Who is Cinderella this year?

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Last year it was Tennessee who became the Cinderella darling. Who will it be this year?

Louisville, even though they have a five year recruiting average of 36.8. it will not slow down the media hype machine. I predict they will be favored (by many) to win the ACC and have a spot in the CFP. Who do you pick?

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
Last year it was Tennessee who became the Cinderella darling. Who will it be this year?

Louisville, even though they have a five year recruiting average of 36.8. it will not slow down the media hype machine. I predict they will be favored (by many) to win the ACC and have a spot in the CFP. Who do you pick?
Are you saying Louisville's got the Cards? :)
My choice for Cinderella is South Florida. Charlie Strong starting over with a pretty good team in place already.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I originally put USCw, but then read Dzyn definition and realized USCw will be a media darling not a Cinderella team. I'm going to have to think on this one. I assume the definition of a Cinderella team is a team that "wasn't supposed to be there" in the end but shows up at the ball ready to dance.

Last edited:

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

not to nitpick but Tennessee was not Cinderella. they were media darling. Cinderella was Washington.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
not to nitpick but Tennessee was not Cinderella. they were media darling. Cinderella was Washington.
Yeah, are we talking media-darling or true cinderalla? If we're talking media-darling (and in February, that's what would be much easier to discuss), I've got to join Buzz in saying USC. They've already gotten some talk about possibly being a CFP contender with Darnold's play the last part of the season.

Their Rose Bowl opponent Penn State might be another team the media starts hyping.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I don't think that there will be a Cinderella and also like Louisville and USC as the media darlings.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
They're going to play up Penn State folks. They were "almost there" and "deserved to be there" (not) and "overcame all the problems" (conveniently not mentioning these were totally self-imposed problems) blah blah blah ad nauseum.

And then the Lions will lose to Iowa in September on a last play something something and we'll be told when their three-loss team shreds Nebraska in November that "it's too bad they something something bad start because they're the best team in the country right now."

I think when UGA beats Notre Dame in September that 'they've turned the corner' becomes the mantra followed by 'they're the best in a poor Eastern Division.'

When FSU loses to Alabama - no matter the score - we'll be told later on how great they are and how great a rematch would be. If by some quirk of fate we lose to the Criminoles, the mantra becomes "the ACC is king" and "the game has passed Saban by" and "the dynasty is over."

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I originally put USCw, but then read Dzyn definition and realized USCw will be a media darling not a Cinderella team. I'm going to have to think on this one. I assume the definition of a Cinderella team is a team that "wasn't supposed to be there" in the end but shows up at the ball ready to dance.
Yes, I should have explained that Cinderella is someone who was not supposed to contend for a title.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
They're going to play up Penn State folks. They were "almost there" and "deserved to be there" (not) and "overcame all the problems" (conveniently not mentioning these were totally self-imposed problems) blah blah blah ad nauseum.
Penn State was my second choice and just like Tennessee did in 2015, Penn State came on strong a the end of 2016. But I went with Louisville 'cause they have Superman returning as QB.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
A team in Florida will become media darling for this year...

A team out west will be in playoff.

A team in Tennessee will fail to meet expectations.

A team in the south will be in Playoff again.

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016
If you are just talking about ESPN's media darling, take a look at weak demographic viewership and pick a team from that region. It's the first call out of the playbook for them every season. Won't be the upper tier commentators, more likely the hangers-on trying to get on management's good side. If the viewership was weak for The Big 12, like I think it was, bet's on OK or TX. I doubt there is a team in the upper New England area that will be good enough to get serious air-time. That would make them pretty excited though.

Also, if Barnett can get a win over USC, the hype machine will explode. Don't really expect that though.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.