Jerry palm has us as first four out (actually 1st out) 2.18

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I know I know about ifs and buts, candy and nuts...I can't help and wonder how this team would be viewed right now if we had closed out any of the very winnable games against Dayton, Oregon, or Kentucky. Or not had the team down the road blemish our resume.
Right now our worst losses are to Texas, and Auburn. Our best win is South Carolina. We absolutely have to win out and win 1 or 2 in the SEC tourney. Are we one of the best 68 teams in the country? I think so, but our RPI will need to in the 40's to get in and most of the teams we play from here on out won't help in that regard. We have to hope that there are very few upsets in the conference tourneys or we are NIT bound. Frankly, we are about where I expected we'd be at this time of year. Coach Johnson has done a masterful job in conference play so far IMHO.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Right now our worst losses are to Texas, and Auburn.
I'm on record as not caring about Auburn as much as some people, but those two losses to Auburn really get under my skin. The Texas loss was earlier in the season, when Alabama was still figuring some things out. The Auburn losses though? This is a point where Alabama is playing great, and Auburn is playing lousy, and Alabama just couldn't get it done against them. You take the entirely realistic scenario, that Alabama shows up and plays good basketball against Auburn and we're talking about an Alabama team that's 11-3 in conference (third) and an Auburn team that's 3-11 and third from the bottom. Alabama both kind of bailed Auburn out and gave them a second chance, while at the same time shooting holes in their chances. A 18-8 Alabama team that's playing great basketball would have had the inside track right now.

Having said that, I'm happy overall with where they are as a team, I'm happy to see their progression, and while it seems very unlikely they make it in this year, things certainly seem to be heading the direction we want them to go.

carder24

All-American
Sep 1, 2007
Huntsville, AL
the officiating was horrible, but those auburn games are inexplicable to me; and we should have finished off texas, which didn't seem as bad at the time, but that loss has aged poorly...good thing we still have a lot to play for to close out the season

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
If Ar'Mond Davis was playing like he is now in January (much less December), there's no telling what this team's record would be. In February he's averaging 16.6 minutes a game and 8.2 points a game. During the three previous months, he averaged 11.6 minutes and 5 points a game. Not necessarily the biggest increase in points, but he seems to be coming into his own right now.

He's providing some key depth at a critical time in the season.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
It is all about match ups. Wiley was a match up problem in the 1st game. Our bigs just didn't show up. That and the refs screwed us royally. The 2nd game they just shot the ball better than the had all year. They were 56% shooting 3's which never happens.
As a far as the big Dance, it is a long shot to be sure, but at least we still have a shot. I'd guess the NIT is where we will end up. We'll have to win the SEC tourney or beat UK or Florida along with no more regular season lossesto get in the into the big dance.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
It is all about match ups. Wiley was a match up problem in the 1st game. Our bigs just didn't show up. That and the refs screwed us royally. The 2nd game they just shot the ball better than the had all year. They were 56% shooting 3's which never happens.
As a far as the big Dance, it is a long shot to be sure, but at least we still have a shot. I'd guess the NIT is where we will end up. We'll have to win the SEC tourney or beat UK or Florida along with no more regular season lossesto get in the into the big dance.
I think if we win out the Reg Season -- and we can get to the Semis, we win. Vandy winning is helping us. Beating UGA will help too.

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
Regardless of whether we end up in the NCAA or NIT this team has made major improvement from just last season to this season. I'm proud of this team and they will only continue to get better. I think next season, depending on the development of some of our younger players and improvement in free throw shooting, we should get back to the NCAA tournament. The really exciting thing is that we ,mathematically, still have a chance to make it in this season.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I think if we win out the Reg Season -- and we can get to the Semis, we win. Vandy winning is helping us. Beating UGA will help too.
There an awful lots of moving parts right now. We have to get our RPI into at worst the mid 40's. We just don't have any team on the schedule that will help with the RPI number right now. If we end up 4th we'll have a double bye in the SEC tourney which may work against us. We also need all the favorites to win the conference tourneys. We need the extra game against a quality opponent. On the plus side, we could end up winning the tourney and get the automatic if the seeding falls right along with a few upsets on the other side of the bracket. It is not impossible.

We have an uphill battle, but at least we are still alive, albeit barely, for a bid. There are a lot of teams that have no chance at this point.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Once the NCAA tournament automatic qualifiers fill a slot there aren't many slots left. We nee the favorites to win every conference tournament.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.