making sure I am clear on something, is this also blocking free speech?

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
many of you Trump fans were pretty mad when Cal Berkley blocked this scumbag from talking, is it the same for CPAC?

http://money.cnn.com/2017/02/20/media/milo-yiannopoulos-cpac/index.html?adkey=bn

A weekend-long backlash over a decision to invite alt-right provocateur Milo Yiannopoulos to the Conservative Political Action Conference ended Monday with an abrupt reversal.
Yiannopoulos, an editor at Breitbart News and a frequent supplier of racist and sexist rhetoric, will no longer speak at the annual confab, a decision that appeared to catch him off guard.
"I haven't heard any indication that they are reconsidering," Yiannopoulos told CNNMoney early Monday afternoon.
That changed less than an hour later, with the sponsor of the conference, the American Conservative Union, announcing that it had rescinded Yiannopoulos' invitation.
The reason for the turnabout: A pair of video clips that surfaced Sunday in which Yiannopoulos appears to be speaking sympathetically about sex with young boys and cracking a joke about his own sexual encounter with a Catholic priest as a child.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
many of you Trump fans were pretty mad when Cal Berkley blocked this scumbag from talking, is it the same for CPAC?

http://money.cnn.com/2017/02/20/media/milo-yiannopoulos-cpac/index.html?adkey=bn
Not even close to the same as the Berkeley incident. The rioters silenced him like the rioters silenced Trump. It was a matter of public safety. This is an organization disinviting him on their own accord, and not forced to by rabid lunatics setting the town on fire.

Fwiw I'm not a milo fan nor do I care to hear him talk.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Not even close to the same as the Berkeley incident. The rioters silenced him like the rioters silenced Trump. It was a matter of public safety. This is an organization disinviting him on their own accord, and not forced to by rabid lunatics setting the town on fire.

Fwiw I'm not a milo fan nor do I care to hear him talk.
yes but everyone on the right was bashing Berkley and calling them a bunch of Snowflakes for backing down to the protesters and canceling Milo's talk. The were specifically calling Cal Berkley out for violating Milo the Pedo's first amendment rights. Did CPAC do the same?

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
It's no secret what this guy's viewpoint is on things so, I don't understand why CPAC, Berkley, or any one else, would invite him to speak if they are scared about the backlash or didn't want this type of message to be heard. I guess everyone is fine with free speech as long as it doesn't bring along any negative attention.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
yes but everyone on the right was bashing Berkley and calling them a bunch of Snowflakes for backing down to the protesters and canceling Milo's talk. The were specifically calling Cal Berkley out for violating Milo the Pedo's first amendment rights. Did CPAC do the same?
To me personally I have an issue with Berkeley in one regard, and that is allowing the riot to grow into the scale it was. I have no problem with them going the public safety route, but they should make it clear of what is a PROTEST and what is a RIOT. But Milo has 1st amendment rights like Farrakhan, Spencer, Sean King, Bannon, and anyone else you want to lump into the hateful deplorables.

But there is a difference between the two events, and I don't think either of them violated his 1st amendment rights. But I'm more critical of Berkeley's lack of control of the rioters.

Last edited:

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I could care less if CPAC invites or disinvites him. It is their decision to make and it does snot infringe on his rights. The Berkley situation was entirely different all around. That was more an issue of mob violence and the mob being guilty of infringement (private parties can infringe - see housing).

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
To me personally I have an issue with Berkeley in one regard, and that is allowing the riot to grow into the scale it was. I have no problem with them going the public safety route, but they should make it clear of what is a PROTEST and what is a RIOT. But Milo has 1st amendment riots like Farrakhan, Spencer, Sean King, Bannon, and anyone else you want to lump into the hateful deplorables.

But there is a difference between the two events, and I don't think either of them violated his 1st amendment rights. But I'm more critical of Berkeley's lack of control of the rioters.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
CPAC is a private organization and under no obligation to honor anybody's first amendment rights.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
CPAC is a private organization and under no obligation to honor anybody's first amendment rights.
For that matter, Berkley canceling his speech did not violate his first amendment rights. Just because he has a right to free speech does not mean that any other organization, public or private, has an obligation to provide him with a forum.

Aledinho

All-SEC
Feb 22, 2007
I think this is a better comparison:

Senator Mark Chelgren Aims To Purge Democrats From Iowa Universities

The party affiliation on your voter registration card could block you from employment at Iowa’s state universities were a newly proposed bill by Senator Mark Chelgren became law. Senate File 288, proposed by the Ottumwa legislator, could bring about a Soviet-style purge of liberal-leaning college staff in Iowa. Chelgren wants to impose an ideological litmus test in order to create a “partisan balance,” based on how Iowa has voted in past elections.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Is there nobody there to tell him proposing this bill is a bad idea?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
For that matter, Berkley canceling his speech did not violate his first amendment rights. Just because he has a right to free speech does not mean that any other organization, public or private, has an obligation to provide him with a forum.
This is less about Berkeley's decision to cancel a speech than policies (some governmental) which excuse and/or promote a culture of lawlessness and violence.

Protesters can attempt to peacefully exert influence over the university's decisions, but they don't get to destroy property and use physical coercion and intimidation to do so.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Hmmm...interesting argument.

Being a public institution meant to promote diversity of ideas, accommodation of free speech would seem to be the order of the day in this case, especially if the speaker has been invited by a valid student organization.

Aledinho

All-SEC
Feb 22, 2007
I see it like the Iran-Iraq War; I kind of want to see both of them annihilate each other, but know that eventually it will blow back on me.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Hmmm...interesting argument.

Being a public institution meant to promote diversity of ideas, accommodation of free speech would seem to be the order of the day in this case, especially if the speaker has been invited by a valid student organization.
True, but that has little to do with my post, which was that canceling Milo Breitbart (sorry, not even gonna try to spell his last name) did not infringe his right to free speech.

Sent from my LG G3

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
True, but that has little to do with my post, which was that canceling Milo Breitbart (sorry, not even gonna try to spell his last name) did not infringe his right to free speech.

Sent from my LG G3
So maybe Kim Davis' refusal to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples wasn't an infringement of a constitutional right. The couples could have simply gone somewhere else. Just because couples have a right to marriage does not mean that any other organization, public or private, has an obligation to provide them with a license.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.