Jerry palm has us as first four out (actually 1st out) 2.18

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Right now we sit as the five seed in the conference tournament. Beginning to think we benefit more from playing that extra game than being one of the top four seeds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Let's say hypothetically we can go on a run here and get to the SEC Tournament at 20-10 (13-5). How well do you think we would have to do to make it in into the NCAA Tournament?

We should be able to Win the 2nd round game as the #5 Seed. Then in the QTR's we have to knock off probably either Arkansas or USCe again. Then the Semi's would be against either Florida or Kentucky. Championship is also against either Florida or Kentucky.

IMHO the best we can probably realistically do is win that 2nd round game, pull off a pretty decent upset of Arky/USCe in the Qtrs, then fall in the Semi's. That would leave us at 22-11 and establish us a solid 4th/5th best team in SEC. Enough to make it?

Last edited:

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Let's say hypothetically we can go on a run here and get to the SEC Tournament at 20-10 (13-5). How well do you think we would have to do to make it in into the NCAA Tournament?

We should be able to Win the 2nd round game as the #5 Seed. Then in the QTR's we have to knock off probably either Arkansas or USCe again. Then the Semi's would be against either Florida or Kentucky. Championship is also against either Florida or Kentucky.

IMHO the best we can probably realistically do is win that 2nd round game, pull off a pretty decent upset of Arky/USCe in the Qtrs, then fall in the Semi's. That would leave us at 22-10 and establish us a solid 4th/5th best team in SEC. Enough to make it?
Hard to say - I'm guessing a lot of depends on upsets - do the favorites win in other tournaments?

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

IMHO the best we can probably realistically do is win that 2nd round game, pull off a pretty decent upset of Arky/USCe in the Qtrs, then fall in the Semi's. That would leave us at 22-10 and establish us a solid 4th/5th best team in SEC. Enough to make it?
That would give us 11 losses.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Beat UGA and Ole Miss at home, win on the road against a bad aTm team and stay competitive with UT on the road, we should be the 5 seed in the tourney. As long as we beat the 12/13 winner and don't get run out of the gym VS the 4 seed, likely Ark, we should be in. DROP a game VS UGA, Ole Miss or aTm, then probably need to make the semi's.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I honestly feel like this. If we do finish on fire, we can get into the NCAA's. But if we don't, it's not going to be a huge disappointment to me. I see this team making progress every game, and I feel like that's quite an accomplishment.
We are not a great basketball team. We are probably, at this point, not deserving of an NCAA bid. If we get in we, in all honesty won't go far. That being said, in about two years, I think people like Dick Vitale are going to be raging about the Bama basketball program and how we are a contender in the national picture. Coach Avery is doing a phenomenal coaching job. RTR! sip

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I honestly feel like this. If we do finish on fire, we can get into the NCAA's. But if we don't, it's not going to be a huge disappointment to me. I see this team making progress every game, and I feel like that's quite an accomplishment.
We are not a great basketball team. We are probably, at this point, not deserving of an NCAA bid. If we get in we, in all honesty won't go far. That being said, in about two years, I think people like Dick Vitale are going to be raging about the Bama basketball program and how we are a contender in the national picture. Coach Avery is doing a phenomenal coaching job. RTR! sip
At least, it's worth watching. The AG years were painful to watch - a bunch of kids playing in strait jackets and glancing fearfully at the bench...

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
I feel like football. I don't want to postulate; one game at a time and then worry about a bid. Regardless, we have a good team with some exceptional talent coming in. Coach Avery is improving bit by bit.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
Will be nice to see guys like Vitale Rage Against The Crimson Machine:)

FThomas

1st Team
Oct 18, 2011
We were about lie this last year as we made it on the bubble only to fade down the stretch. I think the NCAA tournament will be tough to reach this year. We would really need to win out and make it to at least the semis of the conference tournament and in the tournament we need a scalp of a team that will likely make it to the tournament. Otherwise, we will pick up wins but not enough quality wins to make up much of a gap. So, hopefully we can see something like win out, win make it to the semis with a win over Arkansas. I think being a 5 seed would be best for us. Get a 2nd round win which we would likely need against Missouri or LSU, then try to take down Arkansas in the QF which would be a quality win. Unfortunately, just like last year, there is no wiggle room for a slip up.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
We were about lie this last year as we made it on the bubble only to fade down the stretch. I think the NCAA tournament will be tough to reach this year. We would really need to win out and make it to at least the semis of the conference tournament and in the tournament we need a scalp of a team that will likely make it to the tournament. Otherwise, we will pick up wins but not enough quality wins to make up much of a gap. So, hopefully we can see something like win out, win make it to the semis with a win over Arkansas. I think being a 5 seed would be best for us. Get a 2nd round win which we would likely need against Missouri or LSU, then try to take down Arkansas in the QF which would be a quality win. Unfortunately, just like last year, there is no wiggle room for a slip up.
I generally agree. I was looking at the other teams on the "bubble" - the good news -- is that most of them are in the same boat. We may be able to have a minor slip up -- against Arkansas or UGA...but, even then I'm not confident we would survive, but we could.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
...the NCAA tournament will be tough to reach this year. We would really need to win out and make it to at least the semis of the conference tournament and in the tournament we need a scalp of a team that will likely make it to the tournament. Otherwise, we will pick up wins but not enough quality wins to make up much of a gap.
Good assessment - addendum to your "otherwise" is that 'Bama's likely doomed by the strong SOS nonconference opportunities that got away.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Now, Jerry Palm has Alabama in the last four in playing in one of the First Four games. Wow, I'm shocked.
That wouldn't be bad. Those games get better individual attention than the R64 games. We aren't making the Final Four, so let's get as much publicity as possible.

carder24

All-American
Sep 1, 2007
Huntsville, AL
That wouldn't be bad. Those games get better individual attention than the R64 games. We aren't making the Final Four, so let's get as much publicity as possible.

I know I know about ifs and buts, candy and nuts...I can't help and wonder how this team would be viewed right now if we had closed out any of the very winnable games against Dayton, Oregon, or Kentucky. Or not had the team down the road blemish our resume.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.