but he has good "lineage" as far as it goes.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

He was a bust as an OC in the NFL but he has good "lineage" as far as it goes.
Any NFL coach is either incredibly helped or hampered by talent he had no hand in drafting. So a lot of it's really out his hands, depending on how good or not good the players are that he has to work with. I don't think Coach would have hired him unless Belichik recommended him. Not sure if he did or not but would imagine so.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

He got opportunities as an OC at 3 different places but none of them were long stints. You are right, circumstances dictate a ton in the NFL...none of his OC jobs were desirable openings.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

He got opportunities as an OC at 3 different places but none of them were long stints. You are right, circumstances dictate a ton in the NFL...none of his OC jobs were desirable openings.
Think coach wants to go away from the hurry up/no huddle? I kinda get that feeling but have no idea.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007

So what do y'all think of the hire?
Saban really wanted him badly. That is the primary consideration. The question was whether he would come. Belichick really likes him and he was the heir apparent to Josh McDaniels.

It likely marks at least a lean back to Bama's pre-Kiffin past.

His OC past is dismal record wise. But he was at Clev with HC Mangini, Brady Quinn, Derek Anderson, Colt McCoy, "old" Jake Delhomme and Seneca Wallace as his starting QBs. 10-22; Miami with interim HC Todd Bowles, Tony Sporano, then Matt Moore, Chad Henne as starting QBs. 6-10; KC with HC Romeo Crennel, then Matt Cassel and Brady Quinn as QBs. 2-14. That is a bad batch of HCs and a wretched group of QBs, most of whom were not even good NFL backups. Every stop was with teams in transition. At least he was wanted by 3 teams in 4 years 😊.

You can rationalize anything, but we'll see what he can do with A+ skill talent and HC, A OL talent and undetermined OL coaching.

I'm frankly pleased for a few reasons: mostly Saban's enthusiastic approval, Belichicks assessment, a likely move towards Bama's pre Kiffin's offensive philosophy (though I liked Kiffin's results and think he got more out of his 3 years than most would have). Like a coach told Finebaum, "you could hand over this offense to a McDonalds checkout girl and do OK".

The only caveat is if the Bama braintrust thinks a college team can run NE's offense they are wrong. Brady's pre and post snap reading ability is NFL legendary. There are no college QBs like that. But that's so obvious that it does not seem possible they could make that mistake. Saban knows.

Last edited:

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

Saban really wanted him badly. That is the primary consideration. The question was whether he would come. Belichick really likes him and he was the heir apparent to Josh McDaniels.

It likely marks at least a lean back to Bama's recent past.

His OC past is dismal record wise. But he was at Clev with HC Mangini, Brady Quinn, Derek Anderson, Colt McCoy, "old" Jake Delhomme and Seneca Wallace as his starting QBs. 10-22; Miami with interim HC Todd Bowles, Tony Sporano, then Matt Moore, Chad Henne as starting QBs. 6-10; KC with HC Romeo Crennel, then Matt Cassel and Brady Quinn as QBs. 2-14. That is a bad batch of HCs and a wretched group of QBs, most of whom were not even good NFL backups. Every stop was with teams in transition. At least he was wanted by 3 teams in 4 years .

You can rationalize anything, but we'll see what he can do with A+ skill talent and HC, A OL talent and undetermined OL coaching.

I'm frankly pleased for a few reasons: mostly Saban's enthusiastic approval, Belichicks assessment, a likely move towards Bama's pre Kiffin's offensive philosophy (though I liked Kiffin's results and think he got more out of his 3 years than most would have). Like a coach told Finebaum, "you could hand over this offense to a McDonalds checkout girl and do OK".

The only caveat is if the Bama braintrust thinks a college team can run NE's offense they are wrong. Brady's pre and post snap reading ability is NFL legendary. There are no college QBs like that. But that's so obvious that it does seem possible they could make that mistake. Saban knows.
good insightful post...thanks

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

My guess is we'll be as multiple as ever, keep the QB run stuff, but more judiciously use tempo. We'll likely do a bunch of no-huddle still but less quick snap.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu

My guess is we'll be as multiple as ever, keep the QB run stuff, but more judiciously use tempo. We'll likely do a bunch of no-huddle still but less quick snap.
I agree. There may be less "hurry up" but there will probably be a lot of no huddle, creating substitution issues for the defense. Also, the NE Pats have shown the ability to go fast when needed, and seem to use it very effectively in spots. I know yardage wise we ran the ball very well last year. However, I can see us doubling-down on that while improving the PA game.

Harmost

All-American
Sep 19, 2005

The only caveat is if the Bama braintrust thinks a college team can run NE's offense they are wrong. Brady's pre and post snap reading ability is NFL legendary. There are no college QBs like that. But that's so obvious that it does not seem possible they could make that mistake. Saban knows.
Could probably expand that caveat to say that if we think we're getting any bit of what NE has going on, we're wrong. What goes on there, stays there; even very successful parts of that organization generally haven't been able to replicate NE's ways outside of the NE organization.

I agree though that's it's pretty encouraging that Saban wanted him so badly and that Belichick seemed to think highly of him, if what people are saying about that is true. Saban's had a pretty brilliant hire-spotting eye, so even though I think this one looks like a bit of a stinker based on, you know, Daboll's actual body of work (I think at best we'd have to say we don't know what we're getting with Daboll, talent-wise; and that's essentially the point that a lot of you are making with the "well, everyone around him was bad" discussions), I've gotta think there's something there.

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006

Well, it appears that CNS has taken a liking to coordinators with no hair.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.