Who is Cinderella this year?

BamaSully

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
Jackson, TN
Cinderellas are hard to predict. I do not have a good answer for that one.

Media darlings will be Louisville, USC and PSU.

My thought on Louisville is, they had their chance. They won't be sneaking up on anyone in 2017 so the results will be similar to the back half of 2016. QB will put up video game numbers again, but they will lose 3 or 4 games.

With Clemson losing so much talent and leadership, I expect at least a little drop-off. Don't be surprised if FSU wins the ACC and is either looking for payback for 9/2/17 or possibly we may be pulling for them to get in so WE can get payback.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Aren't "Cinderella teams" impossible to predict? Don't they typically rise from the unknowns at the beginning of the season to significance by season's end? Any of these teams that we think might be good really don't fit the definition do they?

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
I don't know if they count as a Cinderella -- but I could see a team like Stanford who has kind of fallen off the radar in the wake of Washington's season and the way USC finished come roaring back to win the Pac-12 and make the playoff.

I could see Texas winning the Big XII. I don't know if winning that conference will be enough to get in the playoff, but I could see them getting immediate results from Strong's quality recruiting classes.

The ACC, B1G, and SEC seem like they'll feature the "usual suspects."

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I don't know if they count as a Cinderella -- but I could see a team like Stanford who has kind of fallen off the radar in the wake of Washington's season and the way USC finished come roaring back to win the Pac-12 and make the playoff.

I could see Texas winning the Big XII. I don't know if winning that conference will be enough to get in the playoff, but I could see them getting immediate results from Strong's quality recruiting classes.

The ACC, B1G, and SEC seem like they'll feature the "usual suspects."
I think there will be tons of hype for Texas next year. I know it might not be popular among our fans, but I'm rooting for Texas to make a big comeback under Herman. Like you, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't challenge for the Big12 next year. They had an extremely young team and if Herman can help them turn the corner, they'll be good pretty fast.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
I think there will be tons of hype for Texas next year. I know it might not be popular among our fans, but I'm rooting for Texas to make a big comeback under Herman. Like you, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't challenge for the Big12 next year. They had an extremely young team and if Herman can help them turn the corner, they'll be good pretty fast.
It will be interesting -- Herman is a big name hire and Texas isn't the kind of school that can fly beneath the radar but I don't know if the huge hype will be there right away. It's been a long time at this point since Texas has really been a player on the national scene and with Baker Mayfield returning you'd assume OU would still be the prohibitive favorites in the Big XII.

I agree on wanting to see Texas be good again. It's nice to see fanbases humbled with some down years (Texas, Michigan, USC, etc.) but I think college football is at its best when the big time programs are good.

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016
"He leads them to a win over Clemson in week two I guarantee he will be."

Probably so :rolleyes:

Last edited:

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I think we have a different definition of Cinderella then.
I think everyone does. I have never heard Cinderella described that way ever. I have always heard "Cinderella" as a team that upsets teams they have no business upsetting. The only teams that were upset by Tennessee was Tennessee and their fans.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I think we have a different definition of Cinderella then.
My thoughts were that Cinderella went to the fancy ball in borrowed clothes and transport. She became a princess. Florida and Georgia are the current royalty in the SEC East. A great many pollsters thought Tennessee (the commoner) would get the glass slipper ..... and they did not.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
In the SEC it would be Vandy.

A true Cinderella.

Nobody really hates them.....no one really expects them to win.

If they did....I think most of us would enjoy seeing them do well (providing they don't beat us, of course!)

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
Hopefully my other team, the TCU Frogs! :)

If WR's improve this year, I expect big things from the offense. I just hope Kenny Hill progresses more. And Patterson has a veteran defense returning led by Travon Howard. Hopefully a Big 12 title isn't out of the question.

We play Arky in Fayetteville. That game will tell the tale I think. If TCU goes into that game and comes out of it being undefeated, then the hype might begin. We'll see. At least we get Baylor at Amon Carter this season. I smell another butt whipping coming for Baylor.

Last edited:

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
My thoughts were that Cinderella went to the fancy ball in borrowed clothes and transport. She became a princess. Florida and Georgia are the current royalty in the SEC East. A great many pollsters thought Tennessee (the commoner) would get the glass slipper ..... and they did not.
A Cinderella is one whom the elite, the powers-that-be, or the experts - in CFB, the talking heads - believe aren't good enough to be there in the end and therefore don't even deserve discussion. The Cinderella then goes on to not only be there in the end but also proves that they deserve it, after all.

Anyone whom the media trumps up - perhaps even as a dark horse - is, by definition, not a Cinderella.

As for my pick, I say Virginia Tech.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Oregon....
I'll second that nomination. I picked Washington in my 2016 Preseason Final 4 because of some of the same factors that 2017 Oregon has going for them. I'm not ready to select a 2017 Final 4 yet, but I would venture to guess that Oregon will be in the conversation.

Only two teams, Syracuse(20) and FAU(18), return more starters than does Oregon(17). They play five of their nine conference games at home in odd years. They do not play USC. The biggest negative is their off week is not until the 11th week and they play at Washington in the 10th week prior to the bye. Will be a very tired team and that is all but a sure loss. Their final two games are at home.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
I look to see the barn and LSU being big media darlings this year. They both have new OC's and the QB at the barn might be the best of all time!

It's hard to pick a cinderella team but I'll go with Iowa State.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Hopefully my other team, the TCU Frogs! :)

If WR's improve this year, I expect big things from the offense. I just hope Kenny Hill progresses more. And Patterson has a veteran defense returning led by Travon Howard. Hopefully a Big 12 title isn't out of the question.

We play Arky in Fayetteville. That game will tell the tale I think. If TCU goes into that game and comes out of it being undefeated, then the hype might begin. We'll see. At least we get Baylor at Amon Carter this season. I smell another butt whipping coming for Baylor.
The Big 12 is an absolute dumpster fire this year because of the 13th hour scheduling changes made to accommodate the reinstated CG. I doubt if any of them will be left standing. Texas Tech, for example, will be off the second week and will play six games on the road and five at home in the final 11 weeks before the CG. TTU will not have to worry about the CG.

The Baylor game will be TCU's eighth straight game in eight straight weeks with four of them on the road. Very little consolation that it will be Baylor's seventh straight game.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.