How does history look upon Harry Truman in 2017?

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Ive been listening to Dan Carlin's newest podcast of "Hardcore History", history fans should really check it out. His latest podcast is entitled "The Destroyer of Worlds" which talks about the Nuclear Age of the world from 1945-1962. His first 2/3 of the program focuses on 1946-1952, and the Truman response to the new world. Carlin pretty much leans toward the argument that the US government abruptly changed due to the atomic question, and the Truman administration was caught learning on the go. But he also leans that Truman may in fact be the best president in the Cold War until Ronald Reagan because of the political pressure of furthering the nuclear program and the determination to avoid WWIII at all costs with generals like Patton, MacArthur, and Lemay itching at the bit to fight another total war. Harry Truman has often been criticized for multiple things such as not wiping the Russians of the face of the earth when they weren't an atomic power before 1949, Firing Mac, and not listening to Oppenheimer on the Hydrogen Bomb. But do those criticisms miss the point that Carlin suggests in that the overall goal was to avoid a 3rd World War at all costs.

So is Truman actually one of the best presidents, or he was he a weak one?

Last edited:

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
I look at Truman very favorably. He pulled no punches. He was strong enough to fire MacArthur. He supported national health care. "The buck stops here"

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/updates...uman-calls-national-health-insurance-program/

Just don't criticize his daughter's musical ability!

Mr. Hume:
I've just read your lousy review of Margaret's concert. I've come to the conclusion that you are an "eight ulcer man on four ulcer pay."
It seems to me that you are a frustrated old man who wishes he could have been successful. When you write such poppy-.... as was in the back section of the paper you work for it shows con
clusively that you're off the beam and at least four of your ulcers are at work.
Some day I hope to meet you. When that happens you'll need a new nose, a lot of beefsteak for black eyes, and perhaps a supporter below!
Pegler, a gutter snipe, is a gentleman alongside you. I hope you'll accept that statement as a worse insult than a reflection on your ancestry.

https://www.trumanlibrary.org/trivia/letter.htm

H.S.T.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I look at Truman very favorably. He pulled no punches. He was strong enough to fire MacArthur. He supported national health care. "The buck stops here"

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/updates...uman-calls-national-health-insurance-program/

Just don't criticize his daughter's musical ability!

Mr. Hume:
I've just read your lousy review of Margaret's concert. I've come to the conclusion that you are an "eight ulcer man on four ulcer pay."
It seems to me that you are a frustrated old man who wishes he could have been successful. When you write such poppy-.... as was in the back section of the paper you work for it shows con
clusively that you're off the beam and at least four of your ulcers are at work.
Some day I hope to meet you. When that happens you'll need a new nose, a lot of beefsteak for black eyes, and perhaps a supporter below!
Pegler, a gutter snipe, is a gentleman alongside you. I hope you'll accept that statement as a worse insult than a reflection on your ancestry.

https://www.trumanlibrary.org/trivia/letter.htm

H.S.T.
Listening to Carlin I have a ton of respect for Truman and Kennedy because standing up to the old WWII heroes in the joint chiefs wasn't something that was going to be something that the American populace would easily accept. Truman received immense backlash for firing Mac who was willing to start WWIII in Korea. But it was the only logical decision that could have been made.

Last edited:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
So it is OK for Truman to promote his daughter's musical career, but Trump is wrong to promote his daughter's fashion career.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Come on Crimson!:) Does everything have to devolve to Trump or Obama ? I don't know if Harry was promoting his daughter's career as much as lambasting the music critic. That is a good point, however. Imagine the reaction if President Trump sent a similar letter to someone.:eek2:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Come on Crimson!:) Does everything have to devolve to Trump or Obama ? I don't know if Harry was promoting his daughter's career as much as lambasting the music critic. That is a good point, however. Imagine the reaction if President Trump sent a similar letter to someone.:eek2:
My comment was somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but I do think there is a slight similarity. But I agree he was defending his daughter rather than try to promote her music career. I also agree it would be quite a sight to see if Trump wrote someone a letter like that if they said her clothing line sucked.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
My comment was somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but I do think there is a slight similarity. But I agree he was defending his daughter rather than try to promote her music career. I also agree it would be quite a sight to see if Trump wrote someone a letter like that if they said her clothing line sucked.
Seems I read that her clothing line is losing more and more stores but her perfume line is a best seller.

"Mr. President, Nordstroms is saying Ivanka's clothing line sucks"

Donald picks up phone " General, reprogram the strike coordinates for one nuclear-armed missile". :eek:

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Seems I read that her clothing line is losing more and more stores but her perfume line is a best seller.

"Mr. President, Nordstroms is saying Ivanka's clothing line sucks"

Donald picks up phone " General, reprogram the strike coordinates for one nuclear-armed missile". :eek:

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
Mixed bag, like most. His projection of a very direct manner is generally remembered, but sometimes his political maneuvering gets disremembered in the nostalgia. He was a protege of Black Jack Pershing and was very astute in the art of political posturing for the public. His nominal Klan membership is probably the most noted instance, but his initial support and immediate withdrawal from Winston Churchill vis-a-vis his "Iron Curtain" speech is probably more telling.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
It is worth remembering that Truman ordered the use of force in Korea without a declaration of war (maybe not the first time the US employe force without a DoW, but certainly the biggest up to that point).
For those who discount the "slippery slope" as a fallacy, here is one case in point. Nowadays, we send soldiers all over the place to fight without any declaration of war.
Truman's precedent has to count for something in the balance.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.